Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One longer length power supply/extension cable

Jrfraser83
Dabbler

Re: Hub One longer length power supply/extension cable

@daveplus
The ethernet is not the problem have extra long adsl and cat6. Literally just power supply.
The one I found is 3.3mm internal dia. Might try that, but would be good to know from somewhere official what the proper spec is.
Pugh

I had the same problem. Despite a serious amount of searching on line I could not find an extension or even a single barrel plug to fit the power socket on the Hub One router. The usual sizes for this sort of device seems to be either a 5.5mm x 2.1mm or 5.5mm x 2.5mm. For some reason the Hub One ( and BT's hub 6) seem to use 5.5mm x 3.0(ish). Why use a non-standard plug? Are they trying to lock you into their products? - seems unlikely. Anyway I gave up and bought  a TP-Link Archer AC 1200. It works well and has a standard sized plug for which there are plenty of extensions available.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sorry if this has already been mentioned

You'll need:

The size and correct plug.
What voltes it takes.
What amps it needs.

I can't check ours at the moment otherwise I would have said.

Owain_2
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Also worth noting the BT Hub 5A and Plusnet Hub One use a different plug from the BT Hub 5B.

Jrfraser83
Dabbler

I found an appropriate adaptor from here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264369952956
After some back and forth they sorted me out with the correct connection! All working fine now.
ACCB
Dabbler

I've got the same problem. Engineer coming today to install, but I've only now opened the box to discover how short the cable is from the power supply.

Could you give a name or serial no. of the 'correct connection' so I can get one too?

TIA

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ACCB Do you not have a telephone line? You will only have an engineer visit if you have ordered a new phone line. All broadband provisions are self install.

ACCB
Dabbler

Off-topic.

But we've just moved from Virgin Media - thankfully - and the landline needs physical intervention, apparently.

Jrfraser83
Dabbler

@ACCB The ebay link i posted takes you the working long cable adapter i am currently using. This comes with various interchangeable end pieces of varying diameters. One of these fits into the Hub. - i had to go back and forth as the end pieces were missing from my delivery at first.

ACCB
Dabbler

Ah... OK.

Thanks.

Might not need it (depends whether I leave the router where the VM one was or move it... either way I need to drag a cable or two under the hall carpet).

But at least I know there's an option out there.

Last time I had this issue I was able to buy a male-female extension cable, but that was a standard size.