Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router WiFi Problems

Bones1959
Grafter

Re: Router WiFi Problems

Cheers DS,
Yes plusnet promised us 34mps. That was with Ethernet cable that the plusnet tech witnessed we was getting 4 Mps, 2 plusnet techs have sent details on procedures on how they think may cure problem I will try it going though all 13 channels, 1 a day for next 2 weeks if no better I will take up plusnet offer of gogw, thanks for your advice mate, your a star.
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I'm still missing something here....

If all the speed tests were done via a wired connection, why the heck are Plusnet tech giving you instructions to sort out the wifi.

Wired = ethernet and wireless = wifi are two separate things. I'm baffled!!

Are you having issues with wired or wifi connections?

Bones1959
Grafter

Thank you DS for your help, when I’ve run tests with plusnet techs on phone it was though Ethernet cable. She accepted we was getting 4mps ,have done test 3 times, 3 different windows 10 laptops imho plusnet are dragging their feet waiting/hoping new firmware ( if they are updating it!) cures problem. Even if I use YouTube on IPhone get message “ no internet connection “thank you once again mate for your advice, just wish you could get senior tech job at plusnet.
Bones1959
Grafter

Sorry DS , forgot to say , though Wi-fi never ever got more than 15/16 mps
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Bones1959

I have just tested your connection once more and I can see your currently connected at 36.3Mpbs.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 36.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.5 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 620.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence ; 00:00 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 14
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-04-16T12:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 36.2 Mbps 36.2 Mbps 36.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 6.4 Mbps 6.4 Mbps 6.4 Mbps
Up Time 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-04-29T11:47:06.536+01:00 2019-04-29T12:02:06.536+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

We are absolutely more than happy to investigate this further if you are experiencing slow speeds on a wired connection. Hopefully I'm not treading over the same ground as my colleagues previously, but could you run a wired (Ethernet) test and attach a screenshot?

As @DS mentioned above, if we cannot see what you are seeing, our suppliers generally wont look to arranging an engineer.

When you have done so, could you also raise a fault HERE and let us know. We can get it progressed for you. 

I would also say, for the moment there's nothing concrete to say there's an issue with router firmware. But we are looking into a few things. Although, the problems people have mentioned seem to be exclusive to wireless so given you're saying the problem is wired too, I wouldn't associate what you're seeing with the router firmware.

Bones1959
Grafter

Hello, are you saying I must always use Ethernet cable to get Optimum speed? I can send speed tests from 3 different laptops if I do and it shows less than 20 mps on all 3 windows 10 will you admit theirs a problem with plusnet router?
DS
Seasoned Champion

@Bones1959 wrote:
Thank you DS for your help, when I’ve run tests with plusnet techs on phone it was though Ethernet cable. She accepted we was getting 4mps ,have done test 3 times, 3 different windows 10 laptops imho plusnet are dragging their feet waiting/hoping new firmware ( if they are updating it!) cures problem. Even if I use YouTube on IPhone get message “ no internet connection “thank you once again mate for your advice, just wish you could get senior tech job at plusnet.

Right, I could still be wrong, but what you've described is what I also saw, though not as bad as you.

Please advise as to what software version your router is running - http://192.168.1.254 and scroll to the bottom. Copy and paste it here.

Then, and only then, if it ends in 263 stick a reply over here - link but please answer the questions too Smiley

@Optimatts I'm being honest, but I did see oddities on wired connections too when using either of my H1's. This doesn't mean @Bones1959 is having the same - we really need to see the speed test results on a wired connection before when can say for sure, so please Bones1959 post some results up. Thanks.

edit to correct a typo

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Bones1959

Again, there is no confirmed fault with the router at present. We are investigating into some potential problems with firmware.

At present we would not look to replacing your router without looking into a potential line issue.

Hello, are you saying I must always use Ethernet cable to get Optimum speed?

To get the best out of your connection we always advise Ethernet is the way to go. It's a solid, tangible line.

Wireless can be affected by a myriad of issues and when we investigate a fault we always need to factor in the physical connection.

I can appreciate that the modern world of internet us is predominantly wireless, but essentially WIFI still connects using 2.4Ghz bandwidths, pretty much the same 100 year old technology as walkie talkies, baby monitors and radios. 

It's because of this nature that we can't use wireless connectivity as proof of a fault.

I Would highly recommend you try what I advised before, get a wired test done, screenshot it here and raise a fault.

@DS at this point id steer clear of firmware and just follow the regular process for slow speeds.

