cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Replacement Recommendations

DangerDonna
Dabbler

Router Replacement Recommendations

We have a PlusNet One router and have had issues with flaky WiFi amongst other things so was wondering what are the best alternatives for 2021/22. Be great if it support WiFi 6 but not totally necessary. Had a look online but as so many don’t have a VDSL modem and other forum posts are from a year or two ago I was wondering what’s best now.
10 REPLIES 10
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Router Replacement Recommendations

@DangerDonna 

I've not got one myself but personally, if I were looking to replace a PlusNet router economically and with "typical" requirements I would buy a second hand "Business Smarthub 6". The going rate seems to be less than £40 and for that it's a good bet and there are instructions as to how to make it work on this very forum.

There are many other alternatives but the thing about buying a second hand "Business Smarthub 6" is that if you don't find it suits your needs you are likely to be able to sell it again.....

I am the satisfied customer....
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

I would like to jump in here as my HH6 gave up the ghost on Christmas Eve. Plusnet helpfully did a few checks and reckoned that the problem was at my end. After doing my own checks I got my old Hub 1 out of the cupboard and it connected. 

I now need a new router too but am wary of overpaying for one on Ebay again and would rather put my money towards a new one.  There is some serious kit out there for those who need it but my line restricts me to 20Mbs and seldom more than three users maximum.

There seems to be a fixation with old BT hubs here which is perhaps understandable as they work with PN too.

I miss my old Netgear but it would not work with FTTC. I wonder if anyone would like to make recommendations for value routers that do a good job for "ordinary" customers?  Yes, I have tried Google.....!

P S .A PN Hub  1 with a simple Netgear range extender, used as the main connection, gives an excellent signal. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@TeeGee 

Have you still got your Netgear unit? If it was ADSL only you could probably get an old OpenReach modem (HG612 I think) off eBay.

Brian

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@bmc 

I do have my old Netgear modem, it was certified for speeds up to 600mbs but not VDSL.  A good suggestion but I really do not want something else to plus in in my overcrowded office. I even have an old PN router that I believe will take more up to date firmware. Quite a few Smarthub 2 on Ebay at promising prices.......

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@TeeGee 

How long have you got on your PlusNet contract? PlusNet will (should) supply a HubTwo on re-contracting. It's basically a SmartHub2

Brian

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Another year to Jan 2023!
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@DangerDonna 

Apologies for having accidentally hijacked your thread. As you say, there are so many choices and I had rather hoped that my addition might  have prompted a few suggestions!  When searching for routers it also seems that there are now a number advertised for FTTP which adds to the confusion when reading specifications.

With a poor phone line I probably cannot do much better than the PN Hub One and my decent range extender.  Living in hope however!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@TeeGee wrote:

I would like to jump in here as my HH6 gave up the ghost on Christmas Eve.

Chances are that there was a glitch on the line and this resulted in your Plusnet. log in credentials getting deleted. This can occasionally happen. If so then all that you need to do is take out the DSL cable, re enter your username and password and re insert the DSL

@TeeGee wrote:

There seems to be a fixation with old BT hubs here which is perhaps understandable as they work with PN too.

I don’t think that it’s as much a fixation but a realisation that a Smarthub gives far better performance that a 2704n or Hub One at a bargain basement second hand price. 
I don’t dispute that if you spend a small fortune you can get equal or better performance. Personally I would suggest that anyone with that budget spend it on a Mesh solution instead.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Chances are that there was a glitch on the line and this resulted in your Plusnet. log in credentials getting deleted. This can occasionally happen. If so then all that you need to do is take out the DSL cable, re enter your username and As simple as that. password and re insert the DSL

As simple as that!  I have been involved in the internet for years and it just did not occur to me. Never happened before in years but MANY thanks for this solution. Hope it lasts!!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@TeeGee 

If something causes the Smarthub to crash it simply resets and downloads the default credentials from the BT server, which triggers a reconnection in the same way as a Plusnet hub will on Plusnet's system. All the customer therefore sees is a short break in service, hence this happening. I never experienced it myself but know of just one (and I think one on this forum) where I have fitted Smarthubs for friends and relatives. Therefore in my experience it's pretty rare.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'