Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move network from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x

FIXED
johnjdb

Move network from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x

Hi,

I've got some servers and a switch I need to connnect to the Plusnet hub but they are on a 192.168.0.x network.  They are set to Static IPs so its a pain to have to setup keyboards/monitors etc to change them.

Can I just change the hub IP Gateway address and use a manual DHCP range?

I've highlighted the sections.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Move network from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x

@johnjdb  Welcome to the forum.

I see no reason why not, just give it a go.

If you get into a mess then just push a paperclip in to the factory reset hole, keep the switch closed for 30 seconds and that will recover the original settings.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi @johnjdb 

I see no reason why not, you sound happy with your connection, so you just want the internal IP changed so you have a different subnet and everything is accessible?

You can keep DHCP, just change the router from to a 192.168.1.x to a 192.168.0.x subnet. Everything on DHCP. Your network (PlusNet of course et al) will stop working as when the changes take effect with the router resets itself. The main problem is having things dynamically allocated and they it is mid flux between the two - you'll have problems accessing the devices not on the subnet for a bit. You just need to time for it to right.

In your position, I would make the change to the router and your subnet, put them on that they're not working after then. Not diea, but better than nothing. Then one use device (obviously the most important one) turn it off DHCP. Then you can see if your changes have worked and test that theory when you change them all over.

Once you're happy with that, you can change the DHCP. That will still take a few days to propergate around the interet bear in mind. So if you get annoyed try not to, it does when I have done it before and I worry I hsve made a mistake.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
johnjdb

Are you suggesting to just change the IP address of the gateway?

Does this automatically change the DHCP range then?

Cheers

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@johnjdb 

I don’t use these hubs so can’t try it but as I suggested before, why not just try changing the settings to those that you want? You’re not going to break anything and a factory reset will always put the settings back.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Fix

@johnjdb wrote:

Are you suggesting to just change the IP address of the gateway?

Does this automatically change the DHCP range then?

No, that will be a separate setting change. There will be a DHCP server setting change somewhere. That tells the router what range to issue out to the other devices.

You will need to do it in few stages.

Change the IP address of the router, and DHCP range from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x.

You'll then probably need to release the computer from its current IP and ask it to get a new one on the 192.168.0.x range. With something like:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Then it should pick up an address on the 192.168.0.x range meaning you can then access it. Depending on your other devices and whether they're using DHCP or not you may have to get them to ask the DHCP server (the router) for a new IP range via the settings just so it is done before the lease expires and it means, depending on the device you will need to ask the device to be released from the old IP and get a new one. Otherwise they won't be accessible until the router gives it one within the new range.