cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub2 as a dumb modem

RichDee

Hub2 as a dumb modem

Running a new Mesh system for the house using a Tenda MW12 5 unit system, would like the HUB Two to just be a straight broadband modem only, allowing the Tenda to deal with DHCP. What is the best way to configure the HUB Two to be a simple dumb device please, allowing the Mesh system to deal with DHCP please?

24 REPLIES 24
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Hub2 as a dumb modem

Hi @RichDee welcome to the forum

I was recently reading the online help for the Hub Two and it reads about the light being Pink.

Screenshot 2021-12-14 082212.png

The instructions to turn it off would be (take from the support video script).

From the hub homepage, accessed via going to 192.168.1.254 on a browser.

On the home page select the “Advanced settings” box in the bottom right.
Then "Broadband" in the top left.
The scroll down to the very bottom of the page and unselect the “Bridge mode” check box.

So to turn on it must to Select "Bridge Mode"

I am not saying this will work as I've do not have the device but it is worth a try.

The good news for all it is if the Hub Two does work as a modem for users like you who want to create a network mesh or use a more configurable 3rd party router..

Let us know how it goes.

Dan.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@RichDee @Dan_the_Van is correct, there is bridge mode option on the hub2. I've just checked on mine and the option is there. I've not been able to check if it works though

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@RichDee - assuming the Tenda device can manage the PPPoE connection, then you would need to configure it to do so/enter your broadband username/password etc, and then connect the WAN port of the primary node to an available LAN port on the Hub Two after it has been switched to bridge mode.

Note that once in bridge mode, the Hub Two will be difficult to access/manage without setting IP addresses/gateway etc. statically on the device/client you are connecting to it. Another option if you need to get it back is to factory reset.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Bazarooney
Hooked

I have the Hub1 running in bridge mode with an ASUS mesh and it is working fine. I recently re contracted and got the new Hub2 but am reluctant to use it unless there are any advantages to using it compared to the `Hub1 which as I said us working fine. Any thoughts?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Bazarooney 

I don’t know how you are using your Hub One but it’s NOT as a bridge modem. It hasn’t got this functionality.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Bazarooney  The Hub2 can be put into Bridge modem mode so it will do the job properly, the Hub1 is not acting as a stand alone modem so you are probably in a double NAT situation which is not recommended, but this seems to be working for you.

Bazarooney
Hooked

Thanks for the advice. You are correct I have not been using the hub1 in bridge mode but as an access point, not used to the terminology. Will have a go out setting the Hub2 in bridge mode on Sunday. My wife is just finishing writing her latest book and would not take kindly to using internet access😳 Can anyone point me to a guide how to connect my ASUS mesh system to the Hub2 and indeed how to set the Hub2 in bridge mode ?

thanks again for your support

Baldrick1

@Bazarooney 

To get the terminology right you have not been using the hub in access point mode either. You should have set the mesh unit as an access point, if you haven’t you are double NATing.

The instructions for setting a Hub Two have been given to you in post #2 https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub2-as-a-dumb-modem/m-p/1846290#M29863.

You then need to connect it using one of the LAN sockets to the WAN input of your mesh and using PPPoE enter your Plusnet username and password to the mesh settings. To do this read your mesh manual.

Moderator and Customer

briston
Aspiring Pro

Are you sure you have a hub1 in bridge mode. Certainly you can turn off the WiFi but when I then connected it to my mesh I found I was subject NAT 'd. Eventually I ditched the hub1 and got an old BT modem to connect my mesh to. Just got a hub 2 as I understand that will operate in true bridge mode
Baldrick1

@briston 

Keep up at the back there  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub2-as-a-dumb-modem/m-p/1855065#M30745

Moderator and Customer

Bazarooney
Hooked

Yes not so much dumb modem as dumb poster🤒

SeanM1
Hooked

Hi - I've just received my Hub2 awaiting upgrade to Fibre. I currently use a separate modem and router such that I can get reasonable Wifi in the main part of house. I'm looking to replace the current Dlink-320 modem (192.168.1.1) with the Hub (in Bridge mode).

The Hub 2 work fine connects to internet OK and I can address it via direct RJ45 cable as 192.168.1.254 and switch it to Bridge mode. I then need to change the setup on my Router (D-Link 868 - 192.168.0.1) to issue the PPPoE data - username + PW.

When I do this I can make no further contact with the Hub2 - and of course I have no internet.

The Dlink devices function with the Router using a DHCP connection to the modem and the Modem records the router in its DHCP table.

The problem seems to be addressing the Hub2 IP address - I've tried plugging the Hub via RJ45 connection into the back of my D-Linking 868 router and Pinging it - its not registered any connection  - I'm a little mystified?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The Hub Two is behaving as I would expect it to in bridge mode. You have disabled routing functionality and are literally using it as a modem. As such, you would not expect to be able to able to easily address it via IP.

If you must, then it's likely only going to be possible by connecting a device directly to one of the Hub Two's LAN ports (1, 2 or 3) via ethernet and manually configuring the network adapter of the connected device with a local IP in the 192.168.1.0/16 range and the gateway address 192.168.1.254.

Regarding lack of Internet access, you don't explain how the 868 is wired to the Hub Two? An ethernet cable would need connecting from the WAN port of the 868, to one of the first three LAN ports on the Hub Two. Is this what you have done?

On a final note, have you actually tried using the Hub Two by itself and seeing how the Wi-Fi performs? I have a strong suspicion it is a more capable device compared to the 868.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SeanM1
Hooked

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Reasons for needing this setup are physical - its an old Victorian House - Master socket is on the First floor of the rear offshoot.

Lots of corridors, stairs and thick walls before Wifi makes it down stairs.

Current setup uses the D320 modem RJ45 plugged into a powerline adapter = down to similar adapter in living room - them RJ45 to WAN input on D868 Router. This has provided reliable service for many years and the router should still be amply fast for the level of Fibre service I'm switching to (40G). Previous Plusnet router would never provide the coverage - HUB2 may be better but the physical obstacles are still there.

I simply connected one of the Lan ports of the Hub2 to the powerline adaptors and assumed I'd be able to reach it in the usual manner. So far no joy.

The problem will relate to telling the D868 where to look (default gateway etc.) but this didn't appear to conventional in terms of the setup menu and eitherway I think I ought to be able to ping the Hub2 if I'm ever going to reach it. Will have another look tonight