Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@androidtanmay 

It is a 'feature' of Smarthubs, they all go through a sequence of connecting to. BT servers every 24 hours through TR69' and having a soft reboot. You might be able to change the time to something more convenient if you leave it switched off for several hours.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

androidtanmay
Grafter

@Baldrick1

Thanks for clarifying this. I was under the impression that hh6 reboots every 14 days for a software update based on the description in other forums/posts. Hence was thinking that this must be some issue with router/firmware.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Mine had been up for 50 days (until I tripped the RCD, oops) so the 14 days doesn't seem to be a thing anymore
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
androidtanmay
Grafter

@dvorack

Hmm...so does your also reboots everyday now or it’s only for some then?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

nope, been up for 6 days solid so far after the power off.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1

@androidtanmay 

I have had another look at my current event log.

I have  a TR69 access every 24 hours. This lasts about 4 seconds. I am pretty sure that the log used to say something about a soft or warm reset or reboot, I can't remember the exact description but I note that it's not mentioned now. I do not know if there's any sort of drop in router Ethernet or wireless connectivity during this period but it stays in sync so doesn't register in the up time report. I assumed that this was what was meant by soft/warm reset but I might be wrong.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@dvorak wrote:
Mine had been up for 50 days (until I tripped the RCD, oops) so the 14 days doesn't seem to be a thing anymore

I need to watch mine as I get the impression that this one still does. It's been up for just over 4 days so far so I will see how it goes over the next 10.

Moderator and Customer

androidtanmay
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. In my case the TR69 event actually leads to a router restart every night at 00:02 the DSL uptime resets as well as the connection drops and green light comes on hub with full restart process
gavinpurchase
Hooked

I just wanted to say a big thank you to @Baldrick1 for providing this step by step guide... dead easy to follow and I got my BT Smart Hub Business up and running in minutes.
I had a new Plusnet Hub1 and the performance was shocking (have just moved over from EE with their excellent Smart Hub). WiFi was dropping out constantly and I was losing anywhere from 50-75% of my available download speed.
Very disappointed with Plusnet service and router.
The new BT Smart Hub Business seems to be excellent... well worth £30!
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I am under the impression that the EE Smart Hub you used to use with ee,  is the same as the BT Smart hub just rebadged which you can use with plusnet.

gavinpurchase
Hooked

Hi ... thanks to you too... I also read your instructions and found them useful too..

As for the EE router, I believe it is the same as the BT Smart Hub 6, except it’s locked to EE. I couldn’t change the user name to my PN one as it keeps reverting back to EE (I’ve read somewhere that someone else had the same problem). There isn’t a Smart Setup option to turn off (this is the only difference I could see in the router setup page).
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Yes it is only the BT hubs, including the BT smart hub 2 that work with plusnet. With the BT smart hub 2 you are unable to split the two bandwidths.

tsipikau

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this post, and especially to @Baldrick1 for sharing this incredibly detailed set of instructions. After months of dropping WiFi connection with the Plusnet Hub, I bought a BT Smart Hub 6 (Type A) for £29 off fleabay and set it up yesterday. In 10 minutes I was up and running and the improvement to WiFi signal and speed is incredible! It took longer to change the router details on the (what seemed to be like) myriads of devices in our small household that use WiFi 😂

Thanks again everyone, a very happy bunny now with full signal from the bedrooms all the way to the back of the house!
Baldrick1

@tsipikau 

I know it's to late for you but in case som-one else is interested you can change the Smarthub 6 wireless SSID and password to be the same as your Hub One rather than change all your devices to the new SSID etc. The downside of course is that the pull out tab is no longer correct.

Moderator and Customer

Farnzie
Dabbler

Well I dont know what the issue is but I lost all internet connection on my smarthub today. Got the orange light on and BT testing said there was a fault.

Tried re booting it, plugging it directly into the master test socket - all produced no results.

I'm now back on the Plusnet router and it all worked straight away.

I did go through Plusnets troubleshooting sequence to report it and they said I was having about 2 dropouts a week on the Smarthub?Huh

Any ideas anyone?