Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router WiFi Problems

Christian1979
Dabbler

Re: Router WiFi Problems

@MasterOfReality

Absolutely...my router hasn’t had any settings modified, so going to default on a previous firmware is fine.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Thanks for the confirmation, @Christian1979

I'll add this to the report that's compiled at the end of each day, and request that we get this done for you once the products team are back in on Monday, we can then proceed accordingly from there. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

(tagging @bobpullen so he has visibility of the thread)

Christian1979
Dabbler

Just to update this thread...

I split/unsynched the frequencies and now have separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless networks. All my permanently connected home stuff is on the 2.4Ghz and the laptop/iphone/ipad on the 5Ghz. Everything stable now and for the last week, the 5Ghz network hasn't dropped. So, its got something to do with synching the frequencies into one network?

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Well, this tends to be common issue with BT and Plusnet routers. Why the default is to merge them from factory is, imho, 'stoopid'.Crazy3

It would save all this hassle if they were split, right from the get-go

What happens is 5GHz device bounce from 5GHz to 2.4GHz most of the time. More so if you're just on the limit of the 5GHz.

(5GHz is better close to the router, but 2.4GHz reaches further)

(5GHz connects faster to the router, not necessarily to the www)

HTH

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@DS wrote:

Well, this tends to be common issue with BT and Plusnet routers. Why the default is to merge them from factory is, imho, 'stoopid'.Crazy3

There are arguably pro's and con's to both approaches. Yes, in this instance splitting the frequencies helps, but we're seemingly looking at a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place?

By splitting the SSIDs out of the box, you're adding complexity that some of our non-technically inclined customers may not have any desire to understand e.g. if you choose to connect solely to the 2.4GHz radio without understanding the implications, then you could be limiting the potential of your connection and introducing unnecessary congestion from competing access points.

Not entirely relevant to the Hub One, but you'll see the merged approach more and more as mesh Wi-Fi becomes more prevalent and Wi-Fi technologies mature (most mesh solutions require the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs to be aligned).

I was hoping to 'do the rounds' and dig a bit deeper into some of these complaints this weekend, however it's unfortunately going to have to wait as I'm without my laptop PSU and I've no other mechanism of getting onto the corporate VPN at the moment Sad

Hopefully make some progress next week...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

There are arguably pro's and con's to both approaches. Yes, in this instance splitting the frequencies helps

I guess one could argue it's more pro's. It would appear that (my guesstimate) 95%+ are advised to split and voila it's fixed.

but we're seemingly looking at a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place?

Totally agree. Though if the routers were split at the 'factory', with yous lot, busy ironing this out, for the update to then merge them back, could avoid this sort of issue in the first place. This was an issue on the HH5, so plenty of time (you'd have thought) to suss it out...?

By splitting the SSIDs out of the box, you're adding complexity that some of our non-technically inclined customers may not have any desire to understand

Get that too Bob:). Though my thoughts above might be a better approach, perhaps? Let's say, for ease of use, WPS oly connected to 2.4GHz only, then users make a choice to manually connect to either?

if you choose to connect solely to the 2.4GHz radio without understanding the implications,

From my own experience, thus far, 2.4GHz is the better option, as 5GHz at roughly 6 metres is problematic. Understand the limits this causes, but can't see the majority of users sitting near the hub for most of the time. IDK, just guessing.

but you'll see the merged approach more and more as mesh Wi-Fi becomes more prevalent and Wi-Fi technologies mature

And I can see the positives to this too, but for me, the cost implications would be my limiting factor. If you're planning on releasing one, stick my name on a trialists list!!;)

I was hoping to 'do the rounds' and dig a bit deeper into some of these complaints this weekend, however it's unfortunately going to have to wait as I'm without my laptop PSU and I've no other mechanism of getting onto the corporate VPN at the moment

There's no rush. BT had long enough and I'm grateful you'll be seeing this one through to a positive conclusion Smiley won't you?

If you need a 'victim' for testing, although I'm about done (can see you posted over there, but not read it yet) with my testing, give me a shout. I'd love to finally crack the HH5/H1 issue, once and for all.

Just very frustrating.

Bones1959
Grafter

Joined plusnet in December 2018 was promised minimum 34mps, after several calls to plusnet technical department who imho are clueless after running broadband speed test thought Ethernet cable using Windows 10 and Microsoft edge got 4(four) mps! Plusnet tech on phone was clueless, before joining plusnet never had any trouble with internet, previously with TalkTalk, BT , Sky, now when watching skySports never ending pixelation and dreaded Wheel of death! Plusnet are not providing the service I signed up for, it is not fit for purpose , have already complained to ofcom I suggest anyone having this problem so the same. We have been promised engineer would call, never happened, we’ve been promised that we will get our minimum 34mps, ain’t happened. Plusnet maybe cheap but they provide a very poor cheap service
Bones1959
Grafter

Forgot to say doesn’t matter what channel router on, tried 1 to 13 all as bad.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Bones1959,

I'm sorry that you've been experiencing problems with the performance of your connection and for the inconvenience that this has caused. I can see that the last advisor that  you spoke to treated this as a wireless issue, despite you mentioning that this is also affecting wired connections. I'm sorry for this oversight and I'll pass feedback on.

Testing your line isn't picking up the problem from here and indicates that your line is currently syncing at 36.3mbps:

If you've not done so recently, please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, please report it here and let us know when you've completed it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Bones1959
Grafter

Did all things listed several times, I’ve noticed it seems a fairly common problem with people on the forum, it’s the mps drop off that’s the problem, if you have any way of checking records of times we have phoned and run though these procedures. Is it a possibility that some of your routers are faulty?
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @Bones1959,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I appreciate your comments that you have been through our technical procedures before. We will be happy to look into any issues further, do come back to us if you feel the need to do so.

With regards to our routers, as with any hardware there can be issues that are experienced from time to time however there is no widespread issue with the routers that is a cause for concern. We will always first look into what could be causing connection or speed issues as and when they occur, if a router does not appear to be working as it should then we will look at replacing the router if the situation demands it.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks - LF

Bones1959
Grafter

Thank you LordFoul (great user name) 🙂 for replying so quick, I’ll try all 13 channels over next 2 weeks, if it doesn’t help I’ll get back to you. Cheers.
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Thanks for the kind comments, @Bones1959.

I won't tell you what my username refers to but I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere.

Anyhow, do let us know how the 'channel hopping' goes. I hope you find your optimum before you get to 13.

Thanks - LF

Bones1959
Grafter

Sorry didn’t see your reply,
Checked broadband speed yesterday 15.5mps, was watching skyGo app was pixelation was terrible! Worse than when we was getting 14mps max with another provider. Seems to drop off when big sporting event is on , tried all 13/14 channels, no great change, just a major pain in ???? Changing channels every night. If you say I’m receiving 36mps but by the time it reaches 3 different laptops, all windows 10 all using 1 Ethernet cable and without cable 2 foot from router to me proves the routers not working right.