Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

Mine updated to the latest firmware (I have Hub 5 Type B) Software version v0.07.05.0A13-BT on the 11/12/2015
Hub will restart when downloading and installing new firmware.
Regards
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
alexemmaburns
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi do you know if we can buy the BT hub straight from BT if we are not a customer? And do the BT hubs have faster wireless speeds?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you wish to pay that sort of money see here. But if you really want one, I'd have a look around eBay. There are usually a few Home Hub 5s for sale a reasonable prices, but I would recommend the type B if you want one.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: alexemmaburns
And do the BT hubs have faster wireless speeds?

They claim they do, however WiFi performance will always be limited by how the radio spectrum is used by others in your locality, no matter how good your WiFi router is.
Irrespective of that unless you are doing a lot of device to device data transfers faster WiFi has limited usefulness on ADSL.  Even in ideal circumstances, the Internet connection is never going to run faster than 22Mbps (data), so the super fast WiFi has to wait for the slow part of the connection.  In their adverts BT Retail hoodwink people with their claims about the fastest WiFi around, because it matters diddly-squat on an up to 17mbps ADSL service.  Now if you were on a fibre service, that's a different matter.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

greengrass
Grafter

I am changing over from BT to a PlusNet broadband and phone package on March 17th.
Although I have ordered a Plusnet router as backup I would like to carry on using my BT HH3 and the sales advisor said I should find instructions on the forum.
So I have printed out the instructions from post one of this thread and noted there maybe an issue with the cursor.
I have never been aware of or had to use the http://bthomehub.home page before.
Silly question but I assume this page opens when there is no internet connection?
Do PlusNet send a text to my mobile when they have taken over the service so that I know when to reset the HH and attempt to input my PlusNet broadband username and password?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hi.
Yes the link will work even though you are not connected to the Internet.  It is an internal link which directs you to the hub configuration page.
Yes Plusnet will text you to say the line has transferred over.
Regards
NE Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Anotherone
Champion

If you've provided a valid Mobile number and email address at the Member centre then you should get both all being well.
Yes, you can play with the settings with no Internet connection, but when it changes over (if the Hub is connected) it will sync up to the line anyway but not connect to Plusnet until you have put in your username and password.
Don't forget you need to go to the Settings Tab. Go and have a look now, then select the Broadband tab. You won't see anything whilst you are connected, but if you weren't you see the boxes!
NE typed quicker than me!
greengrass
Grafter

Thank-you for the replies. Yes I have added my mobile number and email address to the member centre.
When I go to http://bthomehub.home  and click on the "Settings" tab it takes me to the "please reset your password" page. Which I have never set in the past.
When I changed the password and click on "Settings" there are 7 tabs, the 6th one is "Internet".
Anotherone
Champion

Maybe NE can shed some light on that one - I'll try and have a look at one later. Is yours a type A or a type B?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hi.
Can you navigate to advanced settings them continue to advanced settings.
Then click broadband and then Internet.
Are you able to enter details here?
Thanks
NE
greengrass
Grafter

Thank-you for the replies.
I am not sure if my HH3 is a type A or type B, how do I find that out?
Northeastener, when clicking on "Settings" "advanced settings" I get this message
"Your BT Home Hub's settings are pre-set and don't need to be adjusted for general use for most Broadband access or home networks.

However, you can use your Hub's Advanced Settings to set up specific applications or complex networks.  "
Clicking "continue to advanced settings"
"Select one of the tabs above if you wish to change your wireless, Broadband, home network, port forwarding or system settings, or return to the basic settings."
There are 6 tabs, the second one is "Broadband". clicking on that gives me,
"Internet Connection Configuration
Connection Information
TCP/IP settings"
Staring from "Home" "Settings" "Enter your Broadband username and password (for non-BT Total Broadband customers)"
"You’re already connected to the Internet. No further set-up is needed."
So when my BT contract runs out I assume this will then give me boxes to fill in with my PlusNet username and password.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hi.
The type will be written on the underside of the hub.
From what you have written that sounds correct for your current set up with BT. Once service has disconnected, I would recommend removing the dsl cable (the cable that goes into the telephone socket) then enter your broadband details them reconnect the cable. Then hit connect if it hasn't done so automatically.
The reason why I ask to disconnect the cable is that in some instances the hub connects using BT details and this connects however Plusnet will not supply Internet to the router without your details being used. (in simplest logic).
Regards
NE
Anotherone
Champion

The sync will connect, but that shouldn't stop you changing the user details because the PPP session won't be connected to Plusnet, so the screen with Username and Password should show. I'd suggest checking/trying it first without disconnecting from the line. If that doesn't work, then power off the Hub and wait about a minute before unplugging from the line. Then power up and make the changes off-line before reconnecting the line. If you have any issues trying to do the changes before going on-line (other than any cursor jumping which I think may only be on the HH5B) then it might be advisable to do a factory reset off-line, make the changes, then go on-line.
greengrass
Grafter

Many thanks to both of you for your patience and helpful tips.
I will follow your instructions on March 17th and hopefully manage to get online.
It is a Type A by the way. HH3. I do also have an unused HH5 in a box and the PlusNet router on order.
Anotherone
Champion

Is the HH5 a type A or type B? I assume the Plusnet Modem/Router is the Hub "Zero" - the 2704n!