If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Using Asus AX6600 XT8 With Openreach

The Asus DOES support PPPoE , see page 68 of the manual for WAN setup options

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bazzer
Pro

@MisterW wrote:

The Asus DOES support PPPoE , see page 68 of the manual for WAN setup options

Thanks @MisterW for confirming.

Last night, I tried again to connect, entering the same details I use for my existing Google WiFi, but to no avail.

The additional node, however, that is not connected to the Opeanreach box, shows a solid White light which indicates it is connected and working, but I wonder if between the router and the node, they have created a WiFi mesh, despite the hub not being connected as this shows a solid Red light.

I'll download the full manual. As with everything, the box contains just a quick start guide.

Thanks.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@bazzer  I agree with @MisterW  that the Asus can be used to create a PPPoE WAN connection to the Openreach modem. The quick start guide doesn't help.

On the Router Navigation panel go to

Advanced Settings>WAN>Internet Connection

WAN Connection  select PPPoE

Enable WAN - yes

Authentication Plusnet Username  (Username@plusdsl.net) and password

When done click Apply

That should get you connected.

However I am not sure what you mean by ..." despite the hub not being connected as this shows a solid Red light." 

By Hub do you mean the Plusnet Hub1 router? That is no longer required so should be removed and put away. The Asus router ethernet  WAN port connects to the LAN1 port on the Openreach modem.

bazzer
Pro

Moderators Note

Quoted previous post removed as per Forum rules

@RealAleMadrid Many thanks for the walk-through, this is very helpful.

I will try this later today. 

Just to clarify, by "hub" I was referring to the Asus router that I will use to connect to the Openreach modem.

The other Asus router (they come in a 2-pack and are identical) will be used as a wireless node which I will place in another area of my home.

Regarding the Router Navigation Panel, is this something that I access via the Asus app?

Thanks for your help.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@bazzer  I can't quite get my head around using an app to set up routers so know nothing about it. 

To get to the GUI by the usual method connect a PC to the router and in your web browser enter  http://router.asus.com

If that doesn't work try the default IP address 192.168.50.1 instead. Now the default username and password admin for both

It may try to run a quick set-up wizard, which may or may not work, give it a try if you like but I would put the set up details in manually as I described in my previous post. Best of luck.🤗

bazzer
Pro

@RealAleMadrid Thanks again.

When trying to set this up last night, I did try accessing http://router.asus.com/ but couldn't connect.

I didn't know about the default IP address so will try this when I run through the suggested process later today.

I'll update.

bazzer
Pro

Pleased to report that I have now managed to connect successfully.

I reset everything on the router and started afresh, following the advice and suggestions on this thread.

Rebooted the Openreach and my PC, and all connected after several minutes.

Thanks again to everyone that responded. I really appreciate your help.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Glad you got it sorted @bazzer .

I think you have a router with the most unhelpful instruction ever, well done to  @MisterW  @RealAleMadrid who dug out the detailed instructions

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@bazzer  Glad to hear you got it working. Some better instructions supplied with the router would help a lot.😊