cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting 2.4GHz + 5GHz on new router settings

aideningram

Splitting 2.4GHz + 5GHz on new router settings

I received my new router today and after setting up most of my devices I've come across a problem with setting up my smart bulbs. 

With the previous router I had managed to split the two types of frequencies so that I could choose either 2.4GHz or 5GHz when connecting to wifi, however with the settings on this new router I can't find the option to do this.

The smart bulbs require the 2.4GHz connection in order to work. I've tried switching off the 5GHz connection completely and then attempting to connect the smart bulbs but this did not work either.

Please advise 

8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Splitting 2.4GHz + 5GHz on new router settings

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Presumably you have the new Hub 2, with three Lan ports and a Wan port? You can't seperate WiFi bands, or add 5 to the SSID on those.

You could try altering the Wireless mode, to narrow the frequencies devices can connect to - that should help with older devices.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@aideningram 

You can change your old hub into a single band WAP. If you want to try this tell us what hub you have..

Alternatively see this topic   https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Separate-Bands-with-a-Smarthub-2-or-Pl...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

aideningram

Aye that's the one I've got. Already tried messing about with the different wireless modes but still cant get the bulbs to connect.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What bulbs are they out of curiousity?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gilsmart

I had 4 devices wired to the 4 LAN ports on the hub one. Swapped them all over to the hub two and the hue bridge would not work. Realised there is only 3 LAN on the hub two and one WAN which was the issue. Have you checked if your hue bridge is plugged in the WAN port?
baldmosher

I have to wonder how it's possible to connect a device to 5GHZ wifi if you don't have separate SSIDs for each band. There are 9 devices connected to the router, and they are *all* connected on 2.4GHz.

That isn't peculiar to the Hub 2, it's pretty normal for any router with the same SSID on both bands.

What's peculiar is that you can't separate them!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@baldmosher I don't have a Hub1 or 2, but a Fritzbox 7350 - the bands aren't split on that by default although you can if you want, but my devices, a mix of 2.4 and 5gHz enabled, pick the correct band with no issue.

John