Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Have A Better Router?

FIXED
NicDB
Grafter

Should I Have A Better Router?

Hi All

I have an old 2704n Plusnet Router and my fiber package is Unlimited Fibre Extra.  The wifi speeds of this router are not great and it doens't support 5Ghz connections.

Should I have had my router upgraded when I went for the faster braodband package? Soem research online seems to think I should.

I did have a BT HH6 that I used for a while until it fell over and stopped working.

What should I do?

TIA

Nic

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Should I Have A Better Router?

@NicDB Which product did you switch from to Fibre Extra? Do you have a separate ONT?As I understand it, if you switched to Fibre recently, you should received a Hub1 as part of the upgrade package.

John
NicDB
Grafter

@jab1  Thanks for your reply. I've been with Plusnet for over 8 years now and before that it was Madasafish, so  very long time.  I can't recall when we switched but it was a few years back. We updated from a slower BB package to a faster one in feb this year. We have a separate Openreach modem that our line from the wall plugs into and then on into the 2704n router.

Edit: It's FTTC that we have. The modem and router we received in 2015.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Ah - that changes things a little. I don't know the full details of what you can do, so I suggest you wait until one of the Help Team pick this up. There should be a way of replacing the two-box setup with an all-in-one though, I would have thought.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@NicDB 

When the BT HH6 fell over did you try a factory re-set and then set it up afresh?

Brian

NicDB
Grafter

@bmc  I had done a factory reset in the past, but when it happened this time and I was on the call with the tech support it wouldn't.  As I said, we had problems with it dropping connection sporadically and the service restarting - the log list was very very long! With the 2704n router and Openreach Modem the connection is rock-solid but the wifi is not that strong hence the need to buy a tplink router as an wifi access point via an ethernet cable.  The PN router is upstairs in our loft conversion and the tplink access point is downstairs so we get better coverage.

My main gripe is that we should not have to by a 3rd party router to provide the wifi coverage and speed we should expect from the supplied router that is now old technology.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Fix

Hello @NicDB

Given the length of time that you've been with ourselves, I've just ordered a router to be sent out to you free of charge. Our customer options team probably haven't offered an upgrade as your service would still work with the router that you currently had.

The new router you'll be getting is a Plusnet Hub One, which can be configured to use both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
NicDB
Grafter

@adam945 

Many thanks for this. That's great.  It will keep the wife and kids happy with the extra bandwidth and speed of the 5GHz.

Kind regards

Nic

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@NicDB 

Just so you're aware the PlusNet HubOne is a re-badged BT HH5. It does not have the best reputation for WiFi.

At least you can put the OpenReach modem into storage - or even sell it on eBay.

Brian

NicDB
Grafter

Hi @adam945 

Just wondering why I have an email saying I'm being charged £6.99 for postage of this item? I thought you said it would be free of charge?

Kind regards

Nic

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @NicDB, I am really sorry to hear about this.

I have now taken the steps to rectify this for you and have sent an email confirmation.

Should you have any further queries, please just get back to us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
grahamt
Rising Star

When you get your Hub One, access the admin control panel and check the firmware version (at the bottom of the home screen). If it has .263 near the end of the version number - which it probably will - go to the end of this thread and ask Bob Pullen to push the .289 update to you (giving the router serial number, which you can find via 'Troubleshooting.. Helpdesk' in the admin panel).

This could save you a lot of grief.