cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

FIXED
myagi2020

Re: Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

Dear all,

I think its rubbish of plusnet (still) not to make the limitation more obvious and e.g. provide an option at signup - I would have been OK to pay a little to cover a better router. I've decided to buy a wifi router - at least it means next time I change supplier (now highly likely!) that I wont have to spend ages re-doing wifi setups each time.

thanks for the responses everyone!

afordgt

I have the same issue. Sagecom 2704N on fibre. Recently added a few Google Home devices, and I always have to disconnect one or more of them in order to connect a tablet or PC. I currently have around 20 devices in use in the household, of which 12 are always on.

How do I go about getting a router that can support more devices? 

jasefromspace

I ended up using my old BT router (BT Hub 4), which was easy to do with a Plusnet customer service rep talking me through it (took about 5 mins).

Before doing this a different Plusnet rep told me I needed to check all the channels on the Sagem router, but take my advice this takes ages and does not work!!

I believe Plusnet know they have a problem here, but the feeling I got from the last advisor I spoke to was that they don't have the kit to update the routers. 

It's really poor to sign up with a company that gives no warning of this issue and then have to use your own kit (luckily I didn't have to buy mine), but I have to say that the last guy I spoke to was very helpful and sympathetic, and I've had no problems since. 

Midjet76

I got a BT hub 6 off eBay for a £5. Have yet to set it up. Will update here accordingly in due course. Will also be looking at the competition in the coming months as not happy with Plusnet's inaction. If that happens they will also potentially lose 3 phone contracts too
CrashBangWallop
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Isn't this all fixed by simply adding another wifi router to your existing network ?

You know just plugging it in and adding all the devices to your second Wifi network.

Then your fish tank can talk to your dishwasher, Korea can listen to your baby monitor, and you can live stream the camera in the compost bin while you are on the train.

I need to unsubscribe this thread it keep from  emailing me things that start

"Waaaaaaaah my IOnT devices wont all connect"

(The "n" in there isn't widely publicized but it stands for "needless" in regard to most IOT stuff)

If you configure static IP addresses you can use another 240 devices with the device you already have.

Midjet76

That's why most are complaining cos they may well connect by WiFi, but get no internet connection. I had a second router setup a Netgear with DD-wrt firmware but still had same problems. I just received a second hand BT Hub 6 I bought of eBay for a£5 plus additional postage£4 and all seems well so far, but I've only had it in for less than 24 hours.
CrashBangWallop
Grafter
Fixes: 1

If a second router exhibits the same problem I would suggest the IoT device is incorrectly configured or missing some parameters that the router fills in when creating dynamic address allocation.

If you choose to create a fixed IP address for a device you also need to setup the following, assuming the normal Plusnet router configuration.

Netmask : 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.254

DNS: 192.168.1.254 

If you have more than one entry for a DNS server you could add any of these to improve reliability

plus.net.        7180    IN    A    212.159.8.2
plus.net.        7180    IN    A    212.159.9.2

dns.google.        346    IN    A    8.8.4.4
dns.google.        346    IN    A    8.8.8.8

Apologies if Grandma knows all about eggs and straws of course

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Midjet76 wrote:
I had a second router setup a Netgear with DD-wrt firmware but still had same problems.

I didn't interpret that statement in the same way as @CrashBangWallop 

I read it as the Netgear router running DD-WRT was not used instead of the Plusnet router (because DD-WRT capable routers rarely have built in modems), but was configured as a secondary wireless access point on the assumption that the 12 device limit was a Plusnet router wireless limitation.  However if the DD-WRT wireless access point is using the Plusnet primary router to supply DHCP addresses (and assuming the 12 device limit is the maximum DHCP range) then the problem would still exist.

Midjet76

Yes that's how I was using it.
Midjet76

I have no idea now,I set it up a while ago hoping it would give me more connectable ports, which it didn't as Nibiru pointed out. But I also did it to boost the signal downstairs as I live in a 3 storey town house.
Hopefully, the BT Home hub 6 solves all my woes. So far so good ...