Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Iandfisher
Rising Star

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

The PN issue was published recently in a computer magazine. PN's response to such coverage? Probably zero
Gunner276

I have just sent an email to Marc Allegra who I believe to be the CEO now. I believe this issue has been going on too long for customer service to be any help.

I will update if I get a response!
KT3

I have just seen that Plusnet have won Uswitch’s Broadband Provider of the Year (!!)  https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2021/02/look-inside-Uswitch-Broadband-Provider-of-the-Year-Pl... 

in the interview with Sam Calvert of Plusnet he alludes to a new router coming  :

“2021 is going to be a big year for Plusnet - we are continuing to simplify our product range so we can invest in developments to improve our reliability - such as a new wireless router, and the launch of full fibre (FTTP)...”

I wonder if @bobpullen could comment on when and whether existing customers will get this replacement. It might stem the flow of affected users looking at replacement providers

jesnes

I have this problem and have been told to ask here for a firmware update.  Please could you arrange one.

emilyh1

@bobpullen we have been having this problem since joining PN nearly a year ago and really need the firmware update. Can we arrange it to get it? Thanks.

spacepods
Dabbler

Have the 273 firmware now. Might have had it a while but hadn't rebooted until the weekend. Hooked up one device (Android Motorola) on 5 GHz and it's now been a week with barely any issues. I did see it was disconnected and "access point temporarily full" when trying to reconnect after about 24 hours in but it's behaved for about a week now.

This device reports a good wireless 58 Mbps on a 70 Mbps connection. Good enough. Not a bad range. Good enough for us.

Will bring other 5 GHz devices online one by one, monitor and report back.
Rosiejswilson

Please can I have the .273 firmware update. I have just checked and I’m on .263
5Ghz has been working perfectly until the past couple of weeks when it’s very intermittently available and only really works for about 10 mins after a router restart.
JezOwen
Hooked

I would encourage everyone who has this issue to completely bypass plusnet's technical and customer support and just message Bob Pullen for the 273 update.

Bob kindly pushed this through to my router and so far so good, although we are only 16 or so hours in and so I am a little cautious at this stage. However, I did have a second issue which appeared after installing a new router sent by plusnet to test if the issue was hardware related. My laptop no longer connected to the internet. It could see it, but said the router was not broadcasting a valid security certificate. The firmware has fixed this issue too.

I'm going to leave plusnet in May after many years because my experience of this and the poor service I have received from plusnet this time is not good enough. I stayed with plusnet because of the great customer service but something has gone badly wrong.

Bob has been massively helpful but he is the exception from my experience.

spacepods
Dabbler

I'm not convinced that the .273 FW fully resolves issues.

At first I added my Moto G7 and saw the "access point temporarily full" when I noticed I wasn't connected to the router. I think that this was about a day after reconnecting it on 5 GHz. No other devices were connected.

I hooked up an Amazon Fire Stick early this afternoon (so there are two devices now on 5 GHz) and I see have noticed the same issue on my Moto G7. A couple of attempts to reconnect and it's now OK.

It still appears that it's not 100% reliable.

PS, I never saw this with the Moto G7 with the Sky Q router I had before.

bigshineybike
Dabbler

This is the nice thing about rebooting. Each improvement I made looked good for almost a week.

Maybe  simple clock timer that switched off the router at 2 am every day would help enormously.

My BT HHB6 has been stable for 5 days now after a mains power cut rebooted it . Still early days to claim success but I can now stream movies on 5Ghz  in my office at the other end of the house!! Plus one used to struggle to make itself seen.

Wolfpeltz
Hooked

I totally agree @spacepods, the issue is still there below the surface. I got .273 in October. Fine for a month, then lost 5GHz again. I bought a gigaswitch and created a CAT6 LAN throughout the house. It was perfect for iPad, laptop, desktop, smart tv but Firestick, and 3x Alexas were stuck on wifi. In December, I phoned Customer Services and about my contract end date as I was thinking of moving on, and related the problems, and what I had done to improve the situation. The guy was technically savvy and most helpful. I received a credit on my account to facilitate the purchase of my own router, whether I bought one or not. My contract was up at the end of February, so I phoned to cancel, even though I had not bought a different router. I was offered a deal equivalent to SKY's, so I took it purely because of the attitude of Customer Services and the fact my LAN had solved most of the problems. I am now going to buy an RJ45 adapter for my Firestick and minimise the need for 5GHz. Many thanks @bobpullen.
b789pilot
Hooked

I recently had the 273 update pushed out to me and it has, at least for now, fixed the problem I was having with anything connecting to 5Ghz.

Try and contact Bob Pullen directly if you can or at least ask customer service to pass your request to him.

When the update is pushed to your router, you'll have to switch it off and back on to get it and to see the change.

brking

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem (started at the beginning of January).

1. Wifi intermittently freezes, drops out altogether or reports that the password is incorrect. When it does connect, internet access is sometimes unavilable.

2. Most of the time, my devices appear to be connected (except when it reports incorrect password). Router indicator is blue.

3. Network channels are merged.

4. Problem is persistent once it occurs (until router is rebooted). Wired connections work fine.

5. Cannot reproduce the problem on demand, it is purely random but will occur at least once a day.

6. Rebooting the router always fixes the problem. Sometimes it will be ok for 10 hours or so, sometimes 30 minutes.

7. Affects all devices (ipad, macbook, firestick, etc)

8. Problems seemed to start after installing Sky Q box. Have subsequently turned off wireless connection on Sky Q and connected with ethernet but problem is still present so guessing this was a coincidence.

9. I have my router plugged directly into the master socket. Most devices are connected through wifi (iphones, ipads, mackbook, pc, firestick. As mentioned earlier, I have connected my Sky Q box with ethernet using a TP-Link WPA4220 powerline adapter and also an Android TV in the back of the house using the same method, both of which work fine. My router software is version ....263.

Any help would be much appreciated.

djmj57

I'm a very impatient guy so have now bought a 2.4GHz/5GHz wireless router for £35.00, turned off the wireless on the Hub One and now effectively using it as an internet gateway only.

And wow I'm so glad I did!  The signal coverage is now ridiculous across all 3 floors in my house.  And the ability to control bandwith limits for the kids data sapping devices whilst we all try to work from home is now a godsend.

Sorry it doesn't help those who are going to stick with their Hub One, Hope everyone else get's the solution they're looking for.

With Plusnet it seems you get what you pay for. 

And that's not to belittle Plusnet - it's excellent INTERNET for the price - it just clearly doesn't extend to a decent wireless router.

bigshineybike
Dabbler

djmj57

Which router was that you bought?

That sounds a better plan than the second hand HH6.