Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPOE authentication with Plusnet FTTP not working

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

Re: PPPOE authentication with Plusnet FTTP not working

Yeah acc-aln2.nao is a BTWholesale Multi Service Edge device. For customers on Plusnet static IPs then this essentially acts as a LAC where it does a RADIUS query into Plusnet, we see the username as having a static IP and assign the tunnel end point of one of our BNG devices which then does the auth against your username and password and if correct will allocate your static IP and let you on the network.

Normally in your router logs you'll see a CHAP auth against the MSE then a second CHAP auth against one of the BNGs and we'll see an auth request in our logs. Neither of those happen so leads me to believe there's something amiss between the Palo Alto config and the MSE.

We know your account and line are setup correctly because the Plusnet Hub works.

The BT MSE you're on for FTTP isn't necessarily the same as when it was FTTC. The link between your exchange and the MSE (SVLAN) is likely to be different so it could well be a different MSE device, maybe a different firmware or something else different.

Are you able to share the config from the Palo Alto? Might be something set that was none-standard but worked on FTTC but not now. We should have an escalation route too if needs be, a packet capture would be really helpful if you can get one.

Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
witherford
Rising Star

HI dave, Yes I can send packet capture, debug logs and everything to you, do you want it all via private message here?

Looks like most of my suspicions are right going off everything you have just said.

witherford
Rising Star

Just sent you a private message with packet capture and debug files.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

We really have the A - team on it now, both Dave & Bob😀

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Are we any closer to bottoming this ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

witherford
Rising Star

Dave is waiting back on someone from BT, I have a managed switch that can do port mirroring so will do a packet capture this weekend of the Plusnet router authentication and we can see the differences.

I will be posting what the fix is here if we resolve the issue.

leighboy
Hooked

Please update the post if you manage to resolve this. im having the same issue with a PA 440 

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

@leighboy  interesting that you're the same. I presume it's working ok with a different router (Plusnet Hub?). Did you also upgrade from FTTC and it worked on FTTC before that?

@leighboy @witherford  to both on you, on FTTC what modem did you have for the VDSL service and have you done a reboot and/or factory reset on the Palo Alto since the switchover? It shouldn't need a reset but just checking for completeness while I'm waiting on feedback.

Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
witherford
Rising Star

Hi Dave,

When I used FTTC I used one of the BT openreach modems, the PA-220 plugged into the LAN port on the modem and the VDSL port was then plugged into the master socket.

A reboot has been done of the PA-220 and a software upgrade all to no avail.

leighboy
Hooked

I did indeed upgrade from fttc and was using the Openreach modem before , no authentication protocol was used previously so i suspect the modem was doing that part. for reference, I do have a static external ip address also.

Edit - the hub works fine, in bridge mode it also fails to make a connection 

I have rebooted the FW . A factory reboot of the fw would be to much agro with the level of config on it.

witherford
Rising Star

Exact same as me just a PA-220 vs 440

leighboy
Hooked

@dave   interestingly  when i put a switch in between  the plusnet hub and the ONT and  use a span port to see the traffic flow in between I get nothing at all.

When I have the Palo alto and the ont offloading to the span port  in my packet  capture i can see.

ppp information 

challenge (code98) from: acc-aln3.ea-d
response (code67) my username with plusdsl.net
 followed by  (60) failure chap authentication failure

then active discovery terminate 

does fttp need to authenticate in a different way? different prefix to the end of the usernname maybe?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

does fttp need to authenticate in a different way? different prefix to the end of the usernname maybe?

Nope! It's exactly the same. I've used at least three different routers on fttp all configured with the same pppoe credentials

interestingly  when i put a switch in between  the plusnet hub and the ONT and  use a span port to see the traffic flow in between I get nothing at all.

The Hub 2 does try to detect whether it has a wan or dsl connection, maybe it can't detect the wan through the switch. Can't see why  it shouldn't though ?

witherford
Rising Star

I have attached a packet capture of the Plusnet router performing the authentication through the ONT which is successful.

I have highlighted the packets which to me are of attention, after packet 15 we would normally get CHAP auth failure, but we don't instead we get a configuration request from the remote end and a further exchange of ACK's and config requests, before a challenge from what I presume is the plusnet end which is a JUNOS device (packet 20).

I have taken a look inside of the configuration requests and ack's and their is a negotiation of the MTU @ 1492 followed by the authentication negotiation which is CHAP with MD5, this applies to both sets of authentication.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, that's about what you would expect.

Whatever your pa220 is sending back in response to the chap challenge isn't being accepted.

Since we can see the username and that's the same as the hub2 i assume?

So it's got to be the password it doesn't like. Problem is the pw is md5 hashed using the Id and magic value from the challenge so it's very difficult to check if its being sent correctly