cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
ElementalDave

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi. I've had this issue with only my work laptop. It is a Lenovo A285 with the latest WiFi drivers. For some reason, Microsoft Teams video calls causes the no internet problem. It looks like the routers DHCP is broken on 5Ghz as it goes from 192.168.1.x to 169.254.193.154. This is fixed by disconnecting the WiFi and then reconnecting and it finds something in the 192.x range. I'm not sure why it only affects the one device unless there is a hardcoded security policy that affects things?
globey
Hooked

Well I can only think I have a different issue to everyone else because mine isn't fixed.

I rebooted on Monday after being sent the firmware update and I've just had to turn off 5GHz again as I've got all the same issues on my phone - WhatsApp messages sat pending, Facebook connection dropping (saying "no internet"), and the BBC Sport app just dropped half way through a video. I've had none of these issues in the time I turned off 5GHz.

I can confirm that I have 4.7.5.1.83.8.273

I've tried forgetting the network on my phone and reconnecting but still have the same problem. Not sure what to do now?
MagNeto
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen ,

I'm glad you're back on the forum.

Sorry for my long silence, I was delayed in installing the new router and then I was trying to make sense of what was going on (see below): with the new router still on 263, I have split the two frequencies and set the lease at 21 days.

So far, the 5GHz connection problem seems to have disappeared.

However, my wife's laptop, on 2.4GHz, does loose wifi almost every day around 6 pm (I know!). I am not convinced this is a router problem, as once I was on my laptop on the 5GHz when that happened and I kept my wifi signal going fine, and my phone (on 2.4GHz) seemed also fine, but I only checked it a few minutes later, so it could have come back. Is there a way of checking/setting up a log on the router to record the connections to the wifi bands and to the internet? This will help me decide where to investigate.

Also, since the new router has been installed, I am unable to connect an iPad to the wifi (any band). I have seen somewhere that people have experienced this as well but I can't find it again on the forum: if there a procedure linked to the iPad or to the router, could you give me a procedure or point to a link for me?

Thanks again for helping us all!

allanlewis

Hi @bobpullen - what's the plan here, beyond pushing the .273 firmware to whoever asks? Is an official fix for this issue in the pipeline? If so, what's the timescale for that? If you could give us all some insight into discussions at Plusnet Towers about this issue, that works be very much appreciated.

If not, will you buy my router back from me so I can put the money towards a better one? I'm happy configuring a 3rd party router myself.
NeilDennis

@bobpullen - Please push the .273 firmware to my router!

I don't know if you have access to my details or know who I am....

funn3r
Hooked

It's got so I have to reboot at least once a day now. Also takes a long time to come back online don't know if this is normal or my rural ADSL. Anyway if v273 firmware improves it please provision it for me.

SAABDude
Grafter

Hi @bobpullen 

I seem to have this issue too.

New Hub One received yesterday (previous one went squiffy following a power cut - intermittent connection to hub / and / or internet via wifi connections - 2G and 5G - no clear pattern / reason so hub replaced VERY QUICKLY - THANKS.

However after setting up, new Hub One seems to have this specific 5G wifi issue.

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ00278697
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One

Response to questions list:

