Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@dvorak wrote:

New firmware installed on mine last night, seems to be forcing an SSL certificate now and / or causing Firefox to throw a warning.

Version is now: SG4B1B0092C4

Mine updated to this version on the 7th. I've not noticed any issues with Firefox 78.0.2 (64 bit) so far.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Sands73

Hello Baldrick, 

Thanks for the great step by step instructions. I've just acquired a BT Smart Hub 2 and I want to switch out my Plusnet router.  However, every time I go to enter my plus net username and save it, the Smart Hub defaults back to BT.  I've turned off smart set up but can't seem to add my plus net username.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Only plug in the dsl cable into your telephone socket, after you have entered your username@plusdsl.net and password (That you use to access your plus net member centre) and select the connect tab

Prologica
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hmm...All was well initially but in the past few days I’ve experienced Wi-fi dropping out in parts of the house where the signal was fine before. And now there’s no connectivity between router and TV through my 1st gen (200mbps I think) Solwise AV Plugs even through the lights (can’t find the manual) seem ok. Is this an issue with not separating the bands, or has there been a firmware or similar change that’s caused the issue? Any ideas on getting back to good coverage? BTW we also have two Chromecasts and a Google mini hub plus the Smart TV connected though with just two of us in the house we’re hardly stretching the bandwidth I think.

Thanks

David

Prologica
Rising Star

I just checked Home Hub 6’s event log and I get repeated entries of this:

wl1:A device <A0:0B:BA:F9:51:9D> failed to connect to SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV2G]) because it provided incorrect login information.

Prologica
Rising Star

Router shows firmware last updated in April btw

Baldrick1

@Prologica 

Try dropping the connection by using the disconnect feature in the advanced broadband settings and switch it off using the switch on the back, not the mains. Leave it off for a minute and reverse the sequence.

Moderator and Customer

Prologica
Rising Star

Thanks Baldrick I’ve done that. Is that a one-off fix or will it reoccur frequently? Will separating the bands now be beneficial? I was going to try that next.

regards

david

Baldrick1

@Prologica 

I have no idea if it will happen again, it's never happened to me.

I would always recommend splitting the bands as in my opinion the hassle it can cause outweighs any slight advantage. 

Moderator and Customer

Prologica
Rising Star

Ok I split the bands and connected all devices to both, except for my TPlink wireless extender which only supports 2.4 but that makes sense as it’s an extender!

But I’m now having issues with my AV plugs (Solwise 200mbps 2008 vintage) from router to BT YouView Box. I’ve re-paired them and I get three green lights on each showing there is power, private network between them and an ethernet connection. The linked TV occasionally shows a connection and Freeview apps become available. Then it fails. But the AV plugsattached to YouView still shows all green lights (sometimes the plug attached to the router is showing a red light indicating the “connection rate is low”).

Any ideas? I don’t think this is necessarily due to separating the bands, the issue first occurred after the switchover to Plusnet when I swapped the routers (before swapping back to home Hub 6). I’m using a new Plusnet supplied Ethernet cable at the router end.

thanks

david

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Have you tried Switching off 5GHz on Router, Joining everything on 2.4GGHZ then switching 5GHZ back on router. or other way round.

Has your wireless extenders lost the connection, perhaps they need resetting ?  ---- only what I would do.

Prologica
Rising Star

Prompted by writing my post I swapped out the new Plusnet Ethernet cable and connected the original. Immediately the connection was achieved. Will monitor how it goes.

david

SAABDude
Grafter

Hi folks,

Have been on PN fibre BB for about 2 months now.  Had some issues with devices on the 5Ghz wifi not connecting to internet (sorted by changing to Band 44 on 5Ghz).  However I've managed to get a BT Smart Hub Type A from FreeCycle.  This is the FTTC version of Hub 6 so I'm hoping to try it out instead of the PN Hub One.

Are there any disadvantages to using the BT router that we know about?  e.g.:

Do you still get the router stats in the web dashboard for your account?

Can PN Helpdesk still help if you aren't on a PN router?

Advantages would seem to be:

Potentially stronger and more stable wifi

Anything else?

Thought I'd check before doing a swap over.

Cheers

Prologica
Rising Star

Hi All, Odd one today. No internet connection. Restarted router but no joy. Moved router to socket closest to master socket (this is one of the old ones so cannot connect directly). Still no connection. Dug our plusnet router and internet connected straight away! Swapped back for HH6, still no connection. Then I looked more closely at HH6s settings. Username had reverted to a BT username. Not sure if this happened when I allowed HH6 to go through it’s troubleshooting attempts to connect or whether something had updated overnight? I noticed Jan 1 dates in event log. Anyone else had a similar issue today.

Im now thinking I have to set it up from scratch after doing a factory reset, reseparating bands etc.

regards

david

Baldrick1

@SAABDude 

I have never bothered to look at the account router stats, so I can't comment. They are available if you log into your router.

PN will not help with a Smarthub problem, you need to come here. The trick is to keep your Hub One and put it back into circuit if you have problems. If that effects a cure then you know it's a Smarthub problem so come here and describe your issue.

Assuming that you are getting a residential version the only other advantage that comes to mind is that they don't have the Hub One noise problem experienced by some.

For the record you can also use the FTTP version as they retain their modem, you just lose the use of one LAN port.

Moderator and Customer