FIXED
ellythemoo
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

TP Link vs Linksys mesh

Dear all

Further to this thread

Fixed: Improving my wifi connection - Page 2 - Plusnet Community

I was given a Linksys mesh system and I wondered if I could use this in conjunction with, or instead of, my TP Link as I would rather have the whole of my house on one system, rather than having to keep changing Wifi connections when I go from one room into the other.

The problem appears to be one very thick wall which is just absurd given that my place really isn't that big!

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

Re: TP Link vs Linksys mesh

Have you tried having the same wireless name and password across all wireless access points?

Dan

ellythemoo
Rising Star

If only I could! I cannot figure out how to change the TP Link so that it has the same name as the Plusnet wireless.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@ellythemoo 

Are you using still using the TP-Link AV600 Powerline Adapter Wi-Fi Kit as mentioned in the linked thread?

It is possible to change to wireless name.

1) I dentify the WPA 4220 IP address on you Hub

2) Then in a browser enter the WPA4220 IP Address

3) You should get a logon banner - default password is admin

4) From the home page click on >Advanced >Wireless Setting.

Here you can change the wireless name and password to match the Hub

If you still want to use the Linksys mesh post the model number and which Hub you are using, hopefully someone can provided guidance on the setup steps

HTH

ellythemoo
Rising Star

Thank you for your reply. I have no hub, but an extender and an adapter. I'm trying to connect to this using the Tether app, but it won't let me login to the device. It says I may be connected to a guest network, limited by parental controls or have an unstable network. Gah!

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

The reference to a Hub would be for the plusnet supplied modem/router, do you have one and which is it?

How is the linksys mesh model number and how is it configured and its that the device your truing to connect to using a tether app?

There is a TP-Link app for the powerline adapters, search for tpPLC Apple and Android app stores. It might be necessary to have the device your running the app on connected to it's wireless name.

HTH  

ellythemoo
Rising Star

Thanks for your continued assistance. I'm a bit confused now; I should be logging into my plusnet hub/router to change the Wifi address to the name of the TP Link address? Presently, I need to switch from the TP wifi in my kitchen to the plusnet one, and then when I go into my bedroom I need to switch back to the TP one. Some Alexa devices are on the TP and some on the Plusnet, which is causing difficulties, so I was hoping I could get all of them onto one network (which is why I was going to try the mesh!). But I haven't even gone near the Linksys mesh thing yet. I'm hoping I can figure it out with the TP Link first. I think I got my apps confused though as I have now downloaded the TP Link app - thanks for that! I thought I should change the TP Link wifi name to Plusnet, but are you saying it's vice versa?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Fix

Sorry if I'm confusing you.

You need to match the TP-Link wireless name and password to be the same one the plusnet router has.

The tpPLC app does allow you to change the wireless name

ellythemoo
Rising Star

Thank you - I think I've done it now! Will see how this goes. Thanks SO MUCH for your help!

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Deleted post

Dan

ellythemoo
Rising Star

Dan, thank you so much. Everything seems to be working on the same network now. What a relief! I'm really grateful for your help. Thank you.