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?  - Devices seem to connect to the hub via 5G ok but can't get through to internet.  Ethernet devices seem ok. 2G wifi seem ok.  Devices include NowTV boxes, NowTV stick, Samsung TV, Panasonic TV, Samsung Android (9) smartphone, Win10 laptop.  Several wired devices (Win10) also connected via a Netgear switch into a TPLink wifi extender - which connects to router via 2G wifi (this set up is working ok).
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? - Hub status is blue throughout - no outward indication of issues.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? - 2G and 5G are split - separate SSIDs but same Password.  Have tried swapping channels (manual) and auto channel - no difference.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? - Once problem hits it is persistent.  Some devices may not initially see it but if you try to reconnect on 5G it hits.  Moving to 2G is then only option (slower obviously).  Not using directly wired devices much but doesn't seem to affect.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] - Not sure. Seemed to be random to be honest.  Happened about 1 hr after installing new Hub One.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? - A restart (from the web utility) did not "resolve".  A hard switch off at the device (and wait for 30 secs) did seem to help for a few mins and then problem re-occurred.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.  - seems to affect all devices (as per lists above) - anything using the 5G connection.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? - no - all was working on on the old Hub One (until power cut as mentioned) - then 5G issue appeared along with replacement Hub One.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points - Hub One is plugged into BT Master socket (all house internal phone wiring is currently disconnected).  One device plugged into ethernet (Envoy Solar panel hub), TPLink wifi extender (2G only) provides link upstairs (wifi) then routes into a NetGear 4 way switch with ethernet connected Win10 PCs (x2), laptops (x2).  3 x smart TVs (Panasonic, Samsung, Matsui) connected via 5G wifi (has been ok up until new hub one).  2 x Now TV 4K boxes connected via 5G wifi (has been ok up until new hub one). 1 x NowTV stick connected via 5G wifi (has been ok up until new hub one)..  Android (v9) smartphones x 3 connecting via 2G and / or 5G - issues with 5G as above now.

Hope that helps.

I've also contacted Plusnet helpdesk who have asked me to try Channel 44 on 5G and see if that works (was advised that it "can take up to 4 hrs to sync").  So will try that and report back.

Any other help would be appreciated.

Regards

Nigel

Starchaser75

Hello, I don't know if this is any help, but we had the update and still had the same problems, so we installed a mesh system using the plusnet hub as a modem, and its all working brilliantly now here. Just in case anyone wants a costly but easy solution. 

Sannd908x
Hooked

Hi. What mesh system did you install? Possibly looking to do the same myself so would be useful to look at the details of one that works well with the PN hub.

Thanks
briston
Aspiring Pro

@Starchaser75 I also went in the direction of using the hub1 as, or at least as I thought, as a modem by turning off the WiFi and then purchasing Deco M5 mesh disks. However it was pointed out that unless I configured the mesh as access point rather than router I was double NATing. The problem is you cannot configure the hub1 as a modem in bridge mode. However all my problems went.

Being an ex electronics engineer, once the technical shortcoming was pointed out, even though it might not affect me, it went against the grain so I then purchased a second hand modem. It was an ex BT one.

Yes the hub1 has been removed from my setup entirely.

All now great. No dropout of WiFi. No middle of the night reboots. No throughput problems.

Why pay for internet access and then cannot use it. Yes it cost me money but I am no longer pulling out my hair over things not working. Not that I have a lot of hair to pull out.
rshill1973
Dabbler

Hi, as per advice from Anoush on another support team (he is dealing with a separate issue with our broadband), he suggested posting the following on this thread. We're having an issue with our 5GHz channel. Anoush has raised the issue with regards to a firmware update.

In the meantime, I hope the below provides some additional context. Thanks.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Following a separate issue regarding connection, Anoush created a 5GHz channel for our router. Since this was created we have experienced the 3 fault symptoms listed in your post. In particular our iPhones have trouble maintaining connection with the router on the 5GHz channel. The connection will also drop off depending on whereabouts one is in the house.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Hub status is blue when issue occurs
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Channels are split. Other devices in the house, i.e. iPad, laptops, Chromecast and Amazon Dot are connected to the 2.4GHz. Issue doesn’t seem to affect the 2.4GHz channel.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Yes it’s persistent. Re-connection to the channel sporadic but seems to depend on physical distance from router, e.g. always re-connects in the living room (close), has trouble reconnecting in the upstairs room furthest from the router.
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No, sorry
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Problem currently not resolved by rebooting the hub. Issue recurs immediately.
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    As per above. iPhones affected are iPhone SE and iPhone 6 (on OS 12.4.8). Laptops unaffected are a MacBook Air (on Catalina 10.15.5) and a HP laptop.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    Not that we’re aware of, no.
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

