Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@Turnwood 

No problems here. It would help if you advised us which firmware you are on, I am running SG4B1B0092BE, which I believe to be the latest.

Have you tried switching off using the switch on the back of the hub, leaving it a minute and switching back on to see if that makes a difference?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

fibreinternet
Grafter

I have been using hh6 business for 11 months it installs firmware as and when and never freezes or glitches currently running firmware as may 2020, far better than the plus net s&&t hub
TessF20

My smart hub 6 arrived this morning after the excitment of winning the bid on ebay and Baldrick1 I wanted to say thanks for your comprehensive instructions. They made set up a breeze especially when you had covered the possible variations. Thanks for takign the time. Smiley

djrob
Dabbler

same problem here. I posted here last week thinking it was a line issue, but I swapped back to old Plusnet hub and speed is back to normal (70mb/18mb). So there must be something wrong with BT hub. Might try a factory reset and go through the setup process.

Orginal post....

Something strange has happened today, connection went offline at 1am briefly, but when it came back download speed had dropped from 70mb to 3-5mb. It's been like that all day, I have tried re-booting hub, spoke to Plusnet and they said line tests are reading okay. In hub status it says syncing at 80 down 20 up. Strangely upload speed is unchanged at 18mb

Plusnet suggested a wifi issue, but I have connected via ethernet and same speed issue. At a loss what to try next? Strangely my neighbour said he had similar issue today, he's with Vodafone but still same BT fibre connection from same exchange. 

Anything else I can try with the hub?

Baldrick1

@djrob 

I would try a factory reset and setting it up again from scratch. Apart from that use the switch on the back of the hub to switch it on and off. I once had one start up incorrectly when switching it on at the mains adapter. I put this down to a slow rise in the power supply possibly screwing up the firmware initialisation sequence.

Moderator and Customer

Turnwood
Hooked
Fixes: 1

So, I decided to just buy a TP LINK AC1900 router off Amazon for £90 (arrived today).  All set up and am pleased so far.  It is connecting at the same sync speed as my original plusnet router but is performing so much better.  I found the plusnet router to be completely unusable for general web browsing and watching youtube on my phone.  That is why I purchased the BT Business Hub 6 several months ago, but why it has started connecting at a reduced sync speed is a complete mystery to me.  It is running firmware SG4B1B0092BE updated on 03/03/20.  I have attached the connection stats for the bt hub and my new TP link router (same splitter, wiring etc.) - the difference is stark.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Probably your BT hub just gave up the Ghost!  Loads of others seem to have no problem with BT hubs

demsley

I returned the home hub and the vendor refunded without questions so I'm happy - apart from being down £4.10 for postage return.

I now have a BT Business Hub - this one says so - yay!  I also note that the firmware was updated yesterday so that's good too.

However DNS issue persists.  I can add DNS Hosts - as per screenshot1

I cannot change primary and secondary DNS - as per screenshot2.

Am I missing something?

Cheers

Dave

Umbanzo
Dabbler

You can change the DNS ! I have no access to my hub settings at the moment. So from memory only, don't quote me !

Advanced settings one of the tabs you can access says inoptv4 or similar on it ? Go into that tab which opens further settings one of which is inoptv4 or similar, click on this the DNS server settings are at the bottom of this page. Set to off and enter your settings, click save 😀 

It's a bit guessy as I don't have access hopefully you've got enough to work it out

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@demsley wrote:

Am I missing something?

Cheers

Dave

On my business hub, the DNS router addresses can be changed in the settings on Home > advanced settings > My network > IPv4 configuration > dns servers - then change 'auto'  from 'yes' to 'no' and a field to enter new dns addresses appears, voila!

This is a bit confusing as the dns server addresses then appear on the screen you attached to your post.

Umbanzo
Dabbler

Hey mechanic 😁

I have the BT business hub 6 set it up a few days ago as per Baldrick's excellent instructions. Not changed the DNS servers, is this worthwhile ? And if changed will I suffer any issues, like devices disconnecting from the WiFi etc ?

Thanks 👏

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

Yes, I sent my response not realizing you'd already replied to this query, sorry about that.

These DNS servers are owned by BT and are also used by Plusnet so they must receive many thousands of requests each day. They seem pretty reliable which is good, the last thing you need is a broken DNS connection when you're trying to use email or whatever. More paranoid users may change to OpenDNS servers but they tend to change the IP addresses from time to time.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Announcements/Important-information-about-our-DNS-server-add...

Umbanzo
Dabbler

😁 no problem my description was a guess really due to having no access to my bt hub. Yours made a lot more sense.

Not changed my DNS as yet, I need convincing that  I need to 

Cheers

Baldrick1

@demsley wrote:

You are changing the wrong thing delete these.

That's because you are setting them in the wrong place. This is the page that you need, See the DNS Server section towards the bottom.:

SH4.png

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@mechanic123 

As you will see from my previous post I use OpenDNS servers rather than Plusnet's. I am confused why you are stating that these tend to change and demonstrate this by posting links to Plusnet authoritative DNS servers to which access has now been blocked by Plusnet? I am not aware that OpenDNS change theirs.

Moderator and Customer