Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Bogshed
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Many thanks for the update last week Bob.

Nothing but good news to report back:

• No issues with broadband speeds - same as before 70Mbps and 18Mbps.
  • Port forwarding working fine.
  • All 2GHz and Ethernet connected devices working well - again, same as before.
  • 5GHz used to update 2 Win10 laptops to 20H2 with no issues and 1wk use with a Pixel 4a has also revealed no issues.

So far so good and if anything changes, I'll report back.

Thanks again.

stevekelly74
Hooked

@bobpullen Many thanks for pushing the update to my router, much appreciated. I can confirm that my router is now running version .273.

To report findings, in case it's useful to anyone :

1. My router is in an upstairs bedroom in my 3 bedroom property of average size. Previously on router version .263 the devices upstairs on the same floor as the router would generally stay connected to the 5ghz network, but as soon as the device was moved downstairs (usually a laptop or smartphone) it would drop off the 5ghz and onto the 2.4ghz network, and then generally perform very poorly with extremely slow and almost unusable wifi. This was with both 2.4 and 5ghz networks tied to a single SSID. I tried splitting the networks into two separate SSID's, but then the 5ghz SSID would just keep randomly disappearing and reappearing again, and even the devices upstairs which were previously stable would keep disconnecting from the 5ghz network.

2. Now on router version .273 with the 2.4 and 5ghz networks joined as a single SSID, I once again get stable connection to 5ghz upstairs (same floor as the router), but as soon as a device is moved downstairs it still falls back onto the 2.4ghz network, but this time the connection to 2.4ghz is ok speed wise and is usable. Problem with this is when I move those devices back upstairs they're staying stuck to the 2.4ghz network and not switching back to the faster 5ghz network. The only way to achieve this is so forget the network on the device and re-join, and then it joins the 5ghz network again, but this is a total pain and not something I want to keep on having to do.

3. The answer it seems, and it's been so far so good with this configuration, is to split the networks into a separate SSID again. With this setup my devices upstairs stay connected to the 5ghz SSID, and also stay connected downstairs, albeit with a slight drop in network speed as the distance from the router is increased, but it's more than acceptable and very usable. The 5ghz network is no longer disappearing and reappearing again like it was on the old router version when I split the networks into separate SSID's, so that appears to be something that's definitely been addressed with the new router firmware.

As I say it's so far so good with this configuration for me, and has basically rectified the issues I was experiencing. I haven't tested the 2.4ghz SSID yet but if I notice any issues with it I'll report back, or likewise will report back if anything changes with the 5ghz.

Thanks for the assistance.

Steve

rayhamilton

Hi Bob

Sorry for the late reply. I had noticed that I have not had to reset for nearly two weeks now, so it looks like this problem has been resolved.  I have noticed a considerably slower reported speed at times, but this may be getting better and may be a separate issue.  

Thanks for the help and I can confirm that the software version ends .287.

Regards

Ray

mjb99

Hi @bobpullen 

Please could you push the update to me. i have been having this problem with the 5ghz dropping out since joining plusnet over a 18 months ago. i have to reboot the router daily. i'm on version  4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

Thanks in advance 

Clayfish

Hi @bobpullen 

My router has been exhibiting the same symptoms as the other in this thread since last week, but additionally it has also been dropping all connections and going all orange light on me, sometimes several times a day, will release 273 help with this?

Line checker speeds are only coming in at 7Mbps as well, can this be partially due to the router resetting several times a day or should I call customer services for a line check?

I really need it working properly as it's affecting my ability to work from home.

Cheers

Clayton

snozski
Grafter

Hi 

Is it possible to push this update to my router too please ? My girlfriends wifi just stops working randomly with no throughput and only fix is to reset the router everytime, its super annoying if she streaming or whatever.    

Thanks !

churchfield69

Hi @bobpullen.

Can I request the updated router config please.

Having the same problem as many others, 5ghz stops working but 2.4ghz is rock solid. Connected but no internet.

A reboot fixes the the problem for a short while, less than 24 hours before it stops again. I am unable to trigger the cause, it appears to be random.

Many thanks.

ben2030

Hi @bobpullen, please can you push the update to my router as well. I've had to keep 5GHz disabled on firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 due to dropouts when it's enabled.Thanks!

SIMon-TV
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

I am also having wifi drops with my Plusnet Hub One router running firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, and would appreciate you pushing the software update to me. I'm not sure how you will go about this as afaik my plusnet account isn't linked to this forum account, but I'm sure you'll have your ways!

1) Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Wifi is especially weak on some devices, whilst fairly strong on others. Weak = iPad; Motorola smartphones; Alexa (occasionally). Strong = OnePlus smartphone. Last night the wifi dropped completely but was back again when we woke.

2) Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

The devices to show as connected. The Hub indicator is blue. During the complete drop last night, the indicator remained blue.

3) Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

I split the channels about 4 weeks ago after reading this thread. After the split it was impossible to connect to 5ghz so i disabled it through the Hub manager. So our only option is the 2.4ghz channel, and i suspect this has been the case from the start.

4) Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Yes, persistent wifi weakness and occasional drops - some longer than others. We have wired connections that remain stable.

5) Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

Not that I have noticed.

6) Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

No, not always. We tend to have to wait out the drops until the router decides to play ball again. Permanent wifi weakness remains a thing though and with it comes a more & more irritable wife, so please help!

