cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One connectivity gone into freefall? Is it just me?

FIXED
enrico94
Dabbler

Hub One connectivity gone into freefall? Is it just me?

Hi

I have had two firmware updates to my Hub One router thanks to @bobpullen on a separate thread regarding 5GHz network issues.  Today the Hub One seems to have gone into a tailspin and keeps dropping network connections on the 2.4 GHz network as well.

The symptoms are that devices (PC, phones, iPads) keep losing their wifi connection, then trying to reconnect and sometimes succeeding and sometimes staying offline.

Is it just mine, or is there a more widespread problem? 

I've tried all the usual things - rebooting the router, forgetting the network on the devices and then reconnecting.  Wired connections via ethernet cable are stable - it's just the wi-fi.

Plusnet Hub One  | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 | last updated 15/10/21.

Many thanks,

enrico94

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One connectivity gone into freefall? Is it just me?

Fix

Have you completely disabled the 5GHz radio?

I can see a whole bunch of associations/disassociations on 2.4GHz that correlates with what you're reporting. Hard to tell what's causing it though. 

Seven devices currently connected over 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and two of those with a very weak signal. Nothing on the 5GHz radio at all.

I'm inclined to suggest you go for another power off/power back on if things are still flakey. Odd that this would start after a sustained period of stability. Has anything at all changed on your network? New device for Christmas or anything like that?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

enrico94
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen - many thanks for replying.

Yes, 5GHz is completely disabled via Settings -> Advanced, and the 'aerial' warning light is showing on the front of the Hub One confirming that.

It does seem odd.  No new devices for Christmas (sadly), and I've been trying to think of something else that could have changed after that long period of stability. 

Christmas lights?  Unlikely, I'd have thought.

Wireless mouse and keyboard?  But those have been in use for several months with no ill effects.

We do live opposite a licenced radio ham - any possibility that he could have been blasting something into the ether?  Again, he's been living there for years and (as far as I know) not changed his transmitting gear recently.

Since posting on the forum, most of the problems have settled down to mainly affecting one Windows 11 laptop and a Linux machine.  The Linux box is now connected to the router via ethernet cable, since it's an obvious odd-one-out in the house, and its wireless card is very old.  The Win 11 laptop had its Windows Defender settings tinkered with yesterday evening to see if that improves things - we disabled random hardware address assignment.

I'll try another power-down/wait/power-up cycle again, as you advise.

Best regards,

enrico94

Soamesy
Hooked

Just wanted to add I've noticed in the last few days that my router has been acting up a bit.

Nothing new added in terms of devices, 5ghz seems more stable (Speeds are good 51 down, 18 up) and 2.4ghz download appears to have died completely (Less than a MB when running a speed test from around 3-5 metres away), upload seems fine.

Just for clarity I have DHCP and DNS managed elsewhere, the two radio bands split and I noticed that I am now running Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 | Last updated 15/12/21

I was previously running the previous 5ghz fix firmware (I think that was Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.1) which was great and I had no issues.

If you would like logs or anything let me know!

Thanks!

EDIT: Should of added I have rebooted, made sure no interference, etc. 

enrico94
Dabbler

Just to follow up on @bobpullen 's suggestion to try another power cycle.  That seems to have resolved the most recent issues, which were devices disconnecting and reconnecting (or failing to reconnect).  Many thanks for the good idea.

The wi-fi coverage is still poor, but that's a known problem with the Hub One.  I guess I need a Google mesh or similar to get good coverage across the house - which is not exactly a mansion!

enrico94