cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router showing constant red power light - "WiFi registration failed"

Battle1066

Router showing constant red power light - "WiFi registration failed"

Joined Plusnet in the last couple of months and the router/connection hasn't been working properly since delivery/setup. Got the new firmware pushed to it yesterday and hasn't made any difference. Basically it goes into a state where you can't connect to the WIFI and upon power cycling the unit it works again for a period of time and then goes into the same state.

Examining the logs, the last reported error before a power cycle is "WiFi registration failed". Looking on the forums I can see similar issues but no immediate fix other than buy a new router.

Can anyone assist?

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Router showing constant red power light - "WiFi registration failed"

@Battle1066 - So when it enters this state, what is the status of the LED? Does it go red? I'm trying to establish the relevance of the post subject.

Having looked at what I think is your router again - I'm not sure you're on the latest firmware (version ending .1.3). Can you check? The version will display in the footer of the admin pages at http://192.168.1.254

If you're showing 1.1, then try a reboot and it should bring you up to 1.3.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Battle1066

@bobpullen To to be clear, this is regarding the router I PM'ed the serial number to you yesterday. Unfortunately I can't look at it at the moment as I'm remote to the router. It is at my parents house, I'm trying to sort it out for them and they aren't at all tech savvy, so unless it involves powering the router on and off again, that's about the limits of my ability to affect any change at the moment.

When in the problem state occurs, yes the LED is solid red. No events are in the log until the router is rebooted.

If you're certain the router isn't on 1.3 I can get it power cycled again to have it take affect. Also, is it possible to connect to the router from outside the LAN. So if I was to setup a Dynamic DNS address I could remotely log in to the router?

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Battle1066 - yes, please arrange for it to be rebooted.

No, the admin interface cannot be accessed externally. You would need to use some other method of getting remote access to a device on your parent's LAN and access from there.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Talldave
Hooked

I find Teamviewer great for remote fixes on parents' PC.

Battle1066

@bobpullen Even after another power cycle it starts off blue but then goes red again. I'm going to see if I can at least get confirmation of the firmware later this afternoon. What else would you be after to assist with this when I'm next down there to provide it.