Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

If you read the BT forums, this behaviour is quite normal , Sometimes the Server is busy so  the Hub drops the request for that connection. Apparently it does not affect your connection

Razer
Grafter

Thanks. Here's hoping it doesn't. But still synched at the slower 54 on the previous 80 down. ...
Razer
Grafter

The servers managed to work, four hours after it resynched my router (at a higher rate) there were several CWMP connections  (very many, actually), all successful. Encouraging.

danwilko89

Hi all, first post Cool

My PN connection is being activated this weekend, and I have a BT Business Hub 5 that we had lying around at work (brand new unopened) that I'm thinking of using instead – I'm guessing that this may offer better Wireless/speeds. What are the benefits of using a BTHH/BTBH?

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@danwilko89 are you ADSL or fibre?

If you're on ADSL then the BTBH will give you dual band which is a bonus.

Not sure if actual BB speed will be any better/worse but I've just switched to a BTBH 6 and it's so much better than the generic 2704N (single band) router you get with ADSL.

danwilko89

I'll be having Fibre.

I think I'll set up with the Plusnet Router for starters and then set the BTBH after a few days and see the different.
Beavis
Hooked

Just discovered this thread after subscribing to Plusnet and then finding out how basic the supplied router is. My old BT Home Hub 4 has been pressed back into service and is performing much better.

sadtomato
Hooked

I have followed the instructionns carefully and checked everything but the Home Hub 5 that I have been given will not connect.. I'd bin it except that I had to spend £10 on Amazon to get a power pack for it!

Is it possible that some of them will not work on plusnet without further setup changes?

TIA

sadtomato
Hooked

Replying to my own post - 5 hours later I plugged it back in and it connected up straight away! I did a few checks and disabled smart set up and the wireless sync as suggested earlier in this thread. Tried it on auto channel select and also setting on the same channel as my old netgear router.

The resuts were completly unexpected  as I cannot get it to perform any better than half the speed of my old (at least 10 year old) 54MBPS Netgear which I expected a modern dual channel modem to blow into the weeds.

If anyone has an explanation for this I'm all ears but the dustbin beckons for the Home Hub 5!

TIA

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Two things, on the HH5 on advanced wireless section there are options on maximum throughput - from memory, up to 300 on the 2.4Ghz, and 1200 on the 5Ghz channels.

Or are there similar settings on your wireless adapter?

sadtomato
Hooked

Thanks Mustrum. I don't see any settings on the laptop wireless driver that seem relevant to speed setting but I am no expert. I left the HH5 on the lowest setting which I think was "up to 144Mhz" on the basis than it should have been faster than what I have been using.

My max theoretical speed would be 17mbps and on my old router I am getting around 9mbps (fixed on channel 4) so even a better router won't give me a huge improvement. I am only about 60 yards from the BT green box on the street corner so maybe I can get a bit more.

expresscarpark
Hooked

Hi
I have Plusnet Business ADSL and I use BT Business Hub 3 that works fine with the service. However, I cannot specify the source ip when port forwarding on my router. Does anyone know if there is a BT or any other router where I can port forward and specify source ip as well.

Many thanks.

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@expresscarpark - I can't be sure but have a look at the BT HH6 Business Edition - you can port forward but not sure about source IP - I just don't know enough about it.

Can get them brand new for about £30 on eBay. 

@Baldrick1 might be able to shed some light on that.

expresscarpark
Hooked

Hi

I had a look at the user guide of the smart HH6 but there is no mention of specifying the source ip address. Also I rang plusnet to see if they can recommend a router but they said that any standard adsl router should do the trick but they wouldn't recommend any make or model.

If anybody is using any other router that works properly, then it would be great to know the make and model number.

Many thanks.

expresscarpark
Hooked

I picked up a netgear dgn2200v3 from ebay for a fiver and connected it. It came up straight away and I was able to do port forwarding and specify source ip address. Lets see over the next few days if I have any issues.

Many thanks.