Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving my wifi connection

FIXED
ellythemoo
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Improving my wifi connection

Thank you. I do think I need a stronger Wifi as I've just got Alexa and it's struggling a bit for some reason. I will see if I can get a router from Freecycle or similar unless someone can recommend a brand to buy?

ellythemoo
Rising Star

An engineer came round on Friday and said there are some wifi blackspots in the house. He recommended a Powerline thingy and told me the one he used so I got it. Plusnet have pretty much washed their hands of the situation but I am getting a new router delivered which may help (they said they only send out the one type of router when I asked).

In the meantime the Powerline says "no internet". I've plugged it in all over the place so the only thing I can think is that the Plusnet router doesn't have a LAN port - it has a WAN port and then the rest are just ethernet ones. So do I have to buy another router too? Blimey this is hard work - and expensive1

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

and then the rest are just ethernet ones. 

those are LAN ports

Sounds like the Powerline unit isn't configured properly.

What make and model us it ? We may be able to advise on the setup .

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ellythemoo
Rising Star

Thank you - it's this one.

TP-Link AV600 Powerline Adapter Wi-Fi Kit, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot/ Extender, Wi-Fi Speed up to 300Mbp...

Ironically it says "no configuration required". 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Have you got them paired properly?

Best pairing them in adjacent sockets first. Then put them where you need them, then check that they still connect to each other. Unless they connect to each other you’ll not get an internet connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ellythemoo
Rising Star

I thought they'd paired, but reset them both and tried again. The LEDs all light up apart from the little ethernet one. Still nothing. Sad

SCRATCH THAT

Tried a third time and it works! HOORAH! Thank you very much.

It was suggested by the engineer that I plug in my Sky box to that extender. Is that going to weaken the Wifi signal please?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Fix
Will not weaken the WiFi signal. Both the WiFi access point and the sky box will share the Powerline bandwidth to the router … though I doubt you’ll notice it. If it had been a WiFi extender then that would have been a different matter.

These devices can be pesky to pair. Best done in adjacent sockets then located in wall sockets not extension leads.

ellythemoo
Rising Star

Thank you - this does seem to have done the trick, fingers crossed!