cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

FIXED
BK63
Hooked

Re: Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

I found this thread after having problems with devices disconnecting only recently after months of no problems and eventually decided to disable 5ghz band.

I now have about 43 devices connected to 2.4ghz without problems and more when my wife is at home.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router. Better late than never.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Bleakers
Hooked

Ok, so this is a me too message.

We've recently been through the house with a bunch of wifi enabled smart plugs, Echo Plus, Echo dot etc, and now if we try and add or connect, something else gets booted off, or you have to physically disconnect the wifi connection etc.

Sometimes the 2704n router is just then locking everyone out and the only way is to reset it, which is not ideal.?

Sounds like the same issues as Bripnet777?

Cheers

Bleakers

Bripnet777
Grafter

Impressive?   what router are you using?    Most info I have found in past when trying to solve my connection problem where between 10 and 20 device connections.   Only recently a few manufacturers are now boosting of up to 32 and 64 devices due to the recent home connection gadgets boom.

Bleakers
Hooked

Cheers for the reply.

Like you, my broadband speed is quite stable and adequate for most of the things that we do, but after getting a whole range of new connected gizmos / things, the router is just not happy.

Makes no sense really, especially with the internet of things meaning that the number of devices trying to connect will only go up....

My router is the 2704n and its old now...  My IT literate stepson couldn't make it any better either...

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

If Plusnet guys send a better router (2.4 and 5 signals)  then should solve, but may now be system works its your fault for adding so many devices..  😉

If any help...

You may or may not want to go down route of getting router from ebay or whatever site.  A couple of posters have recommended a BT6 model,  but whatever router you get needs to have the dual channels.

Then try and get as many devices as possible on the 5ghz band.  That will leave a lot more connections for the Alexa stuff that will only use the 2.4 band.  ( My lightbulbs and some swicthes only use that band,, you may have better switches but check)

I did put some tips to another poster a few messages ago, but basically stick devices where possible to the 5ghz band ( delete the 2.4 connection, so it does not drop back to it)

good luck

Bleakers
Hooked

Hi,

Yes, saw the tips, but the WiFi plugs specifically want the 2.4 channel though, everything ese should be able to change...

Would like plusnet to have a look.

Thanks for your help

Bleakers

Bripnet777
Grafter

I think the 270n only has the one channel of 2.4ghz,   fine for the desktop and few phones etc,  But now we want to stick all sorts of gadgets in the home and routers have not yet caught up.  A dual band router at least doubles the connections . 😉

Bripnet777
Grafter

My message may be confusing  ( delete the 2.4ghz )

I meant if connecting a device, say phone  on the 5ghz band... Then delete the saved connection for the 2.4ghz band on the phone.  I found sometimes my connection moved back to the 2.4 connection sometimes with out realising it.

Dont stop using the 2.4ghz band!!    that will be a whole load of more pain   😉

BK63
Hooked

I have just changed to BT Home Hub 6 that my daughter had finished with after changing to NowTV broadband.

I reset it and put in the same connection details as my Plusnet Hub One so that everything connected quickly.

I now have 45 devices on 2.4 Ghz and 6 on 5 Ghz.

BK63
Hooked

Now 45 and 11.

Bleakers
Hooked

Hi,

So I am having issues with this..  I have to turn wireless off on one device to allow another to join after increasing the number of devices through an echo plus & dot, 2 smart power strips, two ipads, three iphones,and 4 smart plugs.

That makes 13 and I'm finding that i have to turn one off to allow something else to join the network, as in Bripnet777's original post.

I was hoping a member of plus net staff would have picked this up to respond as it seems not sensible to start a new thread when this is exactly the same issue as I have...

I'm hoping someone will pick this up now.

Bleakers

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Bleakers

Thanks for adding to this thread - could you confirm whether you're using the Hub Zero (Separate lights for the various functions - power, wifi, Internet etc) or Hub One (One horizontal light across the middle)? I can see that previous posters have been sent a Hub One to replace the Hub Zero which I'm happy to do if you don't already have one.

@bobpullen - I can see that we were investigating this with the vendor of the Hub Zero earlier in the year - did we get a definitive answer/resolution to this?

Best wishes

Dave

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@RandallFlagg wrote:

@bobpullen - I can see that we were investigating this with the vendor of the Hub Zero earlier in the year - did we get a definitive answer/resolution to this?

Yes, as alluded to in my post back here.

There is a hardware limitation that will not allow more than 16 devices to be wirelessly associated at any one time. If people are seeing this limit kick in before this 16 device threshold is reached, then it would be useful to know:-

• Whether or not you have anything wired directly to the router?
  • How many devices you see listed with device type 'br0' when browsing to https://192.168.1.254/arpview.cmd

If you have a legit need to connect more than 16 devices then a different router, or additional Wi-Fi access points, is the way to go.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Bleakers
Hooked

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me:

My router I think is the Hub Zero or 2704n?

I have connected to it:

via Ethernet ports:

• desktop PC
  • Canon Printer
  • BT power-line adapters master unit

Via WiFi:

• 3 x iPhone's
  • 2 iPad's
  • 6 Woox smart plugs
  • 2 Woox smart strips which on each has 3 switchable sockets and 1 bank switchable USB charging ports (I imagine these operate as a single connection each strip, rather than the individual sockets)
  • 2 laptops

As previously stated, I often need to turn WiFi off for example on an iPhone or iPad to get a laptop to connect. This weekend we had visitors staying with multiple phones, laptops and iPad's and turning WiFi on and off etc was bonkers....

I'm not sure what legitimate need constitutes, but I intend also change my heating system to Hive, so another WiFi device and am considering WiFi CCTV....

With the rise of SMART homes and the IoT, I can't see a device with a 16 unit limitation being viable?

I could not access the device using the link, the .254 webpage refused to connect

Thanks for your help

Bleakers