Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

Quote from: BobJones6789
Thanks for the excellent guide, very useful and my homehub 5 now works! Something to add though, as I spent about an hour playing with it before figuring this out:
The homehub only accepts broadband passwords up to 12 characters long, but plusnet allows passwords up to 16 characters long so if your plusnet password is more than 12 characters long you'll have to change it for it to work with the homehub.

Thanks for this. I certainly wasn't aware of this. Many thanks for sharing this.
Quote from: crazydan7
hi, I am also using the hub5, but does anyone know how I can change the dns servers on this to point to open dns? I know I can do it on each machine manually but surely there must be a way to do this in the hub? cheers

You can configure the DNS settings in the advanced tab section I believe. I'm not home to check this feature but when I am, I will have a little check and report back.
Regards,
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
gwyndy
Dabbler

According to Expert Reviews:
Unfortunately for BT Broadband customers, this isn't possible on a BT Home Hub, meaning you'll have to look further down the page for our on-device DNS settings guide.

There is a section in the Advanced Settings

Dynamic DNS
To use a dynamic domain name system (DNS) service, you’ll first need to register with a service provider. The service provider will send you the information that you’ll need to set up your BT Home Hub (including your service username, password and host name).

But I don't think that is what you are looking for.
Quote from: NorthEasterner
Quote from: BobJones6789
Thanks for the excellent guide, very useful and my homehub 5 now works! Something to add though, as I spent about an hour playing with it before figuring this out:
The homehub only accepts broadband passwords up to 12 characters long, but plusnet allows passwords up to 16 characters long so if your plusnet password is more than 12 characters long you'll have to change it for it to work with the homehub.

Thanks for this. I certainly wasn't aware of this. Many thanks for sharing this.
Quote from: crazydan7
hi, I am also using the hub5, but does anyone know how I can change the dns servers on this to point to open dns? I know I can do it on each machine manually but surely there must be a way to do this in the hub? cheers

You can configure the DNS settings in the advanced tab section I believe. I'm not home to check this feature but when I am, I will have a little check and report back.
Regards,
NE
phil1964
Dabbler

Can you use plusnet tv with the hub 5
Emmalee77

Other than the hh5 what other routers can be used to replace the modem and wifi router. I'm fed up with a port being used for the modem as I have to keep swapping out cables as I have 4 that require Ethernet connection. I don't want to get a switch as that's yet another power socket needed.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

The TalkTalk Super Router is compatible on Plusnet and combines the VDSL (Fibre) modem and router into one.  It's exactly the same as the BT Hub 5 but a different design and brand.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Beware, there are a number of TalkTalk "Super-Routers", they aren't all the same and some aren't vDSL compatible. Also don't get confused with a Modem/Router if you want to replace the BT Modem, and just a Router that you can plug into the Modem of which there are plenty to choose from. Suggest start a thread on the Hardware Board, have a look at some of the other threads over there and a few on the Fibre board about Routers and Modem/Routers.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Think TalkTalk has damaged its reputation in the last few days with all the issues and data hacking they've had.  Roll_eyes
NE
Anotherone
Champion

A couple more snippets on setting up the HH5 type B on a Plusnet connection.
As was mentioned before, change "Enable Smart Setup" to No. Goto >Advanced Settings (you'll be prompted to login if you aren't already) then >Continue to Advanced Settings >Home Network >Smart Setup
Now, changing the Username and Password as described previously (>Advanced Settings >Broadband >Internet) -
When you go to enter both of these, there is some sort of timing on the cursor. If you don't type quickly enough (and I doubt you will be able to), the cursor will jump back to the beginning of the username Shocked  
So for example if you are trying to enter "myusername@plusdsl.net" if you are not watching you could end up with "usdsl.netmyusername@pl"    
Just keep an eye on what you are typing and if the cursor jumps back then move it with the cursor Left and Right keys and then delete the superfluous characters that appeared at the start, move the cursor to where you got to and continue. You may have to do this several times Roll_eyes    
Similarly with the Password:  - You need to click "Show Characters" before you start the password, and note when the cursor jumps, it goes back to "Broadband username" Crazy
This is on Firmware version v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) (and presumably later, can't say about earlier).
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I would think that is a bug.
If it is deliberate, BT would probably just grey out those boxes so you can't enter anything in.
Thanks for the tip @Anotherone
NE
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Been running the HH5A for about 3 months and I am pretty happy with it. Oddly however, it has never updated to the most recent firmware in that time. It is currently running "Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6" and I am all but convinced now that it is never going to update. Does anyone know if it has to be connected directly to the phone line for the firmware to update? I am running it through the OpenReach modem (via WAN port). I wouldn't have thought that would prevent a firmware update, but now I am not so sure.
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Anotherone
Champion

Unless the HH5A has a vDSL compatible modem (which I think it has) that would be the only time you can connect it direct. I don't know whether it's because you are using it as a Router is the reason it's not had a firmware update. Apart from not having used the HH5A (only the HH5B) it'll need someone with more knowledge about the upgrades.
Edit: Just a thought, have a look in the Event Log for CWMP entries, narrow the Category to TR069 if need be.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
Just a thought, have a look in the Event Log for CWMP entries, narrow the Category to TR069 if need be.

Thanks for that. Yes I have been monitoring the TR069 entries and it seems to 'report home' every evening at around 6pm as the following log entries show...
18:06:25, 03 Nov. (7171258.400000) CWMP: session completed successfully
18:06:25, 03 Nov. (7171258.150000) CWMP: HTTP authentication success from https://pbthdm.bt.mo
18:06:23, 03 Nov. (7171255.790000) CWMP: Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
18:06:23, 03 Nov. (7171255.780000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '6 CONNECTION REQUEST,4 VALUE CHANGE'
18:06:22, 03 Nov. (7171255.520000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 6 CONNECTION REQUEST
18:06:17, 03 Nov. (7171249.740000) CWMP: session completed successfully
18:06:16, 03 Nov. (7171249.500000) CWMP: HTTP authentication success from https://pbthdm.bt.mo
18:06:13, 03 Nov. (7171246.120000) CWMP: Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
18:06:13, 03 Nov. (7171246.110000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '2 PERIODIC,4 VALUE CHANGE'
18:06:13, 03 Nov. (7171245.850000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 2 PERIODIC
It does the same every single day but never seems to pick up any firmware update. I am stumped as to why. I can't imagine it's because I am going through an OpenReach modem, but anything is possible.
Anotherone
Champion

Obviously it doesn't seem to think you need an upgrade. Are you sure that what you think is the most recent firmware isn't for the type B rather than type A?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
Are you sure that what you think is the most recent firmware isn't for the type B rather than type A?

I am currently running "Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6". I believe the latest version is "BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11" (and there is at least one more prior to that which is still newer than my version).
So I am pretty sure I don't have the latest firmware already.
hevans
Grafter

Just logged on to the forum as I had a few queries along these lines so this piece has been excellent. Many thanks.
H.