cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Hub 2 Ignoring my Custom DNS Settings?

FIXED
madra
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Why is Hub 2 Ignoring my Custom DNS Settings?

Long long time ago I switched my Hub 2 router to use Google DNS.  This morning I got one of those random glitches in the matrix whereby the router reports it's connected to the internet, but nothing can get online. That's incidental to this query anyway, but  when I logged into the router, I saw that the DNS servers had apparently reverted to the Plusnet ones:

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 10.05.55.png

I thought maybe router settings had automagically been reset as my fibre BB package recently expired and I had to renew it again. So thought maybe that might have reset some settings on the router.

So I went nto the Advanced section to change the DNS server settings back to Google DNS again and found that the router is still supposed to be using those:

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 10.05.19.png

So why is the router [apparently] ignoring my custom settings and still using the default Plusnet DNS?

[and, of course I've tried rebooting the router]

Hmmm... interesting. I've just checked on my laptop, which is set to use DNS provided by the router and it is correctly showing Google DNS being used:

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 10.18.05.png

So, maybe the router is using Google DNS after all and it's just another example of the clunky interface showing wrong or confusing info?

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

Re: Why is Hub 2 Ignoring my Cistom DNS Settings?

Fix

So why is the router [apparently] ignoring my custom settings and still using the default Plusnet DNS?

It isnt!. The broadband status page is showing the DNS servers obtained from the PPPoE connection, which will be PLusnets.

Hmmm... interesting. I've just checked on my laptop, which is set to use DNS provided by the router and it is correctly showing Google DNS being used:

The custom DNS settings are in the LAN setup and are the DNS servers that the router will issue to DHCP clients ( instead of its 192.168.1.254 default) and as you see they are correct.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 98

Re: Why is Hub 2 Ignoring my Custom DNS Settings?

Hiya @madra 

Thanks for your patience and I'm sorry you are having an issue with your connection. 

The issue should now be resolved, please can you reboot the router and try to connect. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team