cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router disconnecting

andrew3498

New router disconnecting

Hi,

I have just connected my new Plusnet Hub 2 (previous Plusnet router was working fine, but decided to upgrade to the newer one) but it keeps disconnecting randomly every few minutes with an orange light on the router. Eventually it returns to blue and works again. Anybody else experienced this? I am trying to give it a bit of time to hopefully settle down, but if not, the old router will be going back in.

Regards

Andrew

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: New router disconnecting

Log in to the hub by putting 192.168.1.254 in the address field of your web browser.

On the Home page under My Services you will see the current Broadband Username. If it’s setup@plusdsl.net then it has not been configured by PlusNet authorisation systems.

First try a factory reset of the hub by pushing a paperclip or similar into the reset hole and hold the switch closed for at least 20 seconds, the LED should turn green and then release

Leave the Hub Two for around 10 minutes and check Home page for correct Broadband Username <your username>@plusdsl.net

If it still shows setup@plusdsl.net follow these steps.

Navigate from the Home page to >Advanced settings (you will be required to enter the Hub One admin password this found on bottom of the Hub or card with WiFi password).
Click on Continue to Advanced Settings then >Broadband >Internet

This page details your broadband Internet Connection Configuration.

Click on disconnect, if this does not work it may be necessary to remove the DSL cable.
Enter your correct username <your username>@plusdsl.net and password.
Plug in DSL cable (if removed) and click on Connect
Check your Hub One has logged on to the correct Broadband Username

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
andrew3498

Thanks for your reply. The username is our username followed by @plusdsl.net . I guess I will have to see how it is tomorrow. If it still keeps disconnecting, I will return to the old router, which is a real shame, but I work from home and need reliable service
jab1
Legend

@andrew3498 Very strange - the username/password error, which you don't apparently have, is the usual culprit for this issue. To be honest, I personally  can't think of other reasons, but maybe other Community members will have a better idea. I have no experience of this Hub as I am no longer with PN, but I would persevere as it is a definite improvement when it works correctly.

@MisterW  @Baldrick1  - any ideas

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Sight of the helpdesk tab and event log would be useful

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW True - I was a bit tired when I posted last night, and forgot the obvious. Embarrassed

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

To help find the required info:-

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk or >Event Log

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information or >Event Log

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @andrew3498, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry that you've been having some issues with the Hub Two! I can see a number of drops yesterday, though things look to have stabilised since. Have you still got it connected or did you change back to the Hub One?

I've had a test of the line and this hasn't highlighted any issues. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
andrew3498

Hi Lauren

It has been more stable the past couple of days, so I am hoping it was just bedding in. Does it have to install updates when it is new that can cause connection to drop? I'm just guessing. Either way, I will monitor it for another week and hope it continues to be stable. On the plus side, my wireless range in the house is much better with the Hub 2.

Thanks

Andrew

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Andrew,

Cheers for getting back to us. I'm glad to see your connection's a lot more stable now and WiFi range improved!

The router should come with the latest firmware, but any updates should go through in the early hours of a morning. 

I'd agree and keep an eye on it, but let us know if you have further issues or there's anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet