Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
sp0oner73
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@bobpullen having left it a few weeks since you kindly updated my router to the latest version I wanted to update you on how it's been. For the first couple of weeks it was absolutely fine but now I am experiencing issues where my phone won't even see the 5ghz network unless I walk right up to the router and wait a bit then it connects. This is again after I have been out the house. At the moment i'm at on the sofa the router is only 15m away at most and my laptop can see it fine but the phone can't. The phone is a Samsung Note 9 and doesn't have issues anywhere else I go including connecting to other Plusnet Hub One routers. I also had issues with my desktop PC this week which never experienced any issues previously where it couldn't get internet once connected to the 5ghz network although the following day it seemed to resolve itself - I had rebooted the PC, forced dhcp release and renew etc but at the time it just couldn't get an ip from the router. I checked the dhcp table to clear any stuck leases for the PC but there wasn't any listings for it looking at the mac addresses. If I selected the 2.4ghz wifi it connected fine.

So at the moment the original issue is gone but I now have the new issue of not seeing the 5ghz network on my phone unless I walk right up to the router. Previously this didn't happen so I still have issues with how unreliable these Hub Ones are and something i've complained about numerous times when logging calls in the 10+ years i've been a customer/since the Hub One came out. I must be on my 5th one at a guess. I'm reluctant to move to  BT Home Hub, one because I shouldn't have to pay out for another router and secondly it will be 2nd hand and have no idea what issues that may have had plus all the reconfiguring that would need to be done.

The wifi range/speed is pretty appalling as well and completely useless for any streaming/download services and I always have to use a wired connection using ethernet over powerline adapters that are on the same ring in the house that the router is plugged into. If I download on the xbox one via wifi it downloads at 8-10mbps whereas if I use the ethernet it's 76mbps and the xbox is only 10m from the router. It's no better between 2.4 or 5ghz wifi.

Paul_A
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

Could I request the new firmware please? My router stopped handing out IP addresses on 5ghz wifi, so I can connect to the wireless but have no internet access.  If I set a static address/DNS I can use the connection.

Issue is persisitent. I have 5 and 2.4 split. Merging/separating them again has no effect. Rebooting the router has no effect.

Turning DHCP off/on has no effect. Using external DHCP (raspbery pi) has no effect. 

It affects all devices - iPad, iPhone, NowTV stick. None of the devices have received an update that would cause this.

Network setup: The router has a raspberry pi and powerline adpater connected via ethernet. A powerline adpapter elsewhere has a console connected to it, and another powerline adpater has a 3 port switch built in with a PC and NAS connected.

Thanks in advance. If ou need any other details, or can't provide the update, no worries. 

Kind regards,

Paul.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@sp0oner73 - remind me. Do you have the two Wi-Fi radios/SSID's separate, or named the same?

15 metres can still be a stretch given the capability of the router, depending of course on what walls/obstructions etc. there are between the router and device. One connected device's Wi-Fi capability isn't necessarily the same as another so a direct comparison between laptop and phone isn't always fair. Noted that you can connect to other Hub Ones though using the Note 9.

It would be interesting if you could download a Wi-Fi scanning tool like WiFiman which would allow you to actually check the presence/dB strength of the signal from the router.

Your experience definitely differs to mine in terms of streaming etc. In a 1500ft(2) house, I can get suitable coverage everywhere where streaming is required. 8-10mbps is typically more than sufficient.

This said - and in particular in response to your comments about the XBox - I'll push another update to your device in case this is playing a part.

Once again, you'll need to reboot to apply it.

The Hub One hasn't quite been around 10+ years BTW Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Paul_A - that's been done. You'll need to reboot at your side.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Tags (1)
Paul_A
Hooked

Wow, thanks @bobpullen , that was quick! I hope you get a break from here at some point!

I've rebooted and all is well. Do you need anything from me in terms of reporting back?

Kind regards,

Paul.

sp0oner73
Dabbler

@bobpullen thanks Bob. I'm using separate SSID's for the 2 networks so I could easily keep tabs what was connected to what.

When I say 15m that is probably over what it actually is and before the update I had stronger wifi signal on the phone than on my laptop. Again i've stood next to the router and the phone connected and then sat back on the sofa and the connection remains fine.

I have a network scanner so I will run that and confirm back what I get.

OK that's strange on the streaming as i've never been able to stream BT SPort or Sky Sports on the xbox over wifi without it continually breaking up and that's without anything else using the wifi at the time. It would be great to use wifi and ditch the cable if I could get it to reliably work! And thanks i'll have a read of that link...

I know and I worded it wrong, I meant i've been a long time customer and so had the hub one ever since it came out as always upgraded to the fastest and unlimited service available as I work from home so rely on the best connection possible.

SeanB
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

Could you also push the firmware update to my router please.

issues started last week, iPhone, iPads & HomePod dropping from WiFi. At first I would reboot the router which provided a temporary fix, however when checking the HubOne configuration & settings I noted that only devices connected to the 2.4 band were still operating and there were no connections to the 5GHz. Once disconnected a password prompt is given when trying to reconnect and subsequently not working.

I have a SkyQ box connected by Ethernet and skyQ mini wirelessly connected to that.

i have a Philips Hue bridge connected to Ethernet and the various devices wirelessly to that.

I have a Ring doorbell and camera connected wirelessly, the latter is connected to a WiFi extender.

Hopefully the fire are update can resolve the issue.

BPF14

Hi @bobpullen a please can you push down the update to me. Appear to be having the same issues as other people in the feed.

sp0oner73
Dabbler

@bobpullen just to let you know i've tried the xbox tonight on wifi and downloading is much improved! It's averaging between 20-40mbs with going as high as 72mbps and as low as 2mbps. Previously it never showed more than 10 or 11mbps. Also when coming home tonight my phone has immediately connected to the 5ghz wifi without issue. Again i'll leave it a couple of weeks as that seems to be a good benchmark to see if by week 3 everything is still working/stable. I will also try streaming sport over wifi to see if that is improved.

Thank you for the help as that is a big improvement.

MarcusC

@bobpullen I only rebooted the router last Saturday but I have now been a whole week without any loss of connection to 5 GHz. I have left the router on default settings and I have noticed devices sometimes on 2.4 and sometimes on 5 but switching seamlessly. There has been no repeat of devices being knocked off 5 GHz and not being able to reconnect.

I am running 287. 

Many thanks

tosrn
Hooked

Hello all,

after trying to solve my 5Ghz issues with the BT router for a few months, I'm back to the PlusNet Hub One as I'm experiencing a lot of disconnections with the BT router...

If possible and given the latest positive feedback, @bobpullen I'd be happy to experiment with the new firmware that MarcusC is using above. I'll provide feedback here if useful Smiley

Wolfpeltz
Hooked

@bobpullen In desperation, I found this thread, for which I am most grateful. Some of it is a little above my head, but explanations seem to fit the scenarios.

I reported slow speed/disconnections over 2 months ago, using the BT speed test. It was below what was offered, but Plusnet said it was OK, and I did verify their findings by using another product. Sorry, irrelevant to this thread, but just to show how I got here.

The symptoms were leading to a wi-fi problem, as the main desktop had a wired connection, with no problems. Laptops, phones and tablet were all dropping connection frequently. I followed the help video and used auto searching in the router to set the channels (2.4 and 5GHz). No better. Last week Amazon Firestick started dropping out and I had to reboot the router to reconnect. 2 days later, my tv and Alexa started dropping out. Reconnecting the routine by WPS needed for tv, but Alexa self-booted. Phones now show 'authentication error' up to 10x daily. Laptops have to be reconnected. 3 days ago, I manually changed the channels. 2.4GHz to 1 and 5Ghz to the lowest available, which I think was 33, as a warning came up not to use the top end. Amazon and tv have been ok since, fingers crossed, but the other devices are no better. I am now getting to the end of my capabilities.

This thread has been going nearly 12 months, and I am now wondering what the future holds. I have a Sagecom Plusnet Hub One which is only 18 months old. Do I need to buy another?

mugmes

I've been using version .287 of the router firmware for over 2 weeks. The 5Ghz channel has been active the whole time with devices connecting to it. I have had no wifi drop outs or disconnections during that time. 

Overall very positive feedback from me on version .287 of the firmware, its has cured all the problems I was having with the 5Ghz wifi. 

bstaker

@bobpullen thank you. It has been a week since you've updated my router's firmware. 5Ghz seems to be working ok now.

Could be a combination of the firmware update as well as my smart plug turning off / on the router daily.

chronicfc

Hi, these issues are driving me mad! Please can I have the new firmware?