All devices currently in use. 2.4GHz channel – iPad2, MacBook Air, HP laptop, Chromecast, Amazon Dot, Skybox, HP Envy printer. 5GHz channel – iPhone SE, iPhone 6. No additional switches in use. Router is plugged into the master socket, no microfilter.

khaddon2

Hello,

I am also having the same hub one 5GHz issues. I am on firmware 8.263 please can you push out the updated firmware to my device. I'm guessing you'll need some info from me about my router? 

thanks

Keith

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Beardo @NeilDennis @funn3r & @khaddon2 - an update has been sent to your devices, you'll need to reboot to apply it.

@ElementalDave that sounds like a different issue if there's a specific trigger and you can temporarily resolve the problem by toggling Wi-Fi off/back on.

@rshill1973 if the issue is not resolved with a reboot then, again, it sounds like a different problem. The 5GHz network does not reach as far as 2.4GHz by definition, so maybe you are on the limit of what it's capable of when upstairs?

@globey I suspected something else was at play in your case, I mentioned as much after applying the update. Likewise, it could be a question of capability if your devices aren't getting a great signal. You could try naming the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks differently which would give you the flexibility of choosing which devices connect to which radio?

@MagNeto no known issues I'm aware of that would permanently prevent an iPad from connecting; even after a reboot. I can only see one router associated with your account at this side though, and it's offline so not much I can do.

@SAABDude your router looks to be offline too?

@allanlewis wrote:
Hi @bobpullen - what's the plan here, beyond pushing the .273 firmware to whoever asks? Is an official fix for this issue in the pipeline? If so, what's the timescale for that? If you could give us all some insight into discussions at Plusnet Towers about this issue, that works be very much appreciated.

I think I've mentioned in posts elsewhere that the plan is not to push this build to the masses. I'm not in a position to go into the detail, but it's a regression of sorts and only really intended as a mitigation. The plan is to wrap a 'proper' fix into a maintenance release, along with fixes (that we already have) for some of the other current annoyances. I don't have an ETA though because this 5GHz issue continues to prove extremely difficult to diagnose/address. We're actively progressing a number of options though. It's just taking time. Sorry.

If not, will you buy my router back from me so I can put the money towards a better one? I'm happy configuring a 3rd party router myself.

I think you know the answer to this 😉

Are you experiencing problems again then? I thought things were now OK Huh

On a closing note: reminder that before posting on this thread, it's wise that people read through the original post and actually establish that they're suffering from the symptoms listed there before requesting updates. There are also a bunch of questions that I'd appreciate the answers to (no need to post these if I've already applied an update to you).

If you have a different problem, then it's best to start a new thread.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SAABDude
Grafter

Hi @bobpullen
Thanks for the reply.
My replacement Hub One has been online ok since yesterday (and is still on line ok now). It went off / on a few times last night (up until about 01:00 this morning) as I rebooted the router a few times whilst testing. Other than that I'm not aware of it going off line at all.
Interestingly, I applied channel 44 on 5G, as suggested by the PN helpdesk, this morning. I did not reboot the router as part of that process. Then I left it until this evening (as it was suggested it would take a few hours to apply - not sure why?). Then about 5pm today I reset all the devices I wanted on 5G back onto 5G (had moved them to 2G to get them working) and, fingers crossed, they have all stayed on 5G ok. Not sure how long it will last but so far so good. Will keep an eye on it. Devices moved to 5G are the smart TVs and NowTV streaming boxes / sticks.
The PN helpdesk chap didn't think the issue had anything to do with firmware.
I'll keep an eye on it and report back with status / changes.
No issues with 2G during this period either - continues to be ok.
Cheers.
NeilDennis

Thanks @bobpullen...

I have rebooted twice, but no sign of the update. Version still displays as . 263

Can you help?