Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@Farnzie 

Both work. The Business version gives you more setting options such as you can choose which DNS servers you wish to use. You can tell the difference by the Model number. My FTTC Business Smarthub is Model 088315.

There are also two varients of Smarthub, one for FTTC and the other FTTP. You can tell a FTTP version as it has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the yellow LAN sockets.  Both work but if you have a FTTP version you lose the use of the renamed WAN socket, so go for a FTTC version.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pboyde
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I don't knowif anyone else has had this the little issue but I had a couple of unexpected reboots after about a day and a half.

I had a quick search of the BT Community Form and someone recommended turning off the Smart WiFi feature. Since it was turned off it's been a rock solid connection.

Baldrick1

@pboyde 

What you saw were probably firmware updates. i assume it was Smart Set Up that you read about and I agree it's best to switch it off.

Moderator and Customer

Farnzie
Dabbler

Thanks Baldrick, just ordered one off the bay at £19.99 so will follow your instructions when it arrives.

pboyde
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 

it was after the firmware had updated. I'd left Smart WiFi on the 2.4G band as it had to be switched off on the 5G for my Roku to "see" the 5G band (a  known problem with the Roku).

But the restarted a few of times, approx 30 hours apart, so I disable Smart WiFi on the 2.4G band as well and I've had no restarts since.

Ally17

Hi Farnzie. I've been following this thread the past couple of days. I wonder if you could answer a couple of questions.

Which BT Hub did you order? Could you post a link to it please. 

Are you asdl or fibre?

Thanks

Baldrick1

@Ally17 

The BT Smarthub 6 works on both ADSL and fibre. It automatically detects the correct standard. All you need to select the best option for you is here.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1701137#M16...

Moderator and Customer

Ally17

Thank you Baldrick1. Would you say the Smarthub  FTTP version is the easiest to set-up and use?  I have little experience with routers.

Farnzie
Dabbler

@Ally17  I bought this one Plusnet-BT-Smart-Hub-Home-Hub-6-Fibre-FTTC-ADSL-Broadband-Wireless-AC-Router 

The seller is very helpful and offers setup help if required as well. Not received it as yet but his help and messages so far lead me to believe that he is as good as his feedback says.

PS, I'm plain old adsl at present.

Baldrick1

@Ally17 

No, i suggest that you avoid the FTTP version. None are difficult to set up if you follow the post at the beginning of this thread.

Moderator and Customer

Ally17

Thanks for the reply Farnzie. I'll check it out.

Ally17

Will do Baldrick1. Thank you for your help.

atann
Dabbler

Joined PlusNet on the 14th. Bought BT Business hub & setup up perfectly. Currently connected at 60mgb. Which is about the same as my three previous isp’s on FTTC. Is it worth buying a premium RJ11 cable from EBay for about £9? Has anybody experienced better sync speeds with a premium cable? I’m on a ECI cabinet, noise down 6bd, which is as low as ECI can go. Thanks.
Mack
Grafter

@atann wrote:
Joined PlusNet on the 14th. Bought BT Business hub & setup up perfectly. Currently connected at 60mgb. Which is about the same as my three previous isp’s on FTTC. Is it worth buying a premium RJ11 cable from EBay for about £9? Has anybody experienced better sync speeds with a premium cable? I’m on a ECI cabinet, noise down 6bd, which is as low as ECI can go. Thanks.

I have not dabbled in premium cables for my router before, but given others in th past, and given the nature of our phone line infrastructure, I would hazard a guess at no, it would not be worth it, as the majority of the degradation will happen on the copper line from the cabinet to the terminal in your house, instead of fromt he terminal to the router, which is only ever really 1 Meter tops.

My opinion really is no, it is not worth it, and the premium cable industry is a little bit of a false economy for suckers, for the most part.

Just my 2 pence worth though.

Farnzie
Dabbler

@Baldrick1  I have now got my BT HH6 and I'm connected on it now. Somewhat dissapointingly though the USB is still smb-1 so I still cannot connect to my hard drive across the computers in the house Sad

The firmware at present is SG4B1000E01E so will the firmware upgrades alter it to SMB-2?

Thanks for any reply.