Did you mean: 

Router WiFi Problems

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Router WiFi Problems

Hi @Bones1959,

I'm sorry that you're still experiencing problems with your connection. I've tested your line but unfortunately our tests still aren't picking up the cause of this problem from here:

Please can you run the BT Speedtester service here. Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics.  Please type in your phone number and click run diagnostic test.  This will run a test and send the results to the server for investigation. In order to give the most accurate result, this will need to be done on a wired device with no other devices in use at the time. Please let us know when you've done this and we'll be able to investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I'm not sure, but could it be that @Bones1959 is running a Plusnet Hub One with the latest software, ending in 263 and this is causing the issues?
Bones1959
Grafter

Thank you for your quick reply, what do I do to get replacement router? Thank you again.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Bones1959

Thanks for coming back to us - replacing the router at this stage won't help. If the issue does relate to the router firmware (which remains to be seen) sending a replacement will just result in the new router being upgraded to the same firmware and potentially the same issues the will occur.

That being said, if the issue is apparent via a wired connection it is much more likely to be a physical connection issue as per the previous fault you raised in March. If you could perform the speed test and additional diagnostics as per Emily's previous post and then raise a new fault for us here, we'll ask our suppliers to investigate accordingly.

By all means, once we've exhausted the faults avenue we could look at replacing the router, but honestly, at this stage, I feel like that would be wasting your time as it's unlikely to resolve your problem.

Please let us know if/when you raise a fault.

Best wishes

Dave

Bones1959
Grafter

Sorry dave but we’ve done test at least 20 times, same results here. Either we get new router or we will be seeking compensation, we was promised at least 34 Mps minimum, we pay for 34 mps, previous tech said you do have problem with 1 of your routers so either make arrangements for replacement router today or I’ll be contacting ofcom. I’m sure you have my address to send new router.
Bones1959
Grafter

I'm not sure, but could it be that @Bones1959 is running a Plusnet Hub One with the latest software, ending in 263 and this is causing the issues? Make sure new router you send works using software ending 263 plus can you send me details on how I can claim compensation. Thank you.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, we would only look at replacing a router if it sounds like there may be an issue with it and in all honesty in that case it doesn't sound like it. 

Please try following the checks Dave recommended so that we can assist you further. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bones1959
Grafter

How many time do you think I should change channels? Is 20 times not enough? As I’ve ask previously can you supply me with procedure to claim compensation? So just to confirm when I contact ofcom you are refusing to replace a router with known issues.
Bones1959
Grafter

I appreciate your comments that you have been through our technical procedures before. We will be happy to look into any issues further, do come back to us if you feel the need to do so.

With regards to our routers, as with any hardware there can be issues that are experienced from time to time however there is no widespread issue with the routers that is a cause for concern. We will always first look into what could be causing connection or speed issues as and when they occur, if a router does not appear to be working as it should then we will look at replacing the router if the situation demands it.

From your tech Lord foul.
So will someone there admit there is a problem with some of your routers? and as another tech said “ their is a problem but enough for us to be concerned “ will it is a concern for people on here like me who are paying for minimum 34mps but getting no where near that! To go over what you advice me to do to solve this problem, as I’ve said I’ve lost count amount of times I’ve talked to your techs, went though all the stages with 1 of your highly skilled tech, with all the techs skill got the incredible speed of 4mps! It seems you don’t want to admit you have a problem with some of your routers, will some techs do some don’t. Will be contacting your complaints department and ofcom first thing Monday morning.
Bones1959
Grafter

Sorry but do you actually read what I’ve wrote? I’ve contacted by phone your tech department I’ve carried out everything they adviced, it got to point where I remember every stage but still no improvement! Honestly I don’t need anyone else telling me what to do. Do you think if I do it another 100 times it might cure the problem?
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Bones1959

If there is an issue with your router's firmware then sending another router would not make a difference as it will have the same exact firmware.

I have looked into your wireless setting and I can see that there is something that you have not yet done that could be causing the issue you are having.

