Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Plusnet Hub One router reboots daily

FIXED
mrbrighton
Hooked

My Plusnet Hub One router reboots daily

Hello,

My Plusnet Hub One router reboots regularly for no apparent reason - causing us to lose internet connection for 2-5 minutes while it restarts. This currently happens about once/twice a day, which is regular enough to be really annoying.

I've looked in the EventLog under the "WAN" category and I see entries like this being reported while the router is rebooting...

• ( 727.330000) PPPoE is down after 9 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
  • ( 811.780000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=39950Kbps, Up Rate=8300Kbps; SNR Margin Down=20.1dB, Up=7.5dB
  • (132304.190000) PPPoE is down after 2191 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
  • (132391.370000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=39950Kbps, Up Rate=512Kbps; SNR Margin Down=11.7dB, Up=6.7dB
  • (134.490000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=39950Kbps, Up Rate=9997Kbps; SNR Margin Down=21.9dB, Up=16.3dB
  • (10416.290000) PPPoE is down after 171 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
  • (10502.830000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=39950Kbps, Up Rate=6046Kbps; SNR Margin Down=21.2dB, Up=7.8dB

Please can somebody advise how I can fix this; do we have a faulty line or is there a problem with the router?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

29 REPLIES 29
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: My Plusnet Hub One router reboots daily

Moderators Note

This topic has been released from the automated spam filter.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @mrbrighton,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues. I've run a test on your line this evening and whilst we can definitely see that the connection is dropping out, we're unable to pinpoint the cause of the fault. If you haven't already had the chance then I'd recommend running through our troubleshooting guide (found here) and setting your router up within the test socket in the the property (another guide here), to see if this resolves the issue. If not, please drop another message onto this thread to let us know and we'll pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
mrbrighton
Hooked

Hello again,

I have run through the steps in the troubleshooting guide (except for step 4 as we don't have microfilters) and the problem is still occurring.

1. Listen to phone's dial tone: I plugged in a corded phone to test it and found the dialtone is clear with no crackling.

2. Make sure all the right wires are plugged in properly: Done. I have also now unplugged the phone so only the router is connected. We do not use the landline phone anyway.

3. Plug your router into the master socket: The router is already plugged into the master socket. We have no extension sockets. See attached for photo of master socket.

4. If you need to use microfilters, make sure they're working: We do not have microfilters. Instead the master socket has a clip-on front panel which I think serves this purpose?

5. Check if you've fixed the problem:  The router has rebooted since testing the above. Most recent was at 10:51 today:

10:51:39, 21 Sep. ( 6635.770000) PPPoE is down after 81 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
10:53:07, 21 Sep. ( 6723.340000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=39950Kbps, Up Rate=6169Kbps; SNR Margin Down=16.3dB, Up=2.5dB

Please can you advise what are the next steps?

Thanks.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@mrbrighton I note that @TheMightyAJ has already replied here, but from reading the log snippets you have provided, something somewhere is not correct - your SNR figures are all over the place.

I would suggest taking the front section of the Master socket off and plugging the DSL cable straight into the TEST socket (via a filter if you have one) to eliminate issues with the socket itself - these sockets have been known to be temperamental.

Also (just for my interest, really) although it may help, can you post a screenshot of you router Help Desk tab?

John
mrbrighton
Hooked

Thanks for the suggestion @jab1. I've plugged the DSL cable into the TEST socket using an old ADSL filter I have, as shown in photo attached. I can't see how this could be achieved *without* the filter - because the plug is an RJ11 and won't fit the TEST socket on its own.

@jab1 wrote:

these sockets have been known to be temperamental.

I have noticed that the front section of the master socket doesn't clip on tightly and wobbles.

mrbrighton
Hooked

Hi @jab1 

@jab1 wrote:

Also (just for my interest, really) although it may help, can you post a screenshot of you router Help Desk tab?

Please see attached for my router HelpDesk tab.

Thanks,

Mike

jab1
Legend

@mrbrighton wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion @jab1. I've plugged the DSL cable into the TEST socket using an old ADSL filter I have, as shown in photo attached. I can't see how this could be achieved *without* the filter - because the plug is an RJ11 and won't fit the TEST socket on its own.

@jab1 wrote:

these sockets have been known to be temperamental.

I have noticed that the front section of the master socket doesn't clip on tightly and wobbles.

Looking at the picture, I can see the 5C unit is screwed into a solid wall, and you say the front plate 'wobbles'. This is a common problem - if the wall is not t totally flat, and the unit is screwed down too tightly, the front plate does not fit correctly and internal connections get flakey.

Not an ideal situation, but I bet if you leave it like that for 48 hours or so there will be no further issues.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @mrbrighton 

I had the same issue with my NTE5c wobbling, it was caused by the screws used to secure it to the wall socket.

The 5c comes with self tapping screws and I expect these have been used rather than using tapped electrical box screws like these https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-carbon-steel-raised-countersunk-switch-box-screw-l-40mm-pack-o... other makes are available!

Hope this helps

Dan.

jab1
Legend

@Dan_the_Van - the OP has a problem with the front plate (mk.4) not fitting snug, which has been, in previous problems of this type, shown to be a distorted 5C unit - screwed too tight to an uneven wall.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@jab1 

I found the self tapping screws did not secure the box tightly and it moved about a bit, the treaded screws fixed the issue for me. 

Before I used threaded screws just touching the 5c made the phone line crackly and the line drop no problems since.

5. DSL uptime: 38 days, 23:19:02
6. Data rate: 19999 / 79904
7. Maximum data rate: 27003 / 85380
8. Noise margin: 10.2 / 3.9

Not saying this is @mrbrighton problem but it is something worth checking

Dan

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Dan_the_Van  The mark 4 faceplate which fits the NTE5c mark 2 master socket does not screw on it has nasty plastic clips, which are not secure. The Mark1 version had screws.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@jab1 @RealAleMadrid 

So it is perfectly clear I am referring to these screws

screws.png

The box would NOT be screwed directly to the wall there would be a electrical back box behind it where the incoming phone cable would be presented.

Dan

jab1
Legend

Ah, sorry Dan - never even had the faceplate off mine, and wasn't watching the BT guy when he fitted it.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

This topic seems to be getting lost in the noise.

The important thing is @mrbrighton , does plugging in to the Test socket cure your problem?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'