cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

I see that OpenDNS are now part of Cisco! Good luck with trusting them. Their IPs (from their website) show the same network part but some differences in the host part of the address (compared to the ones I used a few years ago). Not as variable as OpenNIC though!  Not sure why you say those servers listed in the post I quoted are now blocked, they seem to be the usual ones in the hub6 setup. If that post is now not to be trusted it should be taken down.

pboyde
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I replaced my Business Hub 6 with my emergency spare one I had - apart from when the firmware updated, and the router needed a reboot, it has been rock solid with no disconnections.

I'll keep the original bh6 and wait for the next firmware update to see if that sorts out the disconnection issue.  

Rabsmostwanted

Hi. I did the same thing with a bt smart hub 6. The WiFi was better than the feeble effort the plusnet hub put out, but it still wasn't good enough to reach all my devices, so I ended up buying a mesh kit, which covers the entire house. All good till the Internet went down yesterday, so I'm leaving plusnet!!
prettygrim49
Grafter

i have just got a Smart Hub 2 and intend giving it a try tomorrow. the reason being that i have had a stable connection for 4 months with no variations in speed (30meg down), having kept daily log files and doing speed checks every couple of weeks just to verify. after all this time without issue, there was a network outage last Friday. although that only lasted for about an hour, when my internet came back on my speed had dropped by about 2 meg. the problem returned a couple of times that evening, settling at 27.6 meg until today when yet again the connection was lost. it eventually came back at 21:00, where my speed had dropped yet again to 26.6meg. i dont understand why this has happened considering the time without any issues at all. i dont know if changing the router will help or not but to lose almost 3.5meg is quite a lot when i cant have actually done anything to cause it or warrant it as no engineer visit is planned to the home. after all, the whole purpose of every isp now is to sell the fastest speed possible. why keep plying this if they cant maintain it? i appreciate that the majority of broadband uses BT/Openreach equipment but it's very unfair to keep dropping some speeds, particularly when there has been no issues previously for some length of time. i fail to see why there can suddenly be a problem that warrants speed drops when a piece of equipment fails. surely the answer is to ensure the replacement part is of suitable quality and up to the job. the other thing could be more connections put into a cabinet than it can handle, forcing speed drops for those already there so as to accommodate extra customers (and therefore extra revenue?). have i been moved to a slower connection in the cabinet and if so, why? whatever the reason, it cant be good or right, especially when there is no other option than having no Internet at all because all available isp use the same BT/Openreach equipment, giving the same problem over and over and over.

so, guys, will i be wasting my time to change the router or am i going to find the slowdown in speed continues? i'd be interested in your opinions, if you dont mind

many TIA

prettygrim49
Grafter

well, tnx to the guide at the start of this post, i managed to find my way through the settings in the Smart Hub 2 and get it set up. the speed overall is no different but things seem better somehow than with the plusnet router.

anyway, a question if you dont mind. i did struggle to change the username from the bt installed one to my plusnet one as there is no 'SAVE' option on that particular page. the thing that i thought most strange was when i tried to type in my plusnet password, despite it having a different number of characters than asterix already there, a lesser number of characters appeared in the password box. anyone able to explain, please? is it done purposefully to confuse someone trying to hack into the router?

many tnx if you are able to enlighten me

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Apparently according to the BT Forums yes, you cannot rely on the number shown. For BT users you do not have a password to fill in.

prettygrim49
Grafter

tnx for the info, LifeonMars. as long as things are how they should be.

i found also that setting up to use torrents a little confusing. this is not my forte at all, so was unsure as to the figures i needed to put into the boxes asking about external ports and internal ports. again, anyone able to advise, please?

Bojang1
Grafter

Thank you for posting this guide! Do you know if the Business Smart Hub 6 lets users change the DNS provider? I would like to use OpenDNS but cannot do this on the Plusnet Hub One. Thanks 

Umbanzo
Dabbler

Hi 

Yes you can change the DNS settings in the hubs menu, also your channel settings and turn the hubs light off/down etc

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Bojang1 

See step 13 of the guide on my original post.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Madhatter007
Grafter

Set up my HH6 business edition after nearly throwing it out as would not accept my PN password and kept adding extra letters, turns out it doesn't like & in PW.

I followed the tutorial on here but cannot see the option to turn BT public WIFI off.

Also how do I update the FW as 2 years old, never been updated as BNIB
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

There are many posts in the thread about not using odd character's in your password with the BT Smart Hub. It does not like £$%^&*&£@ etc. The latest being my post 321 on this thread.

Resetting the hub both from the rear with a pin and from the internal settings used to switch off the BT Wifi status  to show not active, however a firmware update on the normal BT Smart hub stopped that. However many found that although the tab showed active,  it was in fact not active for plusnet users. This may have changed with firmware updates and may now revert to not active status

The Smart hub will update itself over time Automatically and possibly show the BT wifi tab as not active on an update.,

you could try a switch off and restart. 

Baldrick1 will no doubt update you  re public wifi as he uses a BT Smart Business hub.

Baldrick1

@Madhatter007 

It's on the home page in a box on its own next to Hub Light.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@LifeonMars 

For info the Business versions are different and do not have the same FON options as the residential versions to which you refer.

Business Hub Home Page:

BT1.jpg

Selecting Public/BT Wifi gives you these options:

BT2.jpg

It is worth noting that the Visitor WiFi is totally open and not password protected so not to be confused with the Guest WiFi option provided by many domestic router,

Hopefully this control will comtinue!

Moderator and Customer

Madhatter007
Grafter

@Baldrick1
Top man as always and it was there after BHUB updated FW and all special characters can now be used in PW.

I have another issue🤗
I had option set to use Google DNS but since the upgrade It reverted to PN ones and I can't see the option to change them. I have disconnected reconnected but no edit button for DNS