What we need to change are a couple of settings on the Wireless page of your router's menu. What we are doing is often called 'splitting the networks'.

To do it you will need to get hold of any device with an internet browser on, and it will need to be connected to your Plusnet WiFi or plugged in via an ethernet cable to the router.

1. Please open an internet browser and navigate to the address '192.168.1.254' by typing it into the address bar.

2. You should be greeted by the router's main menu page (saying Plusnet Hub One at the top left). On this screen please click 'Advanced settings' from the four main options at the top of the screen.

3. At this point it will ask you for a password otherwise it will not let you through to the next page, the password to type in here is on the same little card that has your WiFi password on it and is labelled as the 'Admin password for Hub Manager'. The next page is just a screen that asks if you are sure you want to go to the advanced settings page, please click 'Continue to advanced settings'.

4. Now there should be a set of subheadings in the purple bar at the top, go to 'Wireless' (first from the left). Then there is a second set of subheadings just below where you just clicked 'Wireless', please click on the option that says '5 GHz Wireless'

5. There are two things to change on this page: Firstly please ensure that 'Sync with 2.4 GHz' is set to No (this is the second option down). The other thing to change is the 'Wireless SSID' (this is the network name as it appears when you are looking for WiFi networks to join). It doesn't really matter what you change this to as long as it is different to the name that was already there, to avoid confusion I recommend leaving it the same but adding '5GHz' to the end. Once you have made these two changes click apply and 'yes I am sure'

6. That's the hard part done, the final thing to do is to go around each of your wireless devices one time and connect them to the 5GHz network that you just set a new name for, in much the same way as if you were connecting to the WiFi for the first time.  You may find that  some of your devices do not 'see' the 5GHz network, do not worry about this most older devices do not have the ability to see the 5GHz.

Once this has been done, please monitor the quality of the connection for a couple of days and get back in touch if there are still issues.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

As I probably started the recent posts, I feel I should at least try to help

I wrote:

I'm not sure, but could it be that @Bones1959 is running a Plusnet Hub One with the latest software, ending in 263 and this is causing the issues?

@Bones1959 wrote:

Make sure new router you send works using software ending 263 plus can you send me details on how I can claim compensation. Thank you.

I'm not an employee. My reply was purely due to the content of this entire thread, up until my reply. Please feel free to read from page 1 and try some of the steps offered to try and resolve your issues.

What compensation do you seek?

Have you tried some of the suggested steps?

Have you completed the speed tests (fully) via a wired connection so Plusent can see these results?

Have you reported a fault using the links provided?

If you have done all of the suggested wifi tips and it still isn't working, let me know and I'll try to help you further:)

Bones1959
Grafter

Hello mate, compo will be for plusnet promised minimum 34 mps, even going through all the stages several time with several techs 1 tech witnessed I was receiving only 4mps.plusnet are not providing the service they promised Several weeks ago I was promised an engineer would try house, still no engineer
DS
Seasoned Champion

Right, starting to understand better now

So Plusnet gave you a MGALS (minimum guaranteed acceptable line speed) of 34Mbps and you're not getting that. What I can't see is if the this was via an ethernet cable, though I can see you had 4Mbps at some point.

Is this always slow?

If Plusnet are not seeing the speed results (hence why they ask for you to do the entire test) then this could be why you're not getting an engineer that you want.

Treat the team on these forums as a different team when compared to the call centre staff;)

If they can see the speed is low and this is caused by them, then the forum team could possibly offer a GOGW (gesture of goodwill) for the hassle.

So, with a device connected via an ethernet cable, what speed are you getting now?

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @Bones1959,

I have ran a broadband test on your circuit, you're currently syncing at 36.3mbps which is within your MGALs with your RADIUS connection log showing no drops and a solid connection over the last 28 days. The next step would be to confirm the speeds you are receiving over a wired speed test - if you could let us know?

With regards to a gesture of goodwill, once we have diagnosed the issue and resolved it we will be able to discuss this and come to an amicable agreement.

Thanks.