cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping out constantly

Flamingm

Wifi dropping out constantly

Hi. I've been with Plusnet since January 20 and have had intermittent issues with connectivity ever since, particularly with apple products.
More recently the problem is more widespread, across android devices and smart tvs too. Line speed is almost non-existent. I'm on 4G sending this msg.
Following on from all I've read I've un synced the 5 ghz band to see if that stops the dropping off and poor speed.
Given this is an old issue and I'm a new customer I feel I've been mis-sold the package.
Is there anything else I should do before buying a new router and chucking the One hub in the bin.
Talk talk wasn't this bad!
8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Wifi dropping out constantly

Thanks for getting in touch @Flamingm and apologies for the delayed response.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your connection.

We've tested your line and we can't see any issues remotely with the physical line which points towards the connectivity between the router and your devices.

If you're still experiencing issues on the 2.4GHz wireless band we'd recommend changing the wireless channel if you haven't already done so

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Flamingm

Thanks for the reply. Having read most related posts I renamed and unsynched the bands which seems to have done the trick. All devices bar my Chinese listening device point to the 2.4 band and theconnection seems fine.
Speed is up to around 25-45 mbps (with Bluetooth switched off) which is better than it has been recently but still way less than the promised 66mbps.
How can I achieve the missing 20-30 mbps?
Cheers
DeeVee
Hooked

Hello FlamingM,

What does unsynching the bands mean ?

I'm experiencing problems similar to those you describe so unsynching might be worth a try.

Thanks

Flamingm

Hi DeeVee
I read it in a message on the forum, so I'm no expert! But it seems to have done the trick as connection seems constant with no drop outs (so far).
In the Plusnet hub go to 'Advanced Settings', 'Wireless', '5ghz wireless'. Change the 2nd line 'Sync with 2 4ghz' to no, then rename the 5ghz band by changing the Wireless SSID.
Hope that helps.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

@DeeVee Give us a shout if you need anything changing remotely (assuming you have the hub one) and we'll get it done for you.... or do as @Flamingm suggests.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
DeeVee
Hooked

Thanks Tony,

I tried turning 5GHz off but it didn't sort the problems. It didn't make any differenct to my laptop over wifi and in fact my phone could't connect to wi-fi at all nor could the Mac users

Flamingm

This does seem to have worked for me but my mbps remains around 40 with Bluetooth switched off. Or around 30 with it on. That's 25-35 mbps lower than the 66 I'm paying for. Any suggestions?
Thanks
KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @Flamingm

Have you tried the speeds over a wired connection?

Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team