TEST > FAULT RAISED > POTENTIAL ENGINEER > RESULT

I wouldn't be so hasty delving into the firmware side.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Hey don't get me wrong @Optimatts I'm sorta on your side;)

Without seeing the 'evidence' we can't judge what is or is not actually happening.

And yes ethernet is always going to be better, as much as a pita that this in modern day life - I was fine with ethernet with my old tower unit, now I can carry this computer around with me.

But I was kinda thinking about my experience, which as you know is rather detailed, hence asking for the results to be posted up. There's also the cost implication, let's assume it is a software issue, that OR will come out and find no fault. As a possible 'cheap' or indeed 'free' option could be to downgrade the software, though we don't know what version is currently in use, nor do we know the results of any tests as nothing has been posted up, then see if the issues continue. If they do continue then we'll know it's not the software, but if they don't continue you've saved some money.

But, yep, totally agree the procedures need to be followed, but are they always the correct ones.....???Lips_are_sealed

(anyway, without knowing I simply can only guess)

Bones1959
Grafter

Hi DS, I was thinking the same thing about using my tower but instead of strapping it to back I was going to buy small wheel barrow and 30 metre Ethernet cable to be totally mobile!
DS
Seasoned Champion

Funny Well if you've got a 'barrow, you'll have room for the solar panel to run the PC too!!

Joking aside, I did have this laptop connected via ethernet the other week and moved it, pulling the ruddy router off the shelf (and some ornaments too) which unplugged it in the processKnuppel

Bones1959
Grafter

DS what you need like me is a 25 metre Ethernet cable, with me the “wi-Fi “ minimum 34 mps though Wi-fi wouldn’t be applicable and with you no more broken ornaments! Seriously I think you hit nail on head when you mentioned firmware, imho plusnet know they have problem with router ( read all the threads about router problems) but are hoping firmware can be sorted before plusnet have to spend big bucks replacing faulty routers. As for last tech “ not going over old ground” send screenshots, I offered to do that on the understanding plusnet compensate me for all my time wasted and them not delivering the mps I signed up for. I’ve said it over and over again I’ve spoke to plusnet techs did all they have told me to do never once have I received no where near the 34 mps minimum I signed up for.
DS
Seasoned Champion

I get what you're saying.

But due to my health conditions I really need to be wifi as much as possible, though I do run 2 routers, one downstairs and one upstairs, both giving wired and wifi connectivity. Fixed devices are mainly wired, but some are wifi too. The connections to each router were fine for a number of years and the primary router (the one connected to the phone line) was the one that had an update, that's when my issues started.

Bones1959
Grafter

Hi DS, talking of I’ll health I had stroke just before Christmas so the Internet is a life line for me, Really could do without the aggravation of plugging in Ethernet cable but done it now several times, did everything several techs have asked, as for screen shots I feel like their implying I’m lying! What do I get out of phoning plusnet tech department, doing what they ask and still not being able to watch skygo or BT Sport without it freezing? Without a doubt plusnet I’ve experienced 10/15 years we have had internet.
DS
Seasoned Champion

I'm sorry to here that @Bones1959

I've had ill health since 2003, which worsened rapidly in 2013. Add to that a heart attack last year and all the stress of connection issues (which actually first started in 2008, but got really bad last year) and then issues with the software, the last thing on my mind is ethernet cables!!

But I had to do this to rule out all other possible factors, more so to try and ensure we didn't get hit with the £65 charge in a no fault Openreach engineer charge scenario.

(the heart attack wasn't caused by the connection dropping, but it didn't help either)

I have been strongly advised, due to the heart attack and the heart disease they found, to avoid stress!! I did think about quitting the forums (and still do, but for other reason too) but as I'm pretty well much housebound now, this place is how I 'get out to meet other people'. My other conditions also make it very difficult to type (and you wouldn't believe how long this reply took).

By testing via ethernet, we can see if there's an issue with wired connections, likewise testing via wifi can identify other issues. The majority of issues can be rectified.

I have to agree with the forum staff though, although we shouldn't need to, but we have to back flip through flaming hoops before they can do anything. If your router is running software ending 263, then there is a chance the software could be affecting you, or you could be having other issues. I had to follow the rule book, but it was hard when the connection was dropping and the software was kicking me off the router, but having now ditched the hub one and using my own router, plus the last Openreach visit, I have had a stable connection, without any observed issues, for 12 Days, 12 Hours 44 Minutes (a bit precise, but I count every minute).