cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPOE authentication with Plusnet FTTP not working

witherford
Rising Star

Re: PPPOE authentication with Plusnet FTTP not working

Can you share the "setup" details please and I will try them?

witherford
Rising Star

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 98

Yeah they are, or they can be found on https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@witherford wrote:

2) The network I connect to on the ISP side is likely to be very different, I reckon and an entirely separate network in ways, I reckon if I went back to the copper network I would likely be connecting to a different access concentrator.

On the contrary, you authenticate against the same platforms regardless of VDSL/FTTP.

@MisterW wrote:

@bobpullen is there any mileage in trying the 'setup' username? would that confirm if it is a basic authentication problem.

The setup username isn't appropriate, however I will share some authentication details privately with @witherford that bypass the L2TP tunnel to the BNGs. As above though, the current path is near (if not) identical to the VDSL service, so logically I would not expect any difference.

@witherford wrote:

... so the golden question is, who has access to the access concentrator mentioned previously in this thread and can this be passed onto them.

I believe checking the logs on there is the next logical step

I'm afraid this is probably where we draw the line in terms of diagnosis from this side. We're talking core equiment of a multi-ISP platform. Whilst I can't explain your experiences with old vs. new services, this is an example of a single subscriber struggling to connect third party equipment, where the ISP-provided device (and I assume others) are working fine. Might sound a bit harsh (sorry if so), but we've not got much collateral to be ruffling certain feathers Wink

Edit: @MisterW - I thought you were referring to the default router username for some reason. There may be some merit in trying the Wholesale test creds, definitely no harm in trying.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 398

The network I connect to on the ISP side is likely to be very different, I reckon and an entirely separate network in ways, I reckon if I went back to the copper network I would likely be connecting to a different access concentrator.

That's the strange thing, AIUI they aren't any different, once they get into the guts of the Openreach/BTw system. Both FTTC and FTTP are GEA ( Generic ethernet access ). I cant imagine that the concentrators would be different.

Can you share the "setup" details please and I will try them? If Bob thinks it might give useful information then I can

Having said that , the bt_test_user@plusdsl.net is worth a try. I'm not sure about the bt_test@startup_domain though

edit: Bob's post crossed with mine and hopefully provides better ideas

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

witherford
Rising Star

The details sent to me privately do not work, I have tested the below details and have detailed the outcome.

Testing access to BT's network:

Username: bt_test@startup_domain
Password: test
Outcome: Uses the same ACC and fails

Testing access to the plusnet network:

Username: bt_test_user@plusdsl.net
Password: test
Outcome: does not work

So it looks like my prediction mentioned before was correct it's not getting into the Plusnet network, according to the diagram linked below the login details i used above tests BT's network. Well when I was looking at the logs the ACC that it was trying was the same one, acc-aln2.nao.

Broadband Faults Guide - Authentication (Auth) - Plusnet Community

So it looks like acc-aln2.nao is BT's not Plusnet's and that is where this is failing for some reason.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So it looks like acc-aln2.nao is BT's not Plusnet's and that is where this is failing for some reason.

but I dont see why the Hub 2 would be getting a different concentrator ? if it is ?

does the Hub 2 event log show which concentrator its hitting for its PPPoE auth ? (probably not!)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

witherford
Rising Star

Good call, just checked and it does not, I would have to get a hub and plug both the Plusnet router and ONT into the hub and perform a packet capture for any hope of getting that I think.

witherford
Rising Star

I think it's going through the same concentrator so either the Palo alto is doing something odd with the PPPOE requests or the concentrator is denying me access.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I would have to get a hub and plug both the Plusnet router and ONT into the hub and perform a packet capture for any hope of getting that I think.

You would, I've got a 5 port managed gigabit switch that can do port mirroring for just that situation.

I think it's going through the same concentrator so either the Palo alto is doing something odd with the PPPOE requests or the concentrator is denying me access.

I'd be pretty sure its the same concentrator. I cant see why (or how)  it would , but if it was denying access, I wouldnt expect it to even send a CHAP authenticate request. The PA doing something odd is my favorite Im afraid.

Did you manage to find the Cisco ?

witherford
Rising Star

I think the cisco router is for weekend me, I might log a call with Palo Alto as I do have support with them.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

One last straw to clutch ( for the moment!) can you try setting the authentication to auto ( rather than CHAP ) in the advanced PPPoE settings

witherford
Rising Star

Already tried long before coming here

witherford
Rising Star

Which make and model is the 5 port switch?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Its a Netgear GS305E https://www.netgear.com/support/product/gs305e.aspx#docs

I needed a 5 port switch a while ago and decided it was worth paying a little extra for a managed one. Just in case I needed the extra functionality, ( I havent yet used it in anger )