Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 speed difference

FIXED
David-26
Dabbler

Hub 2 speed difference

Hello everyone, this is not so much a problem rather just an observation. I use the Plusnet hub 1 which after an initial speed issue when I started my contract has ran solidly at around 58mbps with a maximum data rate of almost 63. I had the chance to try the Plusnet Hub 2 while a friends new line was connected. After a reset I signed in and found all speeds were about 10mbps slower with the maximum data rate of 54. I assumed that the performance would be equal to the hub 1.

Anyway my original hub 1 is back up and running with virtually the same speeds as before the test with the new hub 2 so happy days and I won’t be clamouring for an upgrade any time soon 😁

best regards
David

2 REPLIES 2
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub 2 speed difference

Fix

Thanks for the feedback David.

On average, the Hub Two performs better than the Hub One - with higher headline sync speeds (paticularly in the upstream) and fewer errors.

This said, we're talking averages, so there will always be exceptions; particulalry where there is a difference in chipset architecture (the Hub One has a Lantiq/Intel chipset, whilst the Hub Two uses a Broadcom chipset).

The other thing to bear in mind is that the Dynamic Line Management systems may need a period of adjustment when moving from one to the other. Whilst your immediate observations were a reduction in speed, you may actually have found that this remedies itself (and potentially improves) with continued use.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

David-26
Dabbler

Re: Hub 2 speed difference

Hi Bob

Thank you for the quick reply on this.

I did wonder if the hub 2 might need a settling in period as you say. While it was “between homes” I just gave it a try and was only connected for a couple of days. The hub 1 is working great with full home coverage, device connections and good speeds. I’ve read on the forum some people have issues with it but I can’t complain here and more than happy to run with it.

thanks again

David