Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
sullys666
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

It appears my 5gHz is experiencing issues as well.  Samsung TV has disappeared again from it.  Assume I will have to mess about reconnecting for the Smart TV part to work again.  This is abysmal.

paul_edwin
Grafter

[I've been experiencing this issue for some time, seemingly more frequently with working from home, but only just thought to do a search to see if it's a known problem. And as if by magic, here's a thread describing the exact problem I've been seeing; how often does that happen?]

I'd like to request the "updated" firmware be pushed to my router, please.

I've just set the DHCP lease to 21 days as suggested, and will reboot the router once I finish work this afternoon, then see how long it takes before it happens again.

In the meantime, here's the details of what I've been experiencing:

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    I usually notice that the internet connection over the 5GHz wifi gets slower and slower, eventually reaching the point where DNS requests time out. It seems to happen once or twice a week. I'm not sure how long it's been a problem, but I've only really started noticing it since working from home before the lockdown started.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    The devices appear to be connected to the hub, but lose connectivity. Some (e.g. Android device) will switch over to the 2.4GHz network automatically as the loss of internet connection is detected. Some that know about the 2.4GHz network (MacBook Pro) will stubbornly remain connected to the almost-useless 5GHz network, and can't even open the router's webpage.
    The hub status indicator is always the normal blue when the problem occurs.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    The networks are named differently. The problem only affects the 5GHz network.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    The problem appears to be persistent once it occurs, as far as my patience allows. All wired devices are unaffected.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    I cannot reproduce the problem reliably.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    The problem has always been resolved by rebooting the hub. It usually recurs within about a week, but is unpredictable.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    All devices connected to the 5GHz network are impacted, including the following:
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018), macOS Catalina 10.15.5
    Google Pixel 2 XL, Android 10
    Amazon Echo Dot (2nd generation)

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    Not that I'm aware of

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    MacBook Pro
    MacBook Air
    Lenovo laptop
    Android devices (4?)
    Raspberry Pi (2)
    Synology DS212j
    Amazon Echo Dot
    Amazon Echo Show
    D-Link Powerline adapters
    Netgear GS105Ev2 switch
tepeacock

Hi @bobpullen ,

Would it be possible to upgrade my router from .263 to .273 please?

Many thanks,

Terry

zena
Dabbler

have been having these issues. at point 4 though i was told to select no for sync with 2.4ghz

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@sullys666 @allanlewis @mallow1 @Andloughlin @paul_edwin @tepeacock & @zena - An update has been pushed to all of your routers that should hopefully help. You'll need to power off/back-on to apply it. It will take your firmware version to .273.

@Star123 wrote:

@bobpullen Would it be possible to have the latest firmware pushed to my router? I'm experiencing similar issues with the 5GHz band and currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 (Last updated 23/10/16).

Couple of things here.

1. You are on a very old firmware version which suggests that your router has lost connection with the management platform. Neither can I see a router associated with your broadband account. I can fix this, but you'll need to private message me your account username along with the serial number and mac address of your hub. Note that once I've corrected things, you'll also need to factory reset.

2. The firmware version you are currently running is not known to be affected by this 5GHz Wi-Fi issue. It is susceptible to other bugs though which have since been fixed. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mallow1

@bobpullen Thank you for the update to 273.  I have reset wireless settings to their default, and all OK so far (about 10mins!)

Thank you very much indeed.  I will of course keep an eye in it and let you know how it goes. 

Not sure how to formally thank you on the forum, but take this as a thanks from me!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@MagNeto wrote:

I'm a bit confused when you say that you have had a lot of success rolling back firmware to the 'last known good': I thought my router was on 263 and you pushed 273 on it. Am I missing a step? Was the beginning of the troubles a newer firmware roll-out?

This particular 5GHz issue seems to have started with firmware ending .259. The build you have (.273) reverts a lot of the Wi-Fi elements to the state they were in before the advent of .259 (whilst retaining some of the newer stuff).

So if you wouldn't mind sending me a new router, I would appreciate it. 

Will be in tomorrow's post. Can't guarantee it will help with the noise but it might. Let me know when it turns up and I'll re-flash the .273 firmware.

@westcoaster wrote:

After the .273 firmware deployment on 1st May, devices can connect no problem to the 5GHz radio but throughput has decreased a bit - 20mbps compared the 60mbps on the 2.4GHz radio.

You'll probably find that returns to normal following a reboot. Separate issue being discussed over here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

simoncrnfrth
Dabbler

@bobpullen
Further update Bob, still haven't had any issues with .280 TV is still connected to the router via WiFi and I'm regularly watching 4k Dolby Vision on Netflix without any issues on 5Ghz.

Could it be plausable the reason I had issues with .281 firmware was because it was several days after it was pushed to my router before the router was rebooted to apply .281 firmware. Could it have become corrupted? I will try .281 firmware again and roboot the router straight away if you want me to test it again?
allanlewis

Thanks, @bobpullen - I restarted my router and it picked-up the new software. So far it's working fine in 5GHz: I'll post here if that changes.

paul_edwin
Grafter

Thanks, @bobpullen 

I've restarted the router and it's picked up the .273 firmware as expected.

Only issue I've noticed so far: on my MacBook Pro (connected via wi-fi), going to Advanced Settings > Home Network seems to trigger a reboot of the router, every time. It works fine from my MacBook Air (connected via Powerline ethernet).

If you need more info on that, or want me to try anything else, let me know.

sdav
Hooked

Just for completeness to @bobpullen  and others. My PN Hub1 router has been on software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 since 26/05/2020 and 5GHz WiFi appears to have been working normally. Nothing else to report.

efcstevee
Dabbler

Hi Bob

I am using Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 11/03/19 and  my 5ghz connection has stopped working. I have always used split connections so have told my family to connect their devices through the 2.4Ghz connection. This has only now become noticeable with 4 members of my family now homeworking and the connections being slow. I understand that the 5ghz connection is quicker (I don't really understand all this) so would appreciate it if you could drop the latest software update to my hub so that I can hopefully get the 5 ghz connection working 

What do you need from me to be able to do this?

sdav
Hooked

Having said what I said an hour ago, it seems to me that the 5GHz WiFi range has shortened a little as my laptop used to use 5GHz in the bedroom upstairs but I just noticed it had been on the 2.4GHz wifi. Now I'm a couple of metres away from it and it's on 5Ghz. @bobpullen has the Tx power been turned down on the 5GHz transceiver by the .273 SW update or has other changes that would affect the range been made?

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@sdav... I have the same issue.. 5ghz wifi range gets progressively worse the longer the router has been on, and I've experienced a drop in speed and throughput also. Usually all solved with a router reboot. It's being discussed in a separate thread here.... https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Throughput-issues-5ghz/td-p/1735734
hairybakedbean

@bobpullen could the update please be pushed out to my router (Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 25/03/19) having exact issues described in this great thread - thank you.