cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router speed slows down, but recovers after a reboot

girtonbaptist
Hooked

Router speed slows down, but recovers after a reboot

I'm IT for a church.  The download speed is 68Mbps following a hub reboot.   When I come to the hub after a week has elapsed,  the download speed will be 2-8 Mbps.   It will recover after a reboot.

It is no great problem,  because I do the reboot remotely.   But if there was some configuration change I could make to avoid the need to check and reboot, that would save me a bit of time.

14 REPLIES 14
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Router speed slows down, but recovers after a reboot

Did you measure the speed over wired ethernet, or less reliable wifi ?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
girtonbaptist
Hooked

The testing computer is connected via WiFi.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@girtonbaptist How long has the account been open?

John
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Can the computer be wired to the router to help diagnose whether it is incoming broadband fault, or a wifi issue when the slow down happens again?

What router are you using?

If it is the Hub One, you could log into the hub and check the broadband speed reported by the hub, before you reboot the hub the next time you suffer a slow down?

I suspect your problems are with wifi. 

Are other wifi devices affected ?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
girtonbaptist
Hooked

These are all good questions.  I'm remote to the site at present.  The one thing I can try is restarting the target computer (I connect using google remote desktop). 

If that has no effect,   I suspect it rules out the WiFi connection,  because resetting the hub fixes the issue.

I don't know which hub it is.   It's about 5 years old.  I've not seen a speed test on the hub user-interface.
This is the only device on the network.

I'll wait a week for it to slow down and try rebooting the PC.  If that fixes the issue,  I'll report back here and mark this resolved.

If it doesn't resolve it,  I'll travel to the site and do the speed test via Ethernet.

girtonbaptist
Hooked

@jab1 - The hub is about 5 years old.   The account has been active for about 6 months.  We had an 12-month or so hiatus in service due to CoVid-19 meaning we weren't meeting.  

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@girtonbaptist Being remote, I don't think there is much you can do, but this is my 'suggested' starting point:-

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Please report the 'Additional Diagnostics', and sight of the Help Desk tab would be a start.

I would also suggest you ensure you have a phone handset available and carry out a Quiet Line Test (at the location) - dial 17070 option 2.ANY noise other than the 'Quiet Line Test' message, report a PHONE fault first.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @girtonbaptist and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your speed.

Testing your line's not showing any issues as your router's getting 76mbps so all seems to be good on that front.

If rebooting your router brings your speed back I suspect, the router may have developed a fault.

Let us know though once you've had a chance to test things on an ethernet connection.

Also if you log onto your router by going to http://192.1.68.1.254, at the bottom of the Hub Manager, what's the firmware version? I'm wondering if you're on the latest one. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
girtonbaptist
Hooked

@Gandalf.  Thank you for your welcome.  It's nice to engage with people who know what they're doing.
The bottom line says "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 18/02/19"

That's the longest version number I can recall, it's more like an essay than a version number.

Regards,

Adrian

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Thanks for getting back to me @girtonbaptist 

Yep that’s the firmware version, it is fairly long Cheesy

It may be worth posting in the topic Here as we’ve got newer firmware we can push out to you that fixes a couple of known WiFi issues with the one you’re on. 

Of course though this may not be a WiFi problem if you’re having issues on an ethernet connection too and given the age of the router it could’ve just packed up.

Let me know how it goes. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@girtonbaptist

Actually if you can private message me the serial number and MAC of the router, from the label on the bottom, I'll add it to your account as it's likely we'll need this to be able to push the new firmware either manually or automatically. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@girtonbaptist 

You can get the required information remotely without looking at the label at the bottom.

on the Hub One navigate from Home  >Troubleshooting >Helpdesk (you will need to enter the admin password)

Line 2. Serial number:

Line 22. MAC Address:

Hope this helps

Dan

girtonbaptist
Hooked

@Dan_the_Van Thank you,  that was helpful.

girtonbaptist
Hooked

I waited until the target computer was showing a low throughput (0.5 Mbps down,  1.5 Mbps up),  then I restarted the PC remotely.

After restart,  rates were restored.

Given that restarting either the PC or the hub restores,  the issue is clearly the WiFi connection.   I'll go in (when I next get the chance) and factory reset the hub as described above, because there is a known problem with the WiFi 5 GHz connection,   although the PC is connected at 2.4 GHz.  That may fix the issue,   I'll let you know if it does.