Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@LifeonMars wrote:

I wonder if the new BT Smart Hub2 will work with plusnet ?

Yes, it does.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Thank You Bob.

Kildowney

Got a few silly questions regarding trying to connect my bt smart hub 6 with my new plusnet service. 1.don't laugh, do I disconnect plusnet router. 2. How do I get internet connection to get into BT hub to change settings.
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Kildowney wrote:
1.don't laugh, do I disconnect plusnet router. 

Yes. You use it instead of the Plusnet gear.

2. How do I get internet connection to get into BT hub to change settings.

Open your Internet browser and enter 192.168.1.254 into the address field. This is at the top of the page. If you also have a search field on your browser do not enter the details here.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Kildowney

I'm on (whoop whoop) and what a difference. Will have happy children and hubby now ( well for a couple of hours anyway ). Thanks Andrea
Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

( My problem was only 12 devices would conect to wifi..)

The Plusnet folks are looking into it but I will check out your better router suggetions and copied the set-up text.  Just in case  ..

Ok,, copied the set up text, so I don`t spend hours scrathing my head wondering what to do..

Thanks again.

Bri

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Just fixed up a BT Hub6 following the excellent instructions in a earlier post, just one question regarding the very last page where it tells you to save setting.....after you have selected both bands to on.

could not see any save button ?

The hub is connected and works fine only thing that bothers me is if the power or connection drops I will need to reset everything.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

The Save setting was at top right of page, see attachment

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks.

What I got was a orange box with warning sign in it saying ' save your settings ' with a little circle going around which seemed to indicate it was trying to connect or save but it got no further after 10 minutes or so.

Fortunately everything is working.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

The BT router reboots approx every 14 days after you have connected, so you will find out then if everything got saved. Smiley

Or take a look at the settings now in your BT Smart  Hub Manager http://192.168.1.254/

LordVaderUK

Having struggled with poor, variable WiFi speeds on the standard PlusNet router, I bought a BT Business Smart Hub 6 from eBay for a tenner, and set it up using these excellent instructions - thank you.

So far, the BT router seems to be much reliable and WiFi speeds are good. Plus the router looks good Tongue Worth a try if you too are bemoaning poor PlusNet router performance.

robbsafc

Many thanks for the guide. Got my BT Business Smart Hub setup without any problems. Speed seems slightly better than the Hub One. But now I have the option to specify my own DNS servers as the Plusnet safeguard DNS do not work.

I noticed that you said about configuring the ipv4 settings to use alternative DNS servers, however with my BT Business Smart Hub Type A (Item Code 088317) I can change them in the router. If I log into the router, go to Advanced Settings, My Network, IPv4 Configuration tab (at the top just under where it shows you are in advanced settings). At the bottom where it says DNS Servers toggle AUTO to no. You can then select your own Primary and Secondary DNS servers. I ran a DNS benchmark to find the fastest DNS servers. However if you have changed the DNS servers used in the network settings on your computer you will connect to them and not the DNS servers specified in the router settings.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I assume that what you are saying is that I missed the instruction to switch off auto selection of DNS servers before inputting bespoke DNS IP addresses? As I can no longer edit the original post hopefully this will appear to be obvious to others who do not read this far down into this topic.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

robbsafc

I know that there will be several variations of the BT Smarthub. It was just that my particular variant allows me to specify DNS servers. I didn't mean to imply that you had missed out anything in the original guide. You guide is really useful and I couldn't have set up the BT Smarthub without it.