Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow WiFi

FIXED
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Slow WiFi

We live in a new house in which we had ethernet points in every room (no, not in the toilets, en-suite & bathroom, before you ask) & so since we had Plusnet in Sept 2014  we never used wifi until a couple of months ago when we got a Windows tablet for browsing & checking emails.

Yesterday we got a new PN One Hub router as we'd just upgraded to TV & started a new contract so the router was duly installed & we decided to check out the wifi.

Oh dear, on the Windows 10 tablet we get a download speed of around 0.25Mbps with an upload speed of 7.5Mbps.On the Samsung R520 laptop running Windows 7 Pro we get a download speed of around 5.5 Mbps with an upload speed of around 8.5 Mbps.

We've just got an Amazon Firestick & that streams ok & presumably that runs on 5 ish Mbps.

On the ethernet connections it's happy days with 48.5 Mbps & 8.5 Mbps down & up.

We reinstalled the old Zero Hub, disconnected the cordless phones & the results are more or less the same.

It's not a major issue apart from we couldn't use the tablet to steam any media & the Firestick will be the only streaming  device occassionally using wifi as all the other devices are cabled so our query is more out of curiosity than necessity.

P.S. The Tablet, laptop & Firestick all show maximum signal strength.

2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slow WiFi

Fix

Hi there,

I'd take a look at the help page here first of all https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

I'd also recommend a WiFi scanner app (such as WiFi analyzer) to make an educated choice about which channels to connect the router to.

let us know if you have any questions about that.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Slow WiFi

@adamwalker

Thanks for your reply.

On looking through the help list I eventually found that it was a conflict with the tablet's Bluetooth. The mouse's Bluetooth connection kept dropping & the tablet was in constant pairing mode.

With Blutooth disabled the download shot up to 48Mps & the upload went up to 9Mbps which can't get any better.

With Bluetooth enabled & the mouse connected & not pairing I get anything from 5Mbps up to  25 / 30Mbps & 7 / 8Mbps down & up.

I can, therefore, use the Bluetooth mouse & keyboard for general browsing & emails & disable it when I need speed such as for doing large Windows 10 updates etc.

Thanks for your help.