cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One with OpenWRT experiences

westcoaster
Grafter

Hub One with OpenWRT experiences

I'm considering getting a Hub One with OpenWRT on it for more functionality and flexibility, e.g. using OpenDNS. I'm tech savvy but no experience with linux commands.

I appreciate hearing about any experiences using OpenWRT before I go for it. Is it just as stable as a standard Hub One, stable internet connection, easy to upgrade the firmware, is all the extra functionality beneficial and what advantages have you gained?

Thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Hub One with OpenWRT experiences

@westcoaster wrote:

. Is it just as stable as a standard Hub One, 

Presumably you are not referring to WiFi performance?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

westcoaster
Grafter

I have a NetGear AP for wifi so that's not an issue. I'm primarily interested in stability of the hardware/firmware and connection, but also advantages in what the additional config options can offer.

archerry
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

We have been running OpenWRT on BTHH5 variants for several years on our ADSL2+ connection. They have been just as stable as the Asus DSL-AC68U we have set up on standby, and the TP-Link TD-W8980 before that.

The web pages are reasonably well laid out, or you may SSH in for the command line if you prefer.

Compared to the Plusnet Hub One:

• you can choose your own private IPv4 range;
  • Setting up static IP Addresses in the DHCP server is much easier.

I have separate secure guest interfaces on both wireless bands, and I am running the Adblock service.

Regards,

Alistair

westcoaster
Grafter

Thanks Alistair. I didn't know about the Adblock service. I'm hoping the adsl/wan interface settings are standard. If there are any particular settings, I appreciate and advice for that too.
archerry
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

OpenWRT has a comprehensive wiki. Unfortunately I do not seem to search it, or the forum using the correct terms to show what I think I want to do.

I been able to follow the instructions to install OpenWRT on a number of devices over the years, but I can do little else.

Alistair

westcoaster
Grafter

Thanks Alistair, I've got the basic settings and add long as I get it connected to adsl, I can spend time doing the advanced stuff.
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

As long as the router has enough flash space (8MB iirc) then it has a web interface, like most routers. And you can set up most things on the web interface, which is fairly easy. But if trying to do something unusal, you may have to use the command line, and then it gets a tad cryptic (like first time you try to exit the vi editor ...) Updates are usually fairly straight forward, but you may need to add any extras you done again (like 6in4 ipv6, or wpa3 on the wifi, etc)
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Refer to installation and setup guide:

https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=266 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Running-OpenWRT-on-the-Plusnet-Hub-One... 

Personally, I would not recommend using 'wifi' on any OpenWrt router such as HH5a.  The open source wifi drivers supplied free of charge by manufacturers like Qualcomm, leave a lot to be desired.  Recommend using a separate Wireless Access Point running OEM stock firmware for best performance and 'compatiblity' imho.

I had a Hub One running LEDE/Openwrt for 3.5 yrs as a WAP.  Witnessed issues infrequently particular with 2.4 GHz wifi.   5 GHz was okay but range was poor.   Not had a single wifi problem since replacing it with a Linksys EA6350 v3 AC1200 operating as a WAP for over a year now using stock firmware.   Existing modem router is another Hub One running LEDE 17 (wifi turned off) - approach 800 days hub uptime. Only time it previously went down was when there was a street wide power cut.

0lede790.jpg

Longest VDSL2 uptime is 280 days, achieved last year, before Openreach decided to carry out maintenance on their FTTC cab overnight.

Also have another OpenWrt 18.06.4 on former Hub One wired to a poor ADSL line at another location installed last summer.  Seems to maintain line sync most of the time - was 6mb due to microfilter fault last summer, now upto 10mb in recent weeks.   Wifi enabled on hub, there is a Linksys EA6350 v3 (stock firmware) wireless access point on another floor wired to it, because the hub doesn't have the range.

Not tried OpenWrt 19.07 on HH5a as a modem router, except as openvpn client routers (9mb throughput). Every major new release of OpenWrt seems to fix one problem but break another on HH5a.  Will wait for OpenWrt 20 release.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
westcoaster
Grafter

After experiencing the 5GHz problems with the firmware I decided to buy a NetGear AP, and wifi throughout the house was fixed instantly. I'll be making sure the wifi on the HubOne is disabled.

280 days uptime on VDSL?? That's an absolute fantasy for me. On recent occassions I was counting uptime in minutes.

I wonder what the record is...

westcoaster
Grafter

I bought a HubOne with OpenWrt pre-installed from eBay. After first configuration I swapped the broadband cable into it and it connected first time Smiley

I've *very* impressed with it, and I've started using OpenDNS as my client DNS servers and I 'm sure web pages are opening faster.

If it helps anyone, my config is:

Network menu > Interfaces > Interfaces tab > WAN > Edit > General Settings

- Protocol: PPPoE

- PAP/CHAP user name: <plusnetusername>@plus.net

- Service name: plus.net

Network menu > Interfaces > interfaces tab > WAN > Edit > Physical Settings

- Interface: click drop down, select custom and type in dsl0.101

Network menu > Interfaces > DSL tab

- Annex: Annex B (all)

- Tone: auto

- Encapsulation mode: PTM/EFM (Packet transfer mode)

- DSL line mode: VDSL

westcoaster
Grafter

One thing I want to ask... In https://forum.openwrt.org/t/plusnet-vdsl-config-settings/9994/2
moeller0 said  "Instantiate sqm on pppoe-wan, this makes sure PPPoE LCP packets are not dropped by the shaper"

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

See section 9.13 of Openwrt installation guide for HH5A regarding SQM.

https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=266 

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

For the plus.net ADSL WAN connection isn't it meant to be PPPoA (e.g. PPPoATM).

Oh learning about the openwrt interface, I find the best place to read is first the documentation on openwrt.org and then the forum. As much as anything this will give you what the underlying software can do, and what settings it can take, and their effect.

I find it worth (in your own time) finding how the openwrt software works, then you learn what you can set etc.

e.g. https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm-details 

westcoaster
Grafter

Better to go and read the manuals then 😁

Maybe I'm just being paranoid about making sure I get the most stable connection possible before Monday morning as I work at home full time.

Thanks for all the responses, very much appreciated.