cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Router Wifi has poor signal

Bucs78

Hub One Router Wifi has poor signal

We have recently changed from TalkTalk to Plusnet Fibre Broadband, and notice that the Wifi Signal from the Hub One Router supplied is nowhere near as good as we had, so despite now having a faster speed, we cannot make use of it due to the Wifi signal strength.

We are in a 3 story town house, with the router on the middle floor in the living room at the back of the house. In my office on the middle floor at the front of the house while working from home my  laptop connection can slow down quite a bit and the streaming music on my phone will buffer quite often. My son is noticing a bit more lag on the xbox too.

Signal in the living room and the rooms immediately above and below are great.

I think that a tweak of the wifi settings would hopefully solve this, but to be honest I am a novice when it comes to this, so any help and/or advice would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Hub One Router Wifi has poor signal

@Bucs78  Welcome to the forum.

The simple truth is that the WiFi on a Hub One is not particularly good. Many of us get a BT Smarthub and use that instead. They are very cheap from auction sites. You will find a lot more information on this pinned to the top of this board.

Improved performance might be obtained if you split the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. See here for instructions on how to do this:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Having done this, if you go to your device available wireless networks setting then if your device is dual band you will see that you now have two wireless channels . The password is the same for both. Try each and use the best.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Bucs78 

As the router and your office are on the same floor have you considered Powerline adapters for the office?

They can have problems if used on separate floors (different power circuits so the signal has to go through the fuse box).

Brian

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 This man speaks the truth, dont bother tweaking nothing with hub one. Get bt6 from ebay and forget your problems.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Bucs78, I'm really sorry for the issues with your wireless signal and for the inconvenience this is causing.

We'd be happy to amend your routers settings remotely for you, splitting the 2.4 & 5GHz wireless? Please note, this will cause a brief drop in the wireless connection, just let us know if you're happy for us to do this for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team