cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

GaryHolmes
Hooked

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

I had the new firmware update last night. Now cannot get into advanced settings / system ! It keeps requiring me to change password, saving new password, but when I then try, same again, have to change password...

cant get past this 

anyone else seen this problem?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@GaryHolmes 

Have you tried a factory reset and starting again from scratch? Keep the reset switch closed fot 30 seconds just to make sure.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

GaryHolmes
Hooked

Hi, yes , tried that. Also noted BT WiFi started up again. Had all of this sorted up until new firmware last night.

jwsg
Rising Star

I didnt get that password issue - just BT WiFi showing Active and possibly a higher reported Line Attenuation value

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Does your password have any  characters in it like &*^%$£@.  if so change password  to one without.

GaryHolmes
Hooked

Thanks for responses so far. I’ll redo password one more time and ensure keep it simple let you know shortly

GaryHolmes
Hooked

Just been through the whole process, factory reset exactly as detailed, waited for flashing purple light and everything. Reset every password, kept admin password simple, had to reset Plusnet  broadband password.... only because ichain password manager got in a tizzy over which password was which and I told it to update at the wrong moment, and then of course I couldn’t remember it.... that was an interesting moment only saved by Plusnet router having old account password still stored, so fired that up and got onto internet to reset ! 

After an hour of pulling hair out, right back in exactly the same place !! I simply cannot get past reset password process to get into advanced settings System. Leaving it at that for now, had enough.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Don't wish to talk about sucking eggs, but you are using the password  which will be on the rear of the router after the factory reset.

jwsg
Rising Star

After a factory reset there should be no need to change admin password or the plusnet password. Sometimes password managers - if they autofill password fields - can get in the way - best to simply type the default on the card in manually

GaryHolmes
Hooked

Nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious, anyone can make daft mistakes. No, I have used the correct passwords at each stage, I have a spiral pad on the desktop as I’ve had that many passwords in the last hour and a half I wrote them all down after the ichain moment....

it is all up and running, after full factory reset, going back to default password as you say, so I must have mastered the passwords at each stage, otherwise I wouldn’t be here, at this stage. I just cannot get into system to turn off the damned bt public WiFi, or anything else in there, but that at the moment.

Having a gin and tonic now, time for a sit down and come back to it in the morning perhaps

cheers

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

jwsg

There was an issue with the BT Smart Hub that necessitated the change of a plusnet user password as the unit would not accept any odd characters like $%^&*()$,  

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 20.52.38.pngScreenshot 2020-04-04 at 20.52.53.pngThe BT Smart Hub 2 has a password overide 

Does your BT Smart Hub have the password overide. ?

type http://192.168.1.254/.   into address bar

select Advanced settings/System/Admin Password.

then select Help

Then select Right arrow by "Password Hint"

Then you get Password overide.

Select the password overide Tab

and enter details to change.

GaryHolmes
Hooked

You are a star!

that has worked and I’m in....

obviously it was not saving the new password properly using the normal process, this saved the new password and let me through

another lesson learned

thanks again

jwsg
Rising Star

With the non-business version there's no setting to turn off the BT Wifi .

Previously a factory reset turned it off - but now I think its default Active with the new firmware.

BT customers can access a website to disable it but we're stuck 

If youve used the Admin password on the card and can get into Advanced settings then youre already in the system as you put it

Password managers are OK but the suggested password mechanism isnt ideal for devices where you might need to avoid special characters or need to remember it when you contact support 

GaryHolmes
Hooked

And then promptly stopped working again

i really have had enough of it tonight