cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

djrob
Dabbler

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

It looks like my problem is a fault from line to the box according to BT and nothing to do with my setup. Engineer coming later on the week apparently.

kaash
Hooked

Hi,

I have been reading this post, yes you are right its line problem most likely. Sometimes engineers will change your line pair in DP with a diffrent one to fix someone else problem. Just make a brew for engineer and convince him to swap your linen pair in DP they dont swap it easily but once its swapped you shouldn't have same issues.
When rounter connects at 80mb that's your max speed which is sync and if it's not stable line fault will cause disconnection.
JohnG2

Hello, my query is to do with the switching off of the "Smart Setup" on the BT Smarthub 6.

I successfully transferred onto a Plusnet service using the excellent guide provided by Baldrick 1 dated 12th November 2018.

My setup at the time included a BT Mini Hub kit (the Black one about 4 years old), the transfer was ok with no problems however following some works in house and removal of the minihub extenders I cannot get them to reconnect to the internet and I am wondering if it is something to do with their removal after the smart setup was disconnected thereby preventing their reconnection.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Smart set up being switched off should not make any difference, 

Try resetting your mini hubs to factory settings and set up again manually to your router.

see

https://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/4782167/1467117668/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8x...

Umbanzo
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick and everyone 😁

I'm a new subscriber on here, after changing to plus net fibre in February this year I decided to purchase a by business smart hub 6 off eBay. The unit I bought was new and sealed and has the 4 yellow ethernet ports at the rear. I have followed Baldrick's excellent set up sticky to the T I think ! However having changed all my passwords etc from plusnet onto the BT hub, I click on connect, the box above goes pink and days connecting, however this status only lasts for about 10 seconds and then disappears leaving the connect button available once more. All I get on the hub is a solid orange light.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Dont plug the DSL cable in until you are ready to connect, ensure Smart set up is set to off

Do not haver any odd characters in your password like !@&*^%:<>. etc   (This may have changed on firmware updates) but the BT Hubs did not like odd characters in your username@plusdsl.net  or plusnet password.

Umbanzo
Dabbler

Hi and thanks for the reply. No odd characters just numbers and letters. I have tried with the DSL in place throughout with no success. Also plugging it in straight after clicking connect. With the same result, if I look at the network settings available to me the plusnet one is still shown and the BT hub is also shown ?

Thanks for your help

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

You need to plug the DSL cable in after typing in your username@plusdsl.net and you password. but before clicking connect.

The Cable needs to be in for you to connect. 

Umbanzo
Dabbler

Just a thought, iam using my account user name in the password field on the BT hub. I'm guessing this is one and the same ? Or have I got a separate password. 

Thanks again, also for your previous reply

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Your Broadband username is.        yourusername@plusdsl.net.    and the password is that of your plusnet password, which you use to log into the member centre

Umbanzo
Dabbler

😁 yes I’m the fool here ! I was putting in my plusnet user name and not my password ! Idiot. All working now 👍 one further question please. Can I change my WiFi login details to that of the old plusnet hub ? So I don’t have to change the other connections I have in the home, Sonos, tv etc.
Many thanks for your help with this and for waking me up and getting me back on track 👍
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Yes you can call your network what you like etc and use whatever password you wish or had programmed but a bit unwise if those details are just factory reset from your  Hub1 but depends on what your going to do with the old hub. You may lend it to a neighbour 😀

Umbanzo
Dabbler

I will be keeping the plusnet hub as a spare in case of any issues with the BT hub. I think your suggesting it’s probably better to change the WiFi settings on the tv Sonos etc to the new BT one as opposed to changing the Bt code over to the original plusnet WiFi key ?

Either way just happy that I’ve got it working 👍
Thanks again
JohnG2

Hello

Many thanks for the info, worked out ok. and running well

Regards

Turnwood
Hooked
Fixes: 1

For the last couple of months I have been having issues with my broadband connection. 35% reduction in line sync speed and random disconnects. I initially put this down to a problem with my line, but having now reconnected my original plusnet router I am almost certain it is a problem with my BT business hub 6, possibly caused by the firmware update on 3 March. My BT hub is syncing at 26 meg whereas my plusnet router is syncing at nearly 40 meg. Same splitter, wiring etc - the only thing different is the router. This increase in sync speed does translate into improved download test speed.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? I will continue to use the plusnet router for time being to see if I have any problems with disconnects while using that.