cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One 2.4GHz WiFi almost useless since recent Plusnet outage

flamesong
Grafter

Hub One 2.4GHz WiFi almost useless since recent Plusnet outage

Since the Plusnet outage on 16th September, the 2.4GHz WiFi barely works. It shows full strength signal but all connected devices frequently state that whilst they are connected to the network, there is no Internet.

Prior to the outage, it was the preferred network for most devices in the house (some older devices cannot connect to 5GHz either) as it was so reliable and it doesn't make sense that the ADSL going down should affect the WiFi but it was literally working fine in the morning at the moment everything went off and the problem began when everything reconnected.

Pages won't load for about 30s, videos keep buffering etc. yet when I do a speed test, it either fails or it shows the maximum speed for my connection. When I look at the connection on the device, as I mentioned, it shows full WiFi but it intermittently says no internet.

All the devices have the same problem (3x iPhone, 3x iPad, 2x MacBook Pro, 1x Mac Mini, 1x Philips television and one Android TV box) and it occurs in every room, even right next to the Hub One. The Hub One was replaced only a few months ago and I have rebooted I several times since this problem started. Nothing in the house has changed - the Hub One is in exactly the same position as it was on the morning of 16th September.

Unfortunately, the 5GHz network seems quite weak and it only just shows (one bar out of three) when I can see all my neighbours' networks with three bars - one printer I can see is about 15m away and through two stone walls so it is quite frustrating when I can see all the neighbouring networks as I wait for mine to even show up!

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Hub One 2.4GHz WiFi almost useless since recent Plusnet outage

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Have you carried out the normal changes well documented here?
Separate SSID's for 2 frequencies.
Use wifi analyser app, to see which channels in your locale are most used;
then select channel manually, to one least or unused.
HubOne is known for poor wifi; perhaps invest in am OPENREACH one from E Bay.
flamesong
Grafter

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the two frequencies have unique SSIDs.

Is there a specific analyser app that you recommend?

I was using a Netgear D6400 before I got the first Hub One but although it was a far better and more sophisticated ADSL router, allowing me to set up my network as I wanted, I had to stop using it because although it says on the box that it is compatible with Plusnet, when the connection dropped, it would not automatically reconnect and in fact, if I remember correctly, I had to reboot the D6400 every time the connection dropped. I got no real help on either this forum nor the Netgear forum so I had to resort to the Hub One. The D6400 has remained in its box ever since and hence, I am reluctant to outlay any money on another router.

[edit] By the way, this is my third Hub One.

Baldrick1

@flamesong 

If you have an Android phone then try WiFi Analyzer,

I think that @Gel was referring to a BT Smarthub or Smarthub2. These sell for peanuts on auction sites. Setting instructions are pinned to the top of this board.

Moderator and Customer

flamesong
Grafter

No, I don't have an Android phone. My Philips television is Android as is the TV box I have but to be honest, neither are very user friendly for running apps meant for phones as they require touch screens to be used and both devices are in a fixed location; i.e. effectively bolted to walls.

I'll look into the BT Smart Hubs and see if I can get a bargain on eBay.

flamesong
Grafter

Just out of curiosity, what are the Smart Hubs with Halo 3+? They seem to be a lot cheaper.

flamesong
Grafter

@flamesong wrote:

I'll look into the BT Smart Hubs and see if I can get a bargain on eBay.

Wow! I soon got bogged down with model versions and features that I would like or don't want to lose - such as DNS settings and preferred SSIDs. I'm going to have to take my time.

Baldrick1

@flamesong 

I know nothing about Halo.

I don’t know what you mean by preferred SSIDs, as far as I know you can change the SSID on any original Smarthub a.k.a Smarthub 6 or the newer Smarthub 2. I don’t know about the Smarthub 2 but the only original Smarthub that allows you to use your own choice of DNS resolvers are the Business versions.

You can split the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on the original Smarthub but not the Smarthub 2.

Moderator and Customer

flamesong
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.

I have no knowledge of BT hubs, so I was a bit confused about the models, Smart Hub vs Home Hub and business versions but I think I have got my head around it all now. I was considering buying the Smart Hub 2 Business for the DNS option but not having separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz could cause problems (I have a few bulbs and switches some of only connect to 2.4GHz and some to 5GHz and they are a pain to reprogramme) so I am hesitating and looking for an online manual to study.

flamesong
Grafter

Just a quick update to say that my BT Business Smart Hub 2 arrived just now - it took a week to arrive by first class post due to the Royal Mail strike. It's actually the FTTP model but I only use one Ethernet port for my Synology NAS so that didn't concern me.

Anyway, I winged the installation (mainly because it was a bit of a hassle to follow online instructions whilst configuring an offline router) but it took me just a couple of minutes and everything worked fine and a minute to locate the DNS settings. I can tell straight away that the signal strength is considerably better - the only device which does not have a full signal indication is my 2020 iPhone SE which varies from room to room even in the same room as devices with a full signal.

Whilst waiting for the BT Smart Hub 2, I couldn't help wonder what the difference is between the BT Smart Hub 2 and the Plusnet Hub 2 given that apart from the colour, they look the same and after a brief scan through the specifications they looked the same. When I then found Plusnet Hub Ones on eBay, I further wondered what the advantage of the BT Smart Hub was.

Anyway, up and running, thanks.