Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@Baldrick1 

Yes Plusnet are seeing the disconnections,

In fact they have sent me the "Radius" charts in an ongoing "Question"

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@dejjones 

Then you can be pretty sure that this is a line problem and not a hub reboot. All you can do is keep harrying Plusnet until they can get a proper Openreach network engineer to look at the problem

As it doesn’t happen very regularly this might not be easy. I suspect that your line has been banded to try to fix the problem, hence your speed reduction. Is it still over your guaranteed minimum?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dejjones
Rising Star

BT Perf. Test this morning showing speed below Minimum Guaranteed Speed.

I have reported this to Plusnet.

Screenshot from 2021-04-05 10-35-21.png

fredmoss44

Hi

i got fed up with hub one dns issues,  (was restarting the router 3-4 times per week,) and installed a bt business smarthub 6 about two weeks ago. It has cured the dns issue completely but i seem to get what i'll call pauses in my internet a few times a day, where nothing refreshes for a few seconds or so, or you get gameplay lagging or a call hangs and then returns to normal. These seem quite a bit more frequent than with the plusnet supplied  hub.  I used think broadbands ping service to see if i could track this down at all. it seems my latency except overnight regularly spikes to around 120ms. i never did this with the plus net hub so it might have been the same.

anyway has anyone else seen similar issues with the business smart hub or are they probably line related

cheers

Fred

fredmoss44

Sorry posted the wrong image that was from a colleague showing how much better his latency was than mine. this is the right image

apologies

Fred

Baldrick1

@fredmoss44 

#Why not put your Plusnet hub back and run the same test?

Moderator and Customer

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@fredmoss44  The two graphs show different issues, the first I believe has more available bandwidth. But I would be asking what is causing the yellow 24 hours a day, normally, as yours shows, you would expect it to die down when you are asleep.

With yours though, the increased latency will be due to your traffic using a higher percentage of the available bandwidth, but when not using it then the yellow dies down and back to normal.

What is your sync speed, and do you have an option to upgrade bandwidth?

fletpablo
Grafter

fredmoss44

hi have similar probelm have BT HUb 2.0 every 14 days on counter on hub it re boots never logging me out just takes over process of green light orange light then back to blue and works again for another 14 days the whole process is 30 secounds and no input from me 

it resets up time on line  line time on hub back to zero 

Baldrick1

@fletpablo 

Think of it not as a problem but a feature, all Smarthubs do it. 
If it happens at an inconvenient time then reset it at a time when you can stand the couple of minutes break to reset the time period.

Moderator and Customer

fletpablo
Grafter

Baldrick1

txs  for infomation

bt101

Hi @Baldrick1 

Many thanks for laying these instructions out so clearly and comprehensively!

I switched from NOW Broadband to Plusnet because the WiFi connection speeds offered by our NOW Broadband Hub Two router were really poor in our very modest sized house. When my Plusnet connection was activated and I connected the Plusnet Hub One router I found just the same issue of poor WiFi speeds if a WiFi device was any more than a couple of feet from the Hub One (wired connections enjoyed full speed).

After reading yours, and others', posts I sourced a brand new BT Smart Hub 2 on eBay for £25, altered the settings as per this post and, hey presto, the BT Smart Hub connected straight away. I now have WiFi across the whole house, including the garage and well into the garden. I'm managing to achieve 36 Mbps/9 Mbps on WiFi anywhere in the house on my 40 Mbps/10 Mbps Plusnet fibre broadband connection! 

Thanks to everyone that's posted on this topic and enabled me resolve my ongoing WiFi issues!

🐵

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Just for information there presently is an issue with firmware update BT issued a few weeks ago in relation to BT Smart Hub2 whereby it stops some peripherals taking to each other, like Sonus and printers see thread link below

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/BT-Smart-Hub-2-and-firmware-version-v0-26-03-01286-BT/td-p/1...

dejjones
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@fletpablo 

Think of it not as a problem but a feature, all Smarthubs do it. 
If it happens at an inconvenient time then reset it at a time when you can stand the couple of minutes break to reset the time period.

Since the 4th visit of an OR engineer my BT Smarthub 6 has been solidly connected, now over 22 days, I haven't even had the 14 day reset.

I have no idea what was done to cure my frequent disconnections, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it continues.

No idea why there was no disconnection after 14 days either; just thought it would be useful info.

cordoba

I am confused. I have Unlimited Fibre Extra. However, my Connection Details says that I have always on xDSL and that I should use use PPP for the server type. However, I have read that, for fibre, I should use PPPoE.

What am I - fibre or DSL? PPP or PPoE?

Any help  would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Baldrick1

@cordoba  Welcome to the forum.

Your Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) is suppled from a FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) box installed near you home. This service is incorrectly called fibre by ISPs. The x in xDSL means that the type (speed) is undefined.

You will find the differences between PPP and PPPoE (not PPoE) if you do a Google search. All that you need to know is that your hub should be set to use PPPoE.

Moderator and Customer