cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Farnzie
Dabbler

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

I've since done a factory reset and re-entered all my details and it now works again?Huh

maharg101

@Baldrick1 just want to add my appreciation for your guide to using the BT Business Smarthub 6 with Plusnet. I've been with Plusnet since the Force9 days and seen many routers come and go. The Technicolor did sterling work until it gave up the ghost, but the Hub One was less than impressive. An hour into using the new Smarthub 6 and I can honestly recommend this course of action ! 30 quid well spent Smiley And what a joy it is to have centralised control over DNS name resolution settings again.

A couple of things I would recommend everyone does in addition to your excellent guide:

• change the default admin password - otherwise everyone who can see what is printed on the card has admin.. Advanced > System > Admin password
  • make a backup of the config - to save time if you need to factory reset for any reason.. Advanced > System > Backup/restore

The new admin password and config backup should be stored away somewhere secure.

I've also turned the damn light off Smiley

Prologica
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Baldrick,

Thanks so so much for this, very helpful as a new customer to Plusnet with their inferior router. My home hub 6 is now up and running.

I haven’t separated the wireless band yet as you suggested as I’m not sure why and what advantage this gives? Does it mean having to manually select band almost like a different router?

thanks

Madhatter007
Grafter

Anyone know how I can get to the bottom of hub rebooting.
It was perfect for nearly 2 weeks and now rebooted 3 times in 3 days, worse thing is my synch speed dropped 5MB☹️☹️
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Prologica 

If it works for you then leave it. Some devices simply do not like synchronised bands and flip flop between the two, I have come across phones that simply refuse to connect.

If they are separate you can try both bands and use the best. If one goes out of range then a dual band device will automatically pick up the other providing you have connected to it once and set it to,remember the password.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Prologica
Rising Star

Thanks Baldrick, I’ll see how that goes.

Is there a way to use the basic Plusnet sagecom router as an extender? I have some dead spots due to thick chimney breasts etc. I already have AVplugs connecting router to TV and I have a spare TP-Link Wi-fi range extender.

thanks

D

Baldrick1

@Prologica 

If it's a Hub One then see here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/m-p/1385... , the principle is the same for a Hub Zero.  You give it a fixed IP address anywhere unused by fixed IP address devices between 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.63 and switch off DHCP. 

Moderator and Customer

Ashestoashes

Hi there LifeonMars (or anyone else). Do you know if I need to perform a factory reset on a never-used Smarthub 2 to stop it from broadcasting BT WiFi when I use it on my PlusNet broadband? My current Smarthub 1 does so, but it works brilliantly, although this fact has always annoyed me slightly. Going to switch to SH2 and keep the SH1 for backup. Thanks for your help. Iain
Prologica
Rising Star

Thanks Baldrick I’ll check that out.

Baldrick1

@Ashestoashes wrote:
. Going to switch to SH2 and keep the SH1 for backup. Thanks for your help. Iain

Why.? Have you got a remote disk?

I don’t think that you can switch off  BT WiFi on the residential versions. You can on the Business version,.

Moderator and Customer

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

With the latest BT Firmware for the BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) The BT wifi status shows as Active, for plus net, however it apparently does not transmit.

I do not know if this also applies to the BT Smart Hub 2

The BT Business Smart Hub according to Baldrick1 presently you can switch it off when connected to plusnet.

hope this helps.

Baldrick1

@LifeonMars 

Rather than ‘switches off’ you have two on/off options, BT WiFi and local ‘guest’ access, which has no password protection, presumably for pubs etc offering free access. You can switch each  off separately, in my case both are off.

Moderator and Customer

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Yes sorry it was my wording, just clarifying that you can presently switch BT wifi status to Not Active on the Business edition, whereby on the Home edition it shows as Active (Due to the latest firmware update), but does not transmit. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

New firmware installed on mine last night, seems to be forcing an SSL certificate now and / or causing Firefox to throw a warning.

Version is now: SG4B1B0092C4

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@dvorak there were a number of security certificates revoked yesterday. Related?

Linky