cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance

Keith67
Grafter

Re: Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance

Thanks for the advice, so the Business Smart Hub seems a bargain at £30 then ?  Smiley

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@typonaut wrote:

I got the thing about the boxes being different for the routers, but not able to tell the difference if people aren't showing the boxes or serial numbers.

If there are any pictures of the back of the router then look at the Ethernet connectors. See attached photo.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@jordanc1230 wrote:

Most of the Smart Hub's on the market are FTTC only

If you are an FTTP customer then BT gives you a special Smart Hub where one of the Ethernet ports is a dedicated WAN port instead. You are unlikely to find this version for sale or on ebay as they are very scarce. 

Most but not all are FTTC, which is why care is required. See: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BT-Smart-Hub-6-Router-In-Box-ADSL-broadband-or-Fibre-FTTP-red-WAN-por... for one with a very confusing description.

Moderator and Customer

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 I agree it can be highly confusing for those looking for one with 3 different versions available. Like I said if you are an FTTC customer I would personally go for the business version for the extra features you don't get in the other versions. However if you did accidentally buy the FTTP model it wouldn't be a problem for FTTC customers as it still comes with the DSL port and still has a built in VDSL modem, you would just have 3 Ethernet ports instead of 4. 

Baldrick1

@jordanc1230 wrote:

However if you did accidentally buy the FTTP model it wouldn't be a problem for FTTC customers as it still comes with the DSL port and still has a built in VDSL modem, you would just have 3 Ethernet ports instead of 4. 

That's the key piece of information I was not aware of. Thank you.

Moderator and Customer

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for all the help and advice. Just picked up a sealed business version (088317) for £25 delivered so its worth a punt to try and improve the wifi coverage of the hub one a little.. Hopefully it will work just fine on an FTTC line as @jordanc1230 seems to suggest it will.

I presume as it is new and sealed there is no need for a factory reset at the outset as is suggested in the setup instructions. Or might this obtain new firmware - not sure how firmware updates will be delivered to a BT router on a non BT account.

PT

Baldrick1

Mine reports a TR069 connection, presumably to BT, every day and updated to the latest firmware during this session a couple of days after I first installed it despite being connected to Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Will probably get round to installing mine over the next couple of weeks. The WiFi performance of the hub one is not great with lots of connected devices. I hope this is better but if not I guess I'll have to buy another trusty TP link device. In the meantime how are people finding the stability of connection with the smart hub? That is one thing that seems pretty good with the hub one.
PT
Keith67
Grafter

I too invested in a BT Smarthub 6 Business, although I have a TPLink 1750AC Archer C7 that works okay after the guys on here pointed me in the right direction, the stability is so far very good, although my Apple TV did drop the wifi connection a couple of times, I decided to use an ethernet cable on that as there are a few electical devices around the tv, alls well now though, its early days though, only been up and running two days.

Keith

Baldrick1

@PhyllisTyne wrote:
In the meantime how are people finding the stability of connection with the smart hub? 
PT

Mine will run for weeks on a 3dB SNR with no drops.

Moderator and Customer

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

For those that use the BT Smart Hub (6)

I see that firmware update occurred  a few days ago for me 16th Jan  to version  SG4B1000B522

Baldrick1

Interesting. Mine updated on the 13th January to SG4B1000B316

Moderator and Customer

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Mine updated on the 16th January the day after I had set it up and is now running SG4B1B008102. Interestingly I am using business version and noticed since the update the BT Wifi option has now been changed to an option called Public WiFi Mode.

Smart Hub.PNG

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Ahh, this might answer my other question. Mine is running SG4B1B00500C although it says it updated today. Hopefully it will get a version soon that allows me to turn 'public' wifi off which is a problem I have and can't solve. 

Keith67
Grafter

Hi, Login into your hub and select Status and look down the menu and you will see Public WiFi active, if it says yes then just click the box to turn off, I have the Business Hub, but guess its the same on the Home one.