cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

Kevin
Rising Star

Re: Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

Yes, latest version I have is "BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 | Last updated 25/06/15".
My guess would be that you would have to connect the HH5 direct to get the update.
Kevin.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Kevin - do you know if your HH5 was connected to the PlusNet network when that update happened?
And if so, I am assuming it was connected directly (i.e. no OpenReach modem?)
Thanks in advance.
Kevin
Rising Star

Yes and yes, it was connected directly.
Kevin.
bj010

Hi i found your guide helpful,but there was a small problem.i tried many times to change the user details to plusdsl.net to no avail, then i entered plus dsl.net and it worked. so it may be helpful to others to just try typing plus(1space)dsl.net. when you look at the text its hard to see the space but am sure its there.

7) You'll then see spaces to enter your username and password.  These will be your member centre username I.E Plusnet2015 was your member centre login, you'll enter plusnet2015@]plusdsl.net as the username on the BT Hub.  Your password will be the one you use to log into the member centre. For more into visit https://portal.plus.net/m...mp;action=refresh_browser (login required)
Cool Then press connect 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ah, you've probably not seen this thread lurking on the Fibre board, there is quite a lot of useful comment there. If I draw your attention in particular to this I'm not sure how widespread the cursor jumping problem is but it might have been seen on the HH5 type A (see this) but in any event there should be no spaces in the username or password.  The Broadband username should be yourusername@plusdsl.net
I hadn't even realised that this post has been made on the ADSL board and it ought to be a sticky as well, I'll request the mods.
Edit: Anyone using an HH5 type A should also note this regarding lack of ADSL stats.
Eserim
Rising Star

So, are we totally sure that a Home Hub 5 has the ability to alter DNS to OpneDNS?
Anotherone
Champion

I'm not sure that anyone has said that unless I missed a post? If I have, could we have a link please? I'm pretty sure you can't on a 5B or 4A, I might be able to confirm that later. Dynamic DNS is optional but that is a totally different thing.
Eserim
Rising Star

The OP sort of said it
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135840.msg1271622.html#msg1271622
You can configure the DNS settings in the advanced tab section I believe. I'm not home to check this feature but when I am, I will have a little check and report back.
  But no report back.
Anotherone
Champion

It was "explained" by gwyndy in the following post. I'm fairly certain you can't on any HHs, but it seems you can't on the 5B (it's not mentioned in the Help or A-Z either).
Edit: As I've just mentioned elsewhere you could try Plusnet's Safeguard (log into the member centre to configure it). This uses some of BT's servers that are their sort of equivalent of OpenDNS. The other option is to configure each individual device to use specific DNS.
Eserim
Rising Star

Cheers - Just chewcking again, but if I get a 2nd hand HH5, wouldn't the DNS servers be locked to BT's? Or is it "locked" to whatever the ISP tells it to liock to - in our case Plusnet's - so SafeGuard would be a real alternative (when was that added ? I must have missed that memo)
Kevin
Rising Star

Just looked on my HH5a and the DNS servers are Plusnets, not BT's. But there isn't anyway of changing them that I could find. Somas you surmise, the hub seems to lock to the ISP.
Kevin.
Anotherone
Champion

It's not locked to BT's, it'll be set to the ISPs automatic ones. IIRC Safeguard was first mentioned here.
Thanks for the confirmation that they can't be changed on the 5A either Kevin.
Eserim
Rising Star

Cool = many thanks - I'll give SafeGuard a try - my main  test will be if it can be by-passed by changing device DNS (at the moment a good thing - but as children get older, maybe not 🙂 )
Anotherone
Champion

That latter situation is always going to be the case and just to "worry" you even more, when they use their "devices" elsewhere you won't know what DNS is being used if they can reset/change them. Search the forum though, I thought I'd seen some posts where people had ideas on preventing that.
Eserim
Rising Star

At the moment all off-spring devices are locked down with the Android App Screen Time  I can control what they see, what apps they use and more importantly block "settings"