7) If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

See 1). Unaware of what Motorola phones they are. OnePlus One & OnePlus 7T seem to keep a strong wifi connection.

Cool Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No.

9) Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

2 ethernet connections ( 1 x LG smart tv; 1 x Powerline adapters). up to ~15 devices connected to wifi.

Kind regards,
Simon.

rarun053

Hi @bobpullen 

I am also having wifi drops and poor connections with 5GHz band width. I am on firmware Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 26/03/19. 

It would be great if you could push the latest firmware to my hub please?

I have been using this router for few years now. 

Many Thanks

Arun

yunkauho
Fixes: 1

Brief description of the problem, and how it masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

No issues on 2GHz. 5GHz devices (seemingly) randomly stay connected but are unable to access the internet “Connected, No internet”. At least once a day, sometimes 2 or 3 times per day.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

Yes, they appear to be connected (“Connected, no internet”). Hub remains blue.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

I believe they are merged, I haven’t messed with any of the router settings.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Yes, persistent. Ethernet connected device works fine. 2.4GHz works fine

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

No, but I’ve not kept a log of when it happens or what the devices are doing at the time.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Mostly but not always, sometimes multiple resets are needed before the devices are able to access the internet.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

Samasung Note 10 Lite. Windows 10 PC.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

Not as far as I know.

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Hub One. Xbox One via Ethernet. Samsung & PC via 5GHz. LG Q6 via 2.4GHz.

Craigo98

Hi @bobpullen

Could you please push the updated firmware to my router.

I have been experiencing painfully slow 5ghz speeds on a Surface Pro 6 after resuming from hibernation/sleep for months. Problem goes away for a day or so if I restart router, but always comes back. Also affects 2 Huawei top end Android phones.

Thank you

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@C_Small @rivazza @Harryforman @robfryer @pcr1304 @mjb99 @snozski @churchfield69 @ben2030 & @SIMon-TV - I've pushed an update to all of your devices. You'll need to reboot your respective routers in order to apply it.

Hope it helps. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@rarun053 & @yunkauho - you too. Give things a reboot at your side.

@marcyd wrote:
Hi Bob can you please push the update to me as I have had the 5ghz problem for over a year.

I can't see a router associated with your account so you'll need to drop me a private message containing your account username and router serial number.

@scottw wrote:

Today, the 2.4GHz WiFi connection was repeatedly refusing connections, although 5GHz was still working fairly well ... Turning off both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi solved the ping problem, and after turning both back on, devices connect to both, everything working fairly normally again.

Appreciate the feedback Scott. Keep an eye on this 2.4GHz issue. I've seen similar in the past whilst testing, but at the moment, I'm the only person I know to have triggered it. Let me know if it happens again.

@stevekelly74 wrote:

Now on router version .273 with the 2.4 and 5ghz networks joined as a single SSID, I once again get stable connection to 5ghz upstairs (same floor as the router), but as soon as a device is moved downstairs it still falls back onto the 2.4ghz network, but this time the connection to 2.4ghz is ok speed wise and is usable. Problem with this is when I move those devices back upstairs they're staying stuck to the 2.4ghz network and not switching back to the faster 5ghz network. The only way to achieve this is so forget the network on the device and re-join, and then it joins the 5ghz network again, but this is a total pain and not something I want to keep on having to do.

Having your devices drop to the 2.4GHz radio is entirely expected. 2.4GHz operates over a wider range, where 5GHz will struggle. When you move closer to the router again, whether or not you move across to the 5GHz radio is very much dependent on the device behaviour. The Hub One does not support band steering and will not force devices back across to 5GHz. You would probably find if left long enough, that most of your devices would move across on their own accord.

@Clayfish wrote:

My router has been exhibiting the same symptoms as the other in this thread since last week, but additionally it has also been dropping all connections and going all orange light on me, sometimes several times a day, will release 273 help with this?

Line checker speeds are only coming in at 7Mbps as well, can this be partially due to the router resetting several times a day or should I call customer services for a line check?

Sorry to hear. I've pushed an update to your router (you'll need to reboot to apply it), however something else is happening here by the sounds of things. The Orange light suggests the Internet connection itself is being interrupted. If you haven't already, it would be worth you opening a fault ticket - http://faults.plus.net

@Craigo98 wrote:

Hi @bobpullen

I have been experiencing painfully slow 5ghz speeds on a Surface Pro 6 after resuming from hibernation/sleep for months. Problem goes away for a day or so if I restart router, but always comes back. Also affects 2 Huawei top end Android phones.

This is not the problem being described in this thread. It sounds more like a product of this.

I have pushed a slightly different update to your router (you'll need to reboot), but anybody else experiencing this particular issue is better commenting over here

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SeanB
Hooked

Hi Bob,

Could you also push the firmware update to my router please.

issues started last week, iPhone, iPads & HomePod dropping from WiFi. At first I would reboot the router which provided a temporary fix, however when checking the HubOne configuration & settings I noted that only devices connected to the 2.4 band were still operating and there were no connections to the 5GHz. Once disconnected a password prompt is given when trying to reconnect and subsequently not working.

I have a SkyQ box connected by Ethernet and skyQ mini wirelessly connected to that.

i have a Philips Hue bridge connected to Ethernet and the various devices wirelessly to that.

I have a Ring doorbell and camera connected wirelessly, the latter is connected to a WiFi extender.

Hopefully the fire are update can resolve the issue.

Tags (1)