cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using A BT Smarthub, An Update

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Using A BT Smarthub, An Update

The colours and the 'b' represent the state of the broadband.
Because you're not using it for broadband then it will show disconnected (orange) and no broadband signal (flashing 'b')
You should be able to turn off the light in the router controls.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Tom10 

If you haven’t got the option to switch off the lights then stick some tape over them.

@dvorak 

I haven’t got a hub one so don’t know but think that I have read that the light is not controllable.

To add to my confusion, on the earlier software versions (I have not checked it recently) of the Smarthub, whilst you can dim or switch off a blue light this comes back on and shows/flashes the appropriate colour if you have what it thinks is a fault, like using it as a switch. I don’t know what a hub one does should it have a dimming function .

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

On the Hub One there are two choices of LED brightness - Bright & very bright 😲

NicDB
Grafter

Hi.  My Smarthub 6 has started to glow Orange again for no reason. Had a couple of BB outages and restarted the hub seemed to clear things. Then today it started to run very slow despite BB Speedtests showing I had 64MBps+ speeds.  We then lost all BB. A call to the tech line and tests/resets did not help. Awaiting a call back.

Plugged in the old Plusnet Router and Openreach Modem and all up and running again, except without the Wifi coverage the BT Hub 6 was giving me.

Any ideas what's up? Has the router died? Seems to go through all the self test routines ok.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @NicDB

Have you had a chance to check the authentication details (PPP username and password) were correct? Sometimes routers can lose this due to external factors.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
astare
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Dear Baldrick,

I'd like to thank you for your excellent instructions for setting up a BT router on Plusnet. I too have experienced the frustration of all too regular speed drops since joining Plusnet, and consequently purchased a BT Business Smart Hub 7 from Ebay. Your instructions made it a doddle to set up and so far it's working brilliantly. As I've only had it for two days, it's too soon to be certain that it's cured my problem, but I live in hope.

Plusnet should take the bull by the horns and warn all new users that they are likely to have problems, but I guess that's never going to happen. I had intended keeping a record of the frequent speed drops I experienced and using it as evidence so that I could terminate my contract without paying a fee, but it's just too much aggravation. However, I really look forward to the end of my contract and being able to go back to Virgin's fast and reliable fibre broadband. I should never have left them, just negotiated a better price.

Again thank you very much for your brilliant instructions. 

Tony East 

Nakk

I wonder if someone can help me. I have setup a BT Hub on my Plusnet broadband using the instructions in this thread. It has been working great for nearly a year now, however, about 2-3 weeks ago my Roku stick stopped connecting to my BT Hub. I tried many troubleshooting method but none worked. I thought it was a one-off so got myself another streaming stick but it happened again this morning with my smart meter. My smart meter suddenly won't connect to my BT Hub anymore. Even when i scan or manually enter the network name, it doesn't show up on the screen. This isn't a one-off anymore as first my Roku stick and now my smart meter won't show my BT Hub wifi. Has anyone else faced a similar problem? If so, I would appreciate any guidance or help. Thank you all

Baldrick1

@Nakk  Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried a factory reset of the hub and set it up again from scratch?

Moderator and Customer

lscolman
Hooked

Can I add my thanks to Baldrick1 for this thread.

My smart hub 2 arrived today, which I picked up for £13 on eBay, and it works like a dream. Wifi range is massively increased over the Plusnet hub one.

Hope I haven't posted too early, but this looks like a perfect solution to the Hub One buzzing issue and offers the extension in range I was looking for.

Top stuff!

Cheers, Lee

smallblueplanet
Rising Star

Hi @Baldrick1 as per info on another thread I have purchased a BY Home Hub 6A. Smiley I have just set it up and it seems to be working fine.

Its model no: 084319 atm firmware is: SG4B100021EC 12-May-2016

Can I/should I update the firmware? And if so how?

There was some info in your setup guide about turning off 'Public wifi'? How?

Many thanks. The HH6 is soooo much better than the PN one.

Baldrick1

@smallblueplanet 

They generally update as soon as you set them up but some take a few days. You can't update them yourself but they report in to BT every 24 hours, so it should update automatically over the next couple of days. If it doesn't all that I can suggest is to disconnect the DSL cable , do a factory reset and set it up again from scratch to see if that triggers an update.

There are two main variations of what you are calling 'Public wifi'. The Residential version that you have, when connected to a BT Server, allows other BT subscribers to use some of your unused bandwidth. You can no longer switch this feature off BUT as it's not connected to the BT servers it does not work so can be left. The Business versions of the Smarthub has true Public wifi. This is for use in pubs, restaurants etc. and allows anyone to access your wireless network. This does have a control on the Home page and should be turned off. But as I said, you have an Residential Smarthub that doesn't include this firmware option.

Moderator and Customer

smallblueplanet
Rising Star

Hi @Baldrick1 I'm in trouble. The router automatically updated to:

Firmware version: SG4B1000E020 03-Oct-2021

I reset and started from the beginning turning off smart setup and re-entering the Plusnet login details.

I'm connected by ethernet cable but wifi is showing as 'off' on the router homepage but on in the place where you change the settings. Cannot get the wifi on even after a factory reset.

Help?

Baldrick1

@smallblueplanet 

Did you hold the reset button in for 30 seconds? If not try again.

Have you tried switching it off using the switch on the back (leave the mains on) for 30 seconds then back on?

Are you connected to Plusnet?

Can you toggle WiFi on and off? If so are you saving the change!

Moderator and Customer

smallblueplanet
Rising Star

Yes to all. 

The advanced wifi settings say on. I tried splitting the signal and I've saved. But on the homepage it still just says:

2.4ghz staus: off

5ghz status: off

smallblueplanet
Rising Star

@Baldrick1  I've done a couple of factory resets but still the wifi status on the router home page shows as 'off'. But in advanced settings it shows as 'on'.

On the bottom of the status page it says this:

Active

Might that be something?