cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub1 not for fit for purpose

briston
Aspiring Pro

Hub1 not for fit for purpose

Looking at at least 2 threads about problems with the hub1, a telephone call last night revealed plusnet had said the hub1 is not for for purpose. Just thought I would ask, what now?
33 REPLIES 33
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Hub1 not for fit for purpose

who imparted these words of wisdom?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
briston
Aspiring Pro

Telephone call, details given below.
[CSA Removed] - CSC Analyst
8:36pm, Thursday 5 Mar 2020

Moderators Note: CSA name removed as per Forum rules

briston
Aspiring Pro

After consultation with his supervisor it was suggested I purchase

TP-LINK TL-WR940N WiFi Cable & Fibre Router - N450, Single-band
Product code: 227992 from pc world. Advertised as
For standard internet connections
N450
Ideal for low internet use
Single-band (2.4 GHz)
And plusnet will refund the £24.99.
Well that will get rid of the 5GHz problem won't it.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@briston 

As far as I am aware the big problem with the Hub One concerns wireless performance. The official answer to your question  What Now? Is that Plusnet is working on it.

Also if you read the Router board you will learn that BT Smarthub 6s are available for very little money, have better performance and work without major issues.

Edit.

Grab one, get the £24.99 and you will be in profit.

it sounds like the CSC Analyst has really dropped Plusnet, and himself, in it stating this!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

briston
Aspiring Pro

It would seem that plusnet have been working on it since 10th April 2019.
@Baldrick1. You say the problem is with the wireless performance, that's a pretty fundamental part of the hub1. The other party of the hub1 is the modem section. Perhaps I should consider a mesh system if I was considering spending my own £ in solving my problem but can I be sure that even the modem section of the hub1 is ok. Seeing that a mesh would connect to the Gigabit Ethernet output of the hub1.
It also seems there is a problem that whilst the likes of Bob Bullen is working to try and find what the problem is, the people you talk to on the telephone are not aware of him or what is going on.
briston
Aspiring Pro

I see the moderator correctly removed the name of the CSC agent from my post. Just a thought, the same moderator asked who said these words of wisdom. I answered.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I was just curious whether it was a CSC or some other person.
Didn't really need the name. Be interesting to see if this an official line - but I doubt that very much.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@briston

Whoever advised you to get that TP-link router hasn't got a clue. It doesn't have a built in modem so would need an external modem to connect to the phone line for ADSL or FTTC

Looks like usual poor info from customer support.☹️

briston
Aspiring Pro

@divorak Official line or not, when I speak to someone from plusnet, it's the official line.
briston
Aspiring Pro

@RealAleMadrid and of course no 5GHz stream. Suggesting it was a way of getting rid of me on the phone.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

It sounds like a panic reaction from a supervisor after his agent had dropped Plusnet in the deep and smelly stuff. In doing so another can of worms has been opened, that is, will Plusnet give all customers having problems with a Hub One £24.99 to buy their own router?

I have no doubt that a Plusnet staffer will be along soon to give an official ‘clarification’ of the situation.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

briston
Aspiring Pro

@Baldick1 can't get much clearer than purchase the advised router and send in the receipt. If I wanted to purchase a more expensive device then they will pay up to the £24.99.
But look at other threads. When plusnet provide their fibre extra, which is what I have, then supply a hub1, it looks as if, for some and maybe many, it does not work.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Without a clearer statement of ‘it does not work’ it is difficult to assess the claims.

In the presence of both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands having the same SSID name the cause of the operational issue could well be the connecting device not the router. IDevices are known to be prone to flip-flop between the two bands, something which can be mitigated by giving the two SSIDs distinctive names.

I have experienced such issues and I do not use Plusnet Hubs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

briston
Aspiring Pro

But splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz streams solved the 5GHz problem so it seems, or maybe. However, until a change in firmware there may be evidence having the same SSID was not a problem. I am running a non standard firmware, supplied by plusnet and I have seen an improvement in the 5GHz stream but it does seem to be very variable signal strength wise, bit I can't accurately measure signal strength.
My 2.4MHz stream now sometimes slows to kbs, and subjectively seems to be getting worse, that is the frequency that this happens. It was last night when the final straw happened. A PS4 could not stream bt sport and that's when I looked at speeds and strength again.
So getting back to does not work.
I would say if a device I have is described as not for for purpose I say